• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 Resurrection

Oldfart

Some perloined photos of Ghostdrivers M43 at last weekend's Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado Camp Out before a Convoy to the Elizabeth Stampede Rodeo Parade. As you can see, she had help cooking the hamburgers.

Attachments

Oldfart

More progress on the Restoration

The carb got a rebuild today with a kit from Boyce. Paint has been added in a few places. Ghostdriver discovered new cans of paint did not mix to quite the same color using the old paint ratios. Trifocals do not work well when laying out straight lines with masking tape (having a red / green color deficiency doesn't help either.). Thank goodness there are younger eyes willing to help that can tell colors and see straight lines.

Advances in restoration before the MVCC displays at the August Air Show.

Attachments

Last edited:

Oldfart

Jollyroger's Photos

More photos from Jollyrogers do everything cell phone.

Attachments

Oldfart

Ghostdriver splashed in 9 gallons of gas and drove "Faith" (her M43) to the Rocky Mountain Airshow around noon. It ran well and was able to reach 50+ mph in spots. The carb seems to be idling a bit fast after the more than hour drive. I think we can knock 50 to 100 rpm off the idle when it returns from the Air Show. Photos later.

zout

Absolutely awesome pics and great progress on the 43 - taking it out has to be exhilerating (sorry for the spelling) But it is fun driving these.

I understand the turn down idle part - with hardly any miles on these you just have to keep reminding yourself they are still breaking in and far from being "set".

Giving this ole 43 a sanding and coat of new skin - will not get into it here on your thread as this is about yours and I am not into hijacking threads.

But great update pics and glad to see all rock and rollin along out there.

We all need to find a way to move closer to each other - are ya taking applications for hire out there - I can live in my 109 in the back 40.

Oldfart

Ghostdriver has a couple of litters in the back (one has a pair of pants, John Deere ranch jacket and some old Justin boots all stuffed with paper and a plastic pumpkin head dummy for a rider). She has other issues like an oil pressure gauge that works off and on and seat cushions that need to get covered, but it runs and runs well.
Wondered how your M43 was doing. Had not heard much since the GA show.
Economy in the toilet here. Published state GDP is better than most, but largely because of the dark economy from Hughes and other military contract companies that don't release info publically. That could change. Hope the new deep oil finds on the eastern plains can actually produce. If so, it should start to turn our local economy around. I think the oil exploration currently going on is what has our unemployment figures lower than the national average.
There ought to be some way for OD addicts to get some face time with their counterparts.

Ghostdriver

She's beautiful, isn't she? Runs like a top too. She'll go faster than you want, because you have military bias tires hunting around in the ruts on the road, combined with a lot of body roll because she's top heavy, and then a tendency to want to dive right during firm braking because the drums aren't adjusted.... She's a blast.:driver:

Oldfart

You gotta love that 200 lb. drivers door!

Rick

And it takes a roll down of the driver's door window plus a dislocatable elbow to get the tire rack loose before you can open the door. Ghostdriver told me that a ride along medic was nessary to help the driver get out of the ambulance,

3dAngus

What a great and inspirational family build story. That Ghostdriver is an inspiration for us all. Her perservance, patience, and skills give me the kind of motivation I need to get my M-37 done. Not sure I could do anywhere NEAR as good a job, but I'm gonna work at it. Thanks.

Oldfart

ressurection displayed

Ghostdriver has managed to get her M43 out to be seen. Here are a few photos of an elementary school honor the veterans event that the Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado provided some back ground displays.M43 Creekside img_2401.jpgM43 Creekside img_2423.jpgM43 Creekside img_2434.jpgM43 Creekside img_2445.jpgM43 Creekside img_2448.jpgM43 Creekside img_2470.jpg

Oldfart

M43 Santa Run

Ghostdrivers place of employment decided to help out a young solider's family with some Christmas presents. The delivery sleigh was Ghostdriver's M43 "Faith". Here is a photo of the present loading followed by Mr. & Mrs. Santa arriving at the young soldiers home (he was home for the holidays). The last photo is the soldiers son with Buzz Lightyear.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks