• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

acetylene shortage ?

ODdave

So alot of us on here are mechanicaly inclined and do our own work, whats the scoop on the acetylene shortage thats going on? Whos gonna be affected? Im bummin.........

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't heard there was a shortage. It's been about a month or so since I've bought any though.

It doesn't work as well but you can change your tip and regulator and use propane if you have to.

ODdave

I bought some last month, my buddy went to fill his up last week they said "nope, sorry" he told me about it and i told him he was full of ****. I was borred so i googled it, shure as **** he was right, only select people are getting it........

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
US airgas is in the middle of being bought out by somebody bigger it might have something to do with that .

A

A/C Cages

I have both, only use the plasma
I just called my supplier when I read this, he said its a buyout messup and wont effect me.
Seems someone tried to corner the market during the buyout of another company.
Can anyone say,,Insider trading?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
plasma is real nice but there are still some things a torch just works better and is more handy. It's hard to heat rusted bolts and such with a plasma cutter.

A

A/C Cages

plasma is real nice but there are still some things a torch just works better and is more handy. It's hard to heat rusted bolts and such with a plasma cutter.

You can heat them with the plasma BUT its makes a real mess of them.

I use my acy only for heating things like that. Plasma for mutiple cutting. water jets for unusual cuttings. and laser cutters for those fine detailed cuts.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread reminds me, I saw a setup at a trade show a few years back that used gasoline instead of acetylene. The guy doing the demo made it look like it worked very well. I don't have any idea how it would work in the real world though.

rideni

I work for the railroad and we use nothing but propane, I also use propane, I can cut 14 inches thick in one cut with my propane torch. Also a lot more safe

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used nothing but propane since I learned how to use a torch in the muffler business. I'd never think of using anything else. Lets see, that would have been 30 years now cutting with propane. Hank Hill loves me!

idM1028

I don't even think you need an oxyacetylene torch. From a list of tools and their uses that was sent to my dad from his buddy:
"Oxyacetylene torch: This device is used almost exclusively to light various objects in your garage on fire. Also useful for igniting the grease inside a brake drum you're trying to get the bearing race out of." rofl
Sorry, I just couldn't resist. . .

acmunro

I'm also in the propane group. Just cutting and heating for me I don't weld with it. Propane is more stable as a gas and easier to get. Different hose and a different tip that's all I needed. Works good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks