• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

acetylene shortage ?

ODdave

What about the regulator? can i use the same one i have for my acetylene? I have a VERY expensive set and dont want them damaged. I am definatly thinking of switching!

pryorfire48

I talked to guy that works at a carbide plant here in Oklahoma. The one in Kentucky was about 3 times the size of the one here. He is saying that depending on the lawsuits that are coming about they might bankrupt the company and shut down the Kentucky plant permanently. So far 1 operator has died and another is in critical condition. The buyout will again depend on the lawsuits. They have started soom of the rebuilding process but the furnace has heavy damage.

paulfarber

For heating things up I use MAPP. Its hotter than propane. Propane may take a minute to heat up metal to pop a rusted bolt, MAPP does it in 10-20 seconds. Its available in the plumbing section... costs slightly more than propane, but not to much.

I use acetylene for cutting metal.. gasoline if for way thick stuff (inches) and switching to propane would not be economical.... I don't gas weld that often (Mig for sheet metal and up to 1/4in) and what little cutting that needs gas (vs a cut off wheel) will not justify the cost.

There has been an Argon shortage (well, they claim there is one) for a few years.... never has any issues getting any for MIG.

acmunro

What about the regulator? can i use the same one i have for my acetylene? I have a VERY expensive set and dont want them damaged. I am definatly thinking of switching!
I would check with the manufacturer on your regulator or your gas supply store. I was able to just use my regulator. If in doubt you could just buy an inexpensive new fuel gas regulator and save your good one. As I said before get new hoses for use with propane, and the proper tip for your outfit. I like the tips for propane better for cutting because they are two piece and easier to take apart and clean out the slag. As far as different cylinders and valves, I just use a gas grill tank - keep a couple on hand. - Easy.

For cutting I don't notice any difference I think it works very good.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's more stable and burns hotter.
LP is more stable but it doesn't burn as hot as acetylene.

Of the most widely used torch fuels, acetylene burns the hottest and is why it's the fuel of choice. Mapp gas is the next best thing with LP comming in third.

LP will work fine but you might have to go with a bigger tip and/or turn the pressure up to cut or heat a given piece of steel. From my experience it doesn't cut quite as clean as acetylene.

A grill tank will work fine for using LP or if you want a little more volume go with a LP tank that is used on RVs or find a used towmotor tank.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this info in the "Fortney Welding Manual". Acetylene- 5800deg, Natural Gas- 5025deg, LP- 5200deg. It list Mapp gas with a BTU of 2250 but doesn't give temp. It does say Mapp is the next best thing to acetylene.

acmunro

On a side note - Many places produce propane. I know of several just in our area. It is removed (stripped) from natural gas. In PA there is a natural gas boom. I have also used oxy/natural gas for heating and cutting- It also works good but is not very portable.

acmunro

Also as far as clean cuts - I worked for a company that built heavy equipment trailers. We used oxy/natural gas for cutting the holes to install lights and what not - I could do a really nice job with it. Personally I don't see much of a difference what fuel gas is used when cutting or heating when used with oxygen.

army_nurse

we have oxy/natural gas ( propane when we are portable) and a plasma cutter. only use the torch for heating stuff and those tight areas that the plasma cutter wont get to. Recently purchased a miller 875 auto plasma cutter. WOW to be in such a little case it sure packs a punch. setting the entire system up on a 105 trailer to be able to do salvage work on the go. best tool we own for the job. the bottom line is some time you have to work around obstacles. I very much recommend a plasma cutter. its so much faster and with just a little prep you can have a portable rig to work any where.

nk14zp

From welding tips and tricks.
The inner cone of the acetylene flame is where the greatest amount of heat and BTU delivery will be obtained. The amount of heat delivery of the acetylene flame is 1,450 BTU/CF.

Propane is a clean burning gas.

It requires 4 parts of oxygen, mixed with one part of propane to provide complete combustion of the fuel. It produces 2600 BTU’s CF, which is the most of the fuel gases, making it a popular choice for heating. Again, the outer or secondary cone of the flame is where most of the BTU’s are delivered.

bigjmcconnell

Wow, I didn't know anything about the shortage until I read the thread. I guess I live under a rock:mrgreen:

I don't fill mine very often. I'm interested to hear about propane set-ups though. I remember cutting with propane on my dad's torch, but I can't remember what he changed, if anything:roll:

PaulbusMax

You can heat them with the plasma BUT its makes a real mess of them.

I use my acy only for heating things like that. Plasma for mutiple cutting. water jets for unusual cuttings. and laser cutters for those fine detailed cuts.
I use all of that plus my Dilithium Crystal Warp Accelerator, Cellulose tipped scrutinizer and Protracted Pubimium Sphincter apparatus.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got these yesterday in one of my briefings.

April 12, Louisville Courier-Journal – (Kentucky) Louisville plant importing calcium carbide to meet demand. Carbide Industries has begun to import calcium carbide from Mexico and several other countries to meet its customers’ needs, while investigators continue to look into what caused a fatal explosion that killed two workers at its plant in Louisville, Kentucky, in March, the Courier-Journal reported April 12. The plant manager said the calcium carbide is coming to Louisville in drums, where it is being processed and shipped either to customers, or to a sister plant in Calvert City where it is converted to acetylene gas, or to another related facility in Oklahoma. “It’s a lot more expensive, for us and our customers,” he said. “We can’t do it long term.” Production at the Rubbertown plant stopped March 21, when its furnace exploded. Calcium carbide was produced by mixing quicklime and coke and heating it to 3,800 degrees. Calcium carbide is used to make acetylene gas, in chemical and steel manufacturing, and in metal cutting. The plant manager and local fire investigators said they still do not know what caused the blast.

and

April 12, WDRB 41 Louisville – (Kentucky) Carbide Industries operates differently following fatal explosion. Carbide Industries employees returned to work the week of April 11, operating the Louisville, Kentucky plant in a much different way following a fatal plant explosion that killed two workers March 21. The plant manager said 130 employees returned to work focused on transitioning the plant from carbide production to carbide shipping. The company’s bringing in the product from countries such as Mexico, China, and Sweden to fill its orders. “In June, we’ll have 100 percent of our customers’ requirements coming in drums, and it takes a lot of work to open them up, empty them, put them in the proper containers for our customers and ship them,” according to the plant manager. He said it is not a profitable solution — just a way to get by. “Our target is April 2012 to start it up.” Yet nothing moves forward until they find a cause to the explosion. The Chemical Safety Board, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and arson investigators have all combed the scene but have not released a report yet.

Josh

Man... I just went to fill my tank today. a 60cu tank cost me 62 bucks. 3 months ago, it was 33. Maybe a switch to propane is in my future also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks