• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

acetylene shortage ?

blybrook

This is the first that I've heard of a shortage, so thanks for the heads up. I haven't filled my 120+ cf tank since I bought it 3 years ago! I have setups for propane & acetylene, typically use the propane for cutting and switch to acetylene for brazing.

Same regulators, hoses; just a different tip on my end. Works great for my use.

Got the 100lb propane tank for free, was $85 to fill locally last summer. Haven't used 1/4 of the tank with all my cutting. I know I'll need to recert the tank before getting it refilled, it expires in August this year!

Hmm, maybe will consider refilling the acetylene tank next time I've got it out just to be safe. Am planning to do some body work to my M101 to get a wider bed at the wheel wells and will need the torches....

Thanks for the heads up on this "shortage"

MatthewH

Its my understanding from the local airgas minion that the kentuckey plant supplied michigan and the surrounding states. Because of this, any avaliable acetylene that comes to michigan, that dow chemical gets first dibs on it, the the leftovers gets distributed between the airgas stores. The airgas minion said that acetylene will become more exspensive, and they will no longer sell new contracts, just "fill" old ones as tanks are avaliable.

Have used both acetylene and propane to cut/weld, and prefer acetylene because it does burn hotter, but like propane because i can get it filled any day of the week, versus 9-5 m-f at airgas.

If anybody wants, i have a chart that explains the btu differences and other characteristics of propane, acetylene, and mapp gas. Last time i figured it cost about the same to run acetylene or propane, because acetylene costs more, but you end up using double amount of propane to do an equal amount of work. ( based on prices and the chart i had mentioned. the calculations were rough, but to me, i wasn't worth the switch)

My long 2 cents worth

Taurus454

Yes, I got a letter about the shortage from my welding supply store. The plant that blew up in Kentucky apparently produced the majority of acetylene in the USA. I use it for TIG welding. It always seems to be something that is going up in price lately doesn't it.

BTW I live in Maryland and am limited on the size of acetylene tanks I can buy. I'm using the short tanks that have about 120 PSI when filled. Anybody else have a limit on the size of tank they can buy where they live?

Tom

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to my local independent welding supply about this a couple of weeks ago. He claimed this is all a Airgas problem and Airgas is trying to make people think that the shortage is industry wide. He said he had all the acetylene you want and his supplier said there is no shortage on their end. He also said Airgas sent out a letter to their customers that they would be on a quota equal to half of their normal usage. I don't know how true this is but it's what he told me. I do know that he's been trying to compete and take some of the bigger accounts from the local Airgas and he may have found his chance. He's been swamped since since the "shortage".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks