• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Akicita

I had a tarp folded up for several years. It may be the one in the picture but I'm not sure. Anyway, it was just a but smaller than the cargo cover for the M35 but about the same weight. When I unfolded it, I made ear wigs and spiders and centipedes and critters like that homeless.

I spread the tarp out, sprayed it with bleach and scrubbed it. It didn't take long but made one huckava difference. None of the displaced critters wanted to come back.

So, then I had a stinky tarp. I spread it out so that air could circulate over and under the tarp to take the smell away. That took a bit longer than scrubbing it but it worked. If you don't have the space to spread your tarp out, put it back on the truck but don't tie it down. Instead, use some sticks or whatever you can find to spread the tarp out. I use cheap 1/2 inch diameter PVC pipe. I cut a notch into one end that the rubber straps that are supposed to secure the tarp to the truck fit into. The other end I just lean against the truck so that the tarp is spread out and wind can blow over the truck and through the truck. The PVC may flex a little in the wind but it won't break. If you cut a 10 foot pipe in half, you get two 5 foot "tarp holders". You probably want at least eight (three per side + two in the back). So buy four 10-foot pipes.

Afterwards, you can give the "tarp holders" to your kids or grandkids. They will convert them to Star Wars light swords or find some other use for them.

101128 M35A2 w tarp.jpg

Another Ahab

You and my wife both then !!! We where going down I-405 last week and a semi came over into the lane next to us. My wife became "unhinged" !!! I just kept saying over and over "everything is alright, everything is alright.... " until she calmed down.
You would think that by now she would let that incident go, but it must have really got into her brain case !
Her concern seems normal (having witnessed it all).

It's kind of slipped now into my brain case, too. :3dAngus:

But it's the first and only time I heard about such a thing. I should have paid more attention to that statistics class that I took.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Afterwards, you can give the "tarp holders" to your kids or grandkids. They will convert them to Star Wars light swords or find some other use for them.

View attachment 684032
Another use for the tube. We kayak and canoe on the river a lot and wanted to have some fun with a large group, so I cut 1/2" tube to about 10" and gave each person a bag of small marshmallows. They work great for blow-guns, without anyone getting hurt. I don't think the fish mind either.

Jericho

Guys , maybe I am showing my age, BUT, for ten bucks a tire I get them dismounted at the Commercial tire shop , remount is free if your getting their tires, 10 bucks if they are mounting yours, Cheap Cheap!

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys , maybe I am showing my age, BUT, for ten bucks a tire I get them dismounted at the Commercial tire shop , remount is free if your getting their tires, 10 bucks if they are mounting yours, Cheap Cheap!
I'd have that done every weekend if that was the going rate out here. It's $50 a tire to remove and $50 a tire to mount tube-type split ring wheels. So $1000 for the whole truck. Not quite so cheap. Cheaper if you buy their tires. Surplus tires are significantly cheaper than new, or used commercial for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

I'd have that done every weekend if that was the going rate out here. It's $50 a tire to remove and $50 a tire to mount tube-type split ring wheels. So $1000 for the whole truck. Not quite so cheap. Cheaper if you buy their tires. Surplus tires are significantly cheaper than new, or used commercial for that matter.
Admittedly that's not cheap, but it's still a pretty good price considering the value of a good back that is injury-free.

A grand ($1K) is certainly a hit, but owning a vintage MV like a deuce is never going to be completely cheap.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the years, I had Parkhouse tires in So. Cal. mount tires on split ring rims, now I hear they don't touch them anymore.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the years, I had Parkhouse tires in So. Cal. mount tires on split ring rims, now I hear they don't touch them anymore.
The few shops that will still touch them can now "Name" their prices as a result. The tire shop I worked for in the 90's the rate was $50 an hour for split ring, solid rim, aluminum, whatever it was. The job paid peanuts and you were expected to move quick!

Jericho

WOW Would go back to breaking them down with my backhoe and filling them with the bucket on top Didn't realize how lucky I was. And one of the guys is a retired army m35 / 900 mech

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The few shops that will still touch them can now "Name" their prices as a result. The tire shop I worked for in the 90's the rate was $50 an hour for split ring, solid rim, aluminum, whatever it was. The job paid peanuts and you were expected to move quick!

That's what I understand. Even if there are 9X20 & 11X20 tires available, I wonder if I'll be able to find someone, or afford to have someone them put on. I guess sooner or later I'll have to break down and go to M35A3 super singles. :cry:

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I understand. Even if there are 9X20 & 11X20 tires available, I wonder if I'll be able to find someone, or afford to have someone them put on. I guess sooner or later I'll have to break down and go to M35A3 super singles. :cry:
I had the super singles on MRAP wheels. I went back down to 1100's. I had 900's prior. The MRAPs felt too bulky for my taste. Here is a picture of the difference in height and widths.

I hope these are a happy medium and back to the original look somewhat.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Its not that difficult of a job to do.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the super singles on MRAP wheels. I went back down to 1100's. I had 900's prior. The MRAPs felt too bulky for my taste. Here is a picture of the difference in height and widths.

I hope these are a happy medium and back to the original look somewhat.

I would like to go to the 1100s not only because it keeps the stock look, but I can also pickup a little more top speed. I have been told I'll pickup about 5 mph top end with 1100s, does that sound about right?

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to go to the 1100s not only because it keeps the stock look, but I can also pickup a little more top speed. I have been told I'll pickup about 5 mph top end with 1100s, does that sound about right?
Sounds right. 395's are about 7mph.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another example
Those are the widowmaker wheels. DOT banned the use of those. If we had a customer come in for work on those not only did we have to refuse to work on them, they had to switch them out if they were using their vehicles for commercial use. If they didn't get new wheels we HAD to report it to DOT.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks