• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20170612_064830.jpgIMG_20170612_064810 no licence plate.jpg

Drove Queen Lola to work this morning. It was not entirely by choice, but there are days where the 45 year old army truck appears to be the most reliable means of transportation. I was working on my wife's Subaru yesterday and broke a caliper bracket bolt. Until I can replace that and put it all together, she got my SUV this morning and I took the Deuce.
I don't mind driving the Deuce in traffic, but I do not particularly like having to do rush hour stop and go and trying to find a spot in crowded inner city lots. Leaving way early helps. It will be a 160 km/100 Mile round trip today.

On the plus side, the LDS and overdrive are a joy!

And, yes, there is a wet spot underneath the truck; the IP is wet with diesel; seems to leak a little. Have not yet investigated.

kml9705

Today I added a remote brake fluid reservoir. I put it up by the side vent above the dimmer switch. It was a pretty easy install. I wrapped the hose with a piece of old garden hose as a chafe guard. All went well but after install but I discovered that I had some leaking where the tank clamps onto the mount aua I took it apart to check for cracks and did not find any. I think the clamp wasn't getting tight enough. I put a new clamp on it and it seems to be okay now.

Tank mounted where I can see it while driving.Hose wrapped in old garden hoseHose routed to MC.

I also replaced the turn signal control box. The blinkers seem to be working much better.

I played with the winch a little too. I tested the brake as per the TM, it needed a little adjustment so I took care of that. Next I pulled out about 30 feet of cable and hooked it to the hitch on my F350. I put the F350 in neutral and started winching it in my driveway. All of a sudden there was a loud noise and the truck stopped winching :shock: Well apparently I broke a shear pin. Couldn't figure out why I would break a shear pin pulling the F350 in the driveway. Well, this is what I discovered upon further investigation.

20170612_182139.jpg20170612_182436.jpg

Cable jammed up a bit. I was able to get it cleared with a small pry bar. I wound the cable back up manually and secured the chain. I guess I'm ordering some shear pins tonight.

And of course my son and I went for a ride :grin:

Last edited:

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished installing the G177's I just got from 98G.

In the process of inspecting all the hubs, brakes, and adjusting things while I had it apart, I noticed the front brakes were locked. I thought I smelled brakes the last time I drove it, but I was driving in a lot of stop/go city traffic. Backing the adjusters off all the way didn't help. I cracked both front bleeders open and fluid shot out like a fire hose and the brakes released. Pumped them back up and they locked again. Opened bleeders to release. Pulled front drums back off and nothing out of order, no issues with the rear brakes. MC was just replaced about a year ago. Found my front middle brake hose clogged up and failed. Decided to go ahead and replace all the rubber lines with Stainless steel braided lines like peashooter used to sell. Used his build list actually! Got the old ones removed, some required a lot of heat to get them to crack loose. Installed the new ones, they fit like a dream. Re-adjusted and bled the brakes. Nice hard pedal, fronts now release!!!

Truck drives like a dream...coming from MRAP tires to 1100's, it feels like I added power steering! What a difference! Love the look and Handling of the G177s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a difference! Love the look and Handling of the G177s.

The great looks of your truck has helped me change plans.

I'm thinking of doing 11.00 on my A3 rear and don't have rims, but have a friend with some tires I could get reasonable. I was going to make the deuce into a 4x4 and use 395's on it, but the 11.00 would be a great alternative, leaving both axles. I could use the 395's I bought on my 929 then and keep the carry capacity of the full size M35 bed.

Are there any differences in the rims that fit the M35 to put on the 11.00's? How close do they come to the tires rubbing together?

Edit...11.00 not available as thought....need both rim and 11.00 (8).

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL...Who has some new cheap budd rims Chris? Maybe trade for a couple of good A3 with 14.5's.

Edit....need 8 or 9 rims + 11.00 tires....have some A3 wheels.

Last edited:

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The great looks of your truck has helped me change plans.

I'm thinking of doing 11.00 on my A3 rear and don't have rims, but have a friend with some tires I could get reasonable. I was going to make the deuce into a 4x4 and use 395's on it, but the 11.00 would be a great alternative, leaving both axles. I could use the 395's I bought on my 929 then and keep the carry capacity of the full size M35 bed.

Are there any differences in the rims that fit the M35 to put on the 11.00's? How close do they come to the tires rubbing together?
Thank you! I'm running 55psi in the rear and no rubbing together at all. About 1 to 1-1/2" of space. Glad I saved your truck from the "knife" LOL.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you! I'm running 55psi in the rear and no rubbing together at all. About 1 to 1-1/2" of space. Glad I saved your truck from the "knife" LOL.

I'll have to live with the 14.5 singles until I can work out the 11.00's. I come up short both wheels and tires to change to duals. I'll start collecting to eventually go to the 11.00's on the rear.
Part of the reason I wanted to change was not having side access to the bed. The rigid sides make it difficult to get a load on. I made a frame to fit the OEM Deuce (on the ground in the picture) and have tandem Dexter axles with HMMWV wheels.
Today I bid and got a LMTV bed. It will replace the OEM deuce bed and the deuce bed becomes a dump trailer. While I have the old one off, the frame and drive gear will get painted.

GWW35, I'll go back to your pictures and see if the hubs are "flipped". On the singles on the rear, I like the dish out but I'll leave then in if that is how yours is set up so when I do come up with 9 rims and tires, I can change without getting into the hubs.

Edit...GWW35, I can't tell if your hubs are "out" or "in"...please tell.

Attachments

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
In the process of inspecting all the hubs, brakes, and adjusting things while I had it apart, I noticed the front brakes were locked. I thought I smelled brakes the last time I drove it, but I was driving in a lot of stop/go city traffic. Backing the adjusters off all the way didn't help. I cracked both front bleeders open and fluid shot out like a fire hose and the brakes released. Pumped them back up and they locked again. Opened bleeders to release. Pulled front drums back off and nothing out of order, no issues with the rear brakes. MC was just replaced about a year ago. Found my front middle brake hose clogged up and failed. Decided to go ahead and replace all the rubber lines with Stainless steel braided lines like peashooter used to sell. Used his build list actually! Got the old ones removed, some required a lot of heat to get them to crack loose. Installed the new ones, they fit like a dream. Re-adjusted and bled the brakes. Nice hard pedal, fronts now release!!!
Oh Please come and help me replace my brake lines like yours, Please

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks