• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

1brassjunkie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20170312_125803355.jpgIMG_20170312_125816434.jpgIMG_20170312_125843764.jpg

I added some storage space to the front bumper area. Bought a extra set of hydraulic tank brackets, ground off the offset spacer and flipped them around to the right side of the frame. Then added a couple of aftermarket spare fuel can carriers to hold fuel cans or large chocks for winching.

Last edited by a moderator:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did, what you don’t see in the pictures is the gigantic bottle jack on a 6x12. I had it supporting the axle as well.
Right, but bottle jacks can fail, and really jack stands don't - this is why people use jack stands as backups. It looks like your jack stand is on the bare dirt.

rustystud

Right, but bottle jacks can fail, and really jack stands don't - this is why people use jack stands as backups. It looks like your jack stand is on the bare dirt.
Having personally seen hydraulic jacks fail I always use "jack-stands" that are firmly planted. I have also seen jack-stands fail too ! To much weight on a too small jack stand. It shredded the holding "Teeth" like ripping corn off the cobb.

marcel 01

for sure, I use 6 / 6tons jack stands when working on the deuce. "better safe then sorry''
just in the process off replacing the oil seals on the middle axle due to a leak in the brake drumIMG-20180609-WA0004.jpg

Lou e

Looks like you have a nice facility there Marcel, wish I could have my truck indoors but it’s a little big for my standard two car garage... :smile:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
for sure, I use 6 / 6tons jack stands when working on the deuce. "better safe then sorry''
just in the process off replacing the oil seals on the middle axle due to a leak in the brake drumView attachment 731679
WOW ! Using SIX 6-Ton Jacks to levitate a truck that weight 13,000-14,000 lbs should sure render a nice margin of safety.

:goodjob: [thumbzup] :grd: :not worthy:

rustystud

G'day everyone,....

That's why you should always use properly rated equipment for the right load/ weight etc,.....

Aussie.
Well we thought it was. I was working at IHC trucks in Seattle back in the 1970's. A garbage truck got towed in one day having broken down on the freeway. We didn't know it but it was full of garbage ! We could smell it later !
We had to jack up the front end to replace the brakes that had failed and the loose kingpin that had caused the steering problem. I had just jacked up the truck and another mechanic setting on his mobile stool was removing the brakes when the jack-stand shredded it's teeth ! It was a 20 ton stand too. Thankfully it caught on the fifth tooth before it crushed the mechanic setting there ! Thankfully Dave was OK but I think he needed to change his underwear afterwards !
Now before anyone asks, yes there was two jack-stands under the front axle. It was the left one that failed. I can still see and hear that event to this day. Also those where good old American made "Black Hawk" stands then too. Not the cheap Chinese made ones today.

CMPPhil

After read that

......mechanic setting on his mobile stool was removing the brakes when the jack-stand shredded it's teeth ! It was a 20 ton stand too. Thankfully it caught on the fifth tooth before it crushed the mechanic setting there ! ....

Now before anyone asks, yes there was two jack-stands under the front axle. It was the left one that failed. I can still see and hear that event to this day. Also those where good old American made "Black Hawk" stands then too. Not the cheap Chinese made ones today.
Hi Ristystud

After reading that decided to up grade my jack stands, I've been think about it for awhile but your post made my mind up. That is to cut 4 oak blocks to fit under the center shaft of the stand to provide a solid block between shaft and the floor. As I generally raise the axles to the same height this will be simple to do. My fear had not been of the teeth failing but rather the pivot shaft for the safety catch.

The exchange of information between people on SteelSoldiers be they new to working on trucks to those with 30+ years experience it helps keep us thinking about safety.

Cheers Phil

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack Stands are a wonderful invention.

HOWEVER... I have never fully trusted them.

THEREFORE... If I am going to be working along side (out-from-under) the elevated vehicle, I will typically trust my over-rated Jack Stands. When working on my POVs I will use RAMPS if I don't have to remove the wheels and tires.

MOREOVER... IF I will be UNDER the elevated vehicle I will ALWAYS raise the vehicle first with an over-rated JACK, then slip similarly OVER-RATED JACK STANDS under strategic hard-points. BUT... BEFORE going UNDER the vehicle I will next stack timber cribbing under the axles or frame depending upon what components I will be addressing. A stack of solid cribbing has no mechanical point of failure. And I NEVER keep timbers for cribbing that are deteriorating which my adversely effect the compression load the timbers will bear.

My life and health are more valuable than any short-cut that might otherwise jeopardize either my life or health.

Last edited:

rustystud

Hi Ristystud

After reading that decided to up grade my jack stands, I've been think about it for awhile but your post made my mind up. That is to cut 4 oak blocks to fit under the center shaft of the stand to provide a solid block between shaft and the floor. As I generally raise the axles to the same height this will be simple to do. My fear had not been of the teeth failing but rather the pivot shaft for the safety catch.

The exchange of information between people on SteelSoldiers be they new to working on trucks to those with 30+ years experience it helps keep us thinking about safety.

Cheers Phil
I have a good collection of 4"x6" and 6"x6" and 8"x8" pressure treated lumber at hand all the time for cribbing ! I also own over 10ea 16ton jack-stands and two of the 20 ton stands. The cribbing still goes under the truck !
Once you've seen a jack-stand or any safety device fail it really puts the fear of GOD in you ! It also happens so extremely fast too !!! There was no way Dave could have moved from under that truck no matter how fast his reflexes were. It just happened in a split second. BAM !!! It was broke and the truck dropped down.
We ended up installing a new jack-stand of course, along with two more along the frame !!!

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just your typical day of doing chores around the house...

20180616_143403.jpg20180616_144455.jpg

Had been storing a spare engine in the truck, moved it to a pad that's going to become a new workshop that I'll build around the engine.

Just in case anyone's wondering, it's been 26 days since I poured.

Last edited:

KevinGaus

I found out my injector Head was for an old early gen pump. So pulled and serviced a more appropriate one to install. Also started detailing the nutso nonworking mess behind the gauges. Sanded and cleaned the paint off the red markers on the dash. And with a dab of superglue made a small dome that acts like a lense and makes them work better than ever. Hey baby steps. And a BIG thank you, to everyone who’s Lent a hand. I’m learning a lot very fast.

Attachments

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got done installing the civvy turn signal flasher Doghead recommended in his #6 & #12 posts here;
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...al-flasher-repair-option.132184/#post-1633814
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...al-flasher-repair-option.132184/#post-1653747

Found the flasher here for $11.31;
https://www.amazon.com/Tridon-EG23-E...s=eg23+flasher

The mount wasn't really necessary, but I wanted to bolt it down. Found the Clamp here for $1.68;
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner...sulated-Metal-Clamp-1-Pack-PPR-1600/202875644
IMG_20180619_120847488.jpgIMG_20180619_121601724.jpg

3 crimp-on female connectors and 3 pieces of heat shrink, and a few dabs of dielectric grease to keep the contacts fresh, and it works like a charm. Could've used an H4 female plug instead of the 3 female connectors, but just used what I had on hand. Mounted it in the rearward hole where the old flasher unit was mounted...
IMG_20180619_122226934.jpg
Thanks Doghead!

Old flasher unit. Bought new about a year/5,000 miles ago for $60. Power in was solid, ground was good, but flashing power out was sporadic... for as HUGE as they are, frustrating that they aren't made any better.

IMG_20180619_123053224_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Torquewrench

Oh trust me, I have some hairy off-road adventures to tell !!! I was off-roading well before it became a fad. I still have this old photo of me standing on the roof of my truck. There was this "small" water hole (about 12ft in diameter) I just had to drive through. I didn't know it was 6 feet deep !!! That took some doing to get my poor old truck out of it !
My Truck found a hole to China in a local ditch.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks