• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my filter setup

randini

I have been trying to come up with a way to simply and cheaply filter waste motor oil. I deceided on a stand that would hold a 5-gallon bucket, that would drain through a filter bag, into another 5-gallon bucket. This is what I came up with. I mounted the top bucket on an angle so it would drain from one side, more completely. The filter bag rests in a frame to hold it. I have about $10 in steel, I used (#3) 1x1x48 and 1x1/4 bar stock.
I initally drilled a very small drain hole, with the idea that I would need to limit the flow. The filter bag can handle the flow very well, and does not fill up more than an inch or two, in the bottom of the bag. I think I will increase the hole size after this first batch, although. I did thin the WMO with gasoline to speed the process. I first tried a 25 micron bag. It went so well, that I then went to a 1 micron bag (just experimenting!).
I figure I can do almost 5 gallons each batch, and probably a couple of batches a day. I will let you know how it goes.

Attachments

swampzr2

Do the filter bags work as good as a canister spin on filter. I like the idea of it being gravity fed, but I would use more than one filter just incase something gets through. put some oil through it so we can see the progress.

Stack several bags in one. 50,25,10,1 is how we do it. After a couple hundred gallons, change out the bigger bags.

Jimma

Take the bags and put a 25, 10, 1 all stacked together. Really want to speed it up, heat the oil and it will run through like crazy. You can heat it over a propane burner and just warm it up. It will fly through the filters. Or when summer gets here put it out in the sun to naturally get warm then filter it.

'48Chevy6

Our first filter setup was a 12 volt pump with a 5 micron absolute canister that clogged after 7 gallons. We made a bag filter similar to randini's, taking it down to 1 micron nominal, and then put it through the 5 absolute. Other than that, we have not done a lot with canisters.

Randini, you have a good setup there but I would still find a way to but it through an absolute 5 micron/ water block canister. We use a Luber-finer LFF8030

Happy Filtering and keep us posted,

Zach

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks very good! So the filter just hangs under the top bucket and catches the oil as it leaks out? Will it stay put?

Keep us posted on your experiment and let us know your final configuration and results!

Rick

randini

I created a triangle of steel where the filter bag rests. It seems very secure in this holder. Jimma had a good idea I didnt think of, he put 3 filter bags together (50,25,1 micron) in that order.
Thanks

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, a single pass through three staged filter mediums does sound smart!

Watch out for a slower flow rate, I'd hate to see you have a spill and for you to get oil all over your flip flops!

Rick

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run the exact same set up except my filter bag is hung from the rafters on a rope with a small bungee to keep it from spinning. I pour from one bucket into the bag which hangs over another bucket.

My filter bag is 10 microns. I pre filter with a paint filter but I doubt if it does any good. I'm pretty small scale - less than 50 gallons per year.

Last edited:

cbvet

Nice work on your setup. Might be okay if you don't use much oil & if you have a lot of time.

I started out using gravity feed through bag filters. When oil is warm & filter is new, it works pretty well.
But once the filter gets a little dirty, and/or the oil gets cooler, it's just way too slow.
Now I "force" the oil through bag filters. Takes about 3 hours, mostly unattended, to filter 55 gallons through 2 filter setups.

randini

Ok, so here is the rest of the story. I now have filters bag, inside of filter bag. First bag, 50micron, then 25, finally 1micron. The final (outside) bag is 1micron. I thin the WMO with gasoline, probably 1 gallon gas=4 gallon WMO, before filtering. I do probably 10 gallons/day (2 batches @ 4+ gallons). It takes about 30 min for a bucket to drain through the bags.
The Truck runs great. There is no change in power, that I can tell. It does seem to have a darker exhaust, than just Diesel, and smells different. The engine is quiter. Anyone know why this would be? So far I am very happy with the results. It is more of a mess, when I spill oil on the tank although.
I would like to store this filtered WMO, for future use. How long could I store a 50gallon barrell of filtred WMO, and still be usable? Assuming a good sound steel barrel, sealed well?
Thanks

'48Chevy6

Storage term is not a problem. Old stale gas seems to work as well as fresh gas for this purpose. The only thing you may find with gas/oil mix is the longer you let it set, the more slime settles out to the bottom of the barrel, which doesn't hurt a thing if you leave it in the bottom.

Thanks for the updates, keep 'em coming.

swampzr2

Any new pics of the process running in action?

Ok, so here is the rest of the story. I now have filters bag, inside of filter bag. First bag, 50micron, then 25, finally 1micron. The final (outside) bag is 1micron. I thin the WMO with gasoline, probably 1 gallon gas=4 gallon WMO, before filtering. I do probably 10 gallons/day (2 batches @ 4+ gallons). It takes about 30 min for a bucket to drain through the bags.
The Truck runs great. There is no change in power, that I can tell. It does seem to have a darker exhaust, than just Diesel, and smells different. The engine is quiter. Anyone know why this would be? So far I am very happy with the results. It is more of a mess, when I spill oil on the tank although.
I would like to store this filtered WMO, for future use. How long could I store a 50gallon barrell of filtred WMO, and still be usable? Assuming a good sound steel barrel, sealed well?
Thanks

Jimma

I have found great prices on the internet through dudadiesel in Alabama. Good prices, fast shipping, no minimum orders. They have everything for filtering this stuff.

Randini, you will notice a different smell based on the oil. Mine can smell like fried fish, french fries or chineese food depending on which oil I am running. I also have noticed the truck runs quieter. The only downside I have experienced is if I have too great of a mix of wvo in the tank the truck takes longer to start. It turns over for a bit before starting. Has anyone else experienced that. When I increase the desiel content starts are easier. However, once its running it is fine with a high concentration of wvo.

randini

My Filter bags came from Duda-diesel also. I beleive they were the 7x16? or close to that. I bought them through amazon.com. I have a 50 micon, inside a 25 micron, inside a 1 micron. I am doing about 8 gallons/day (2 batches, 4 gal/batch) It probably takes about 30-min to filter. I have never timed it. I fill the top bucket, and go do something. When I get back it done. I dont have the patients to stand and watch for 30 min.....

rjinga

You've inspired me. I think I'm going to build a rig as close to yours as possible. I can't weld though; I wonder if PVC pipe would work as a frame? Also, I think I'm going to add one first step - a 5 gallon EZ-strainer. They goes down to 75 microns and they're reuseable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks