• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Post purchase Inspection San Antonio

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going up to bleed the brakes, swap batts, and top off the master cylinder tomorrow for (hopefully) a drive-off recovery on wednesday.
I'd offer to help but I'm actually assisting with the recovery of a MKT in Canyon Lake tomorrow. Feel free to drop by later if you'd like and I'll take you to lunch and show you my blown wheel cylinder.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been scraping to get the money to buy and recover just one for almost a year. You would be doing me a big solid. I will definitely owe you. The event is 5825 and lot is 7103.
Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan,

Good on ya for saving for a truck. I wish you a good time making the recovery and hope your truck is a good one.

Rick

TexAndy

Just made it back with my latest deuce. And I even got to OFFROAD it on the way home.

Got off I-37 to get a little diesel, then got back on the frontage road and drove that for a few miles... until it just ran out. Backed up a couple hundred yards and took the slightly beaten path back onto the interstate spur that others had boldly blazed before me.

Anyhoo... possibly bad news ODw/Envy.

I hopped in your truck and pressed the brake pedal and it went straight to the floor with no resistance whatsoever. I tried pumping it a couple of times but nada.

Two of your tires are completely bald. One of those doesn't appear to have any air pressure in it. The rest of the tires seem like they've got some pressure, tho.

I picked up a truck once that the break pedal behaved like yours and the problem turned out to be slightly rusted stuck WCs. The fix was easily done with some hose, barb fittings, and a small 12V air compressor and a regulator. You could probably use a pump up sprayer instead of an air compressor tho.

Another thing it might be is the vent on the MC cap. I bled my brakes and it only barely improved my pedal. Then I noticed that with the MC cap off, I had MUCH firmer brakes, which lead me to investigate the vent. Could be yours has a similar issue.

I didn't check your brake fluid level, sorry. I was in a hurry.

Flipped the accesory switch and got a medium weak low air warning buzz. So the batts have *some* juice. I didn't try to start it, tho.

Good luck.

ODw/envy

Sounds like you had a little adventure of your own.

Sounds like what I was expecting. I had already ordered 2 wheel cylinders and an MC rebuild kit this am. Did you happen to notice any major leaks under the truck?

A little annoyed about the tires. I suppose I'll rob the 105 for spares in the mean time.

I do have an air compressor on my SuperDuty, which should help.

Thanks again,
Ryan

TexAndy

None that I could see.

Remember to use a regulator if you're going to apply some pressure to the MC.

Also, don't be afraid of the WC rebuild kits. The problems with WCs that I've generally found isn't with the body itself, but with the internal parts. The rebuild kits are actually quite a bit better than the originals. And they're dirt cheap. Like 2 bucks or something apiece.

If your WC body has some corrosion on the inside, you can get a WC hone tool for a few bucks at harbor freight or northern tool. With that and a cordless drill, you can rehab and reuse a WC body in no time at all.

ODw/envy

Anyone local have a tow bar they want to part with for a few days. I would buy it outright and sell it back less a service fee. Or keep it. It would be up to the owner. I thought I would have 1 more week, but lo and behold when you want inefficiency it will not be there.

TexAndy

What kind of towbar and what are you trying to do?

I've got a large with the dual purpose feet, so you could theoretically use it to tow a deuce with a deuce. But I wouldn't reccommend doing that for any great distance.

ODw/envy

I am driving from Tucson in my super duty w/ my tools. Ideally, I am planning to get the truck running and tow the SD home with the deuce. I was hoping to find something locally. Just a stab in the dark.

I may just have to buy one and sell it later. No problem though.

I am adapting the custom brush guard/bumper assembly on my truck to accept the military bar. I was fabricating a custom bar to suit my needs better but now I do not have time to order the parts.

TexAndy

What size pin are the shackles on the pickup truck going to use? The feet on my bar will work with either the M1009 size or the M35A2 size (two sets of holes, offset from eachother).

I have no idea if it would work for your application.

ODw/envy

I can go either way and be compatible. I am patterning them for the mil bar. I am leaning toward 1" for the extra strength of the available shackles.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Military medium size tow-bar with 3/4 and 1' feet.
You are welcome to use it for a week.

ODw/envy

I have a Military medium size tow-bar with 3/4 and 1' feet.
You are welcome to use it for a week.
That is very generous. I may take you up on it. The only problem is you are 180 mile in the opposite direction. If I were to take you up on it I would have to drive up there on, Sunday to Tuesday, go pick up the truck the following Mon-Wed, and then drive up and return the bar the following Sun-Tues.

If you are OK with that I might take you up on it. I am still exploring my options. Another $400-600 on a bar will sure strain my budget.

Thanks,
Ryan

ODw/envy

I probably couldn't afford to buy one but have you thought about looking over any of the Deuces that are there for auction?
Yeah, if I can I will certainly look at whatever you like. I was going to post a "Preview/do you need anything hauled thread" in the next day or two. I really hate spending all that time and money driving an empty truck.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is very generous. I may take you up on it. The only problem is you are 180 mile in the opposite direction. If I were to take you up on it I would have to drive up there on, Sunday to Tuesday, go pick up the truck the following Mon-Wed, and then drive up and return the bar the following Sun-Tues.

If you are OK with that I might take you up on it. I am still exploring my options. Another $400-600 on a bar will sure strain my budget.

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan, I can meet you half way if you want.
Just let me know[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks