• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

diesel chainsaws?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paul, how do you like that Husqvarna? I'm torn between the Husky and a Stihl. Now someone is trying to convince me to buy an Echo. Always had good luck in the past with the Stihl, just looking for opinions.

devilman96

Stihl over a Husky any day!!! If they can survive the bone heads we have for a crew they can survive anything!

The only glitch I have ever found is if you try to do the manly two arm yank -n- start you will break the starter paw off eventually. Guess thats why the instructions say to put it on the ground and pull it! (seems to be a difficult thing for our kiddies)

Armada

Yellow! McCullah? :drool: (...and that's not drool...). :)
They used to be a good saw many years ago.
I had one of those yellow McHoffahs (saw would die for no reason) a long time ago, and the bar oiler kept failing on it. That pos still sits in the corner of the garage, never to cut again. It had always been a hard starter since new too.
The residential class saws like the Echo and the Pull-on...and-on and-on (Poulan, hard to start also), and the McCullahs of later years, are what you want to stay away from if you will be doing a lot of cutting.
I've put a lot of time on both the Stihl and Husqvarna. They are equal in my opinion. They are in the commercial class and can both be abused and neglected (to a point of course), yet will always easily start and run. They used to be all metal, now some composite pieces are used, so they're both a bit lighter. Granted, neither one are built like they used to be, nothing ever is, but they're still the most reliable saws on the market. I've had these last couple saws for over 10 years, and like I said, they have never failed me. You can't go wrong with either one. 2cents

csheath

I have an old Poulan bow saw I need to get out of the shed and go through the fuel system on again. Not sure I could start it any more. It had so much compression it would jerk my shoulder out of joint when I was much younger. It would sure nuff walk through any hardwood you laid it on with a professional raker chain. Cut up a huge water oak with it once and the wood was so hard it had sparks flying off the chain.

It are green but not the right shade. ;)

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is too funny. What crossed my mind over the weekend, while staring at the tree line for a bit? Wonder if I can find a diesel chainsaw​.

Check out my 1968 remington military chain saw. Has all the data plates and even has the waterproof spark plug wire like the truck!
There is a thread over on G503 concerning accessories you put with your vehicle, when you display it. Many suggestions and observations, but I don't think any of them talk about chainsaws. :-D

Guyfang

Staff member
I used a hydraulic chainsaw that was part of the CEE truck BII. Worked great. We used it to cut up a train load of timbers, left over when the unit got some new equipment, to feed into someones stove.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks