• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M146 RV Conversion

oldMan99

That would be a cool rig! How long is the frame behind the cab of a m927?
I checked the TM ( http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-2320-272-24-1.pdf ) and did not see it. (I don't think it is in there but I did take a look for it).

The bed is 20' so I am GUESSING/ESTIMATING that from behind the cab to the end of the frame rails is approximately the same. If I remember correctly there is a gap between the cab and the front of the bed and the bed overhangs the back of the frame rail by approximately the same amount. So, until somebody goes out and actually takes a tape and gets a real measurement, for sake of rough calculations say 20'.

Don't forget that there is already a fair amount of frame overhang on the rear of the M927 in stock form.

The M146 is either 275" (22.916' - Early model) or 286 13/16" (Figuer 287" = 23.916' - Late model) That means roughly 3 to 4 feet of trailer overhanging the end of the frame and don't forget, that frame is already several feet behind the aft tandem axle. Your rear overhang would likely be in the 8-10' (Maybe even as much as 11-12' !) range.

In my estimation, that is way to much. Unless you leave it more or less empty your going to be unloading a lot of weight (likely way to much) from the front axle and that could cause handling/braking issues, especially in any sort of emergency maneuver. Also, don't forget that when you have a rear overhang the "Back of the bus" swings WAY out in a right turn. Assuming you make a right turn from the right lane, at the apex of the turn the back left corner of your vehicle would not only completely block the left lane but would likely cross the "Centerline" into oncoming traffic as well.

If you really wanted to use the M146 you would really need to length the wheelbase in order to keep the rear overhang reasonable.

Just for reference; The big "Prevost" bus motor coaches are roughly the same length as a conventional "Greyhound" passenger bus. If you measure the wheelbase of these things (Center of front axle to the center between the tandem axles) you will get roughly 26 1/2'.

The wheelbase on the M927 is 215" (17.916') so if you consider the Prevost length the absolute maximum you do have roughly 8.5' that you can extend the frame.

Remember however, that to turn a Prevost takes a huge amount of space. And to make matters much worse, your M927 with the same wheel base will not turn nearly as well as a Prevost. Because of the mechanics involved in the front driving axle you can not turn the wheels nearly as sharply on the M927 as you can on that bus. (I looked in the TM for the stock turning radius of the M927 and could not find it. Not saying it is not in there, only that I could not locate it).

What you really need is a 20' shelter or insulated connex box (Just FYI a 20' insulated connex box weighs roughly 6,000 pounds empty.) There have been a few 20' shelters on GL lately. Most of them were missing doors but a decent fabricator can make new ones.

Just to give some perspective on the (Stock, un-modified) rear overhang issue I have attached 2 M927 pictures that demonstrate this issue very well.

Hope this A) Helps and B) Does not Hijack this cool M146 RV Conversion thread!

Attachments

Last edited:

RAYZER

Got a few things done yesterday! ac mounted and half the front wall made,oddball says the wall looks like motel 6:lol:, but when i put up the crown mold,base and trim around the ac it should tone it down some.
the wall is made from brizilian wallnut engineered hardwood floor glued together,i have a storage unit full of various exzotic flooring and will try to incorperate some of it into the build. Hav'nt fired up the ac yet and still need to build the cover outside.

if anyone knows where i can get a landing gear for this rig, preferably an original without breaking the bank,,i need one bad.

RAYZER

I forgot the pictures in my last post.

On level ground I could do 55mph- But I kept it around 50. And you *can* back one up.
Thats an awsome looking rig ferro! That m146 looks to be in good shape and compleat,mine was missing the spare,ladder,missmacthed landing gear and a couple of blackout pannels.If I ever run across a good deal on another m146 i'll buy it,then i'll have two!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! I wanted to keep it and do what your doing, but I didn't have a tractor, and I was trying to save my land at the time so I sold it. And the M35. M215 has the m146 trailer now, for his GMC tractor. I know he's been working on it. It was complete, had 3 ladders even. Did have some broken back windows and water damage in the roof.

I may buy another one someday.

I like where yours is going! Can't wait to see the finished product.

RAYZER

im wonderin what a dozen of these bad boys will do to the throne????
It looks like im going to have to start charging throne rent!

That gives me an idea:idea: I could take a m146 or better yet a m 129 and convert it to a mobile shower,s---- and shave center with ,say 6 full bathroom setups and pull it to rallys,i know I would pay good money to spend a half hr or so in total luxurious comfort at the end of a long dusty day! It would sure beat having to use the portajohn and not taking a shower for 3 days!

Also oddball007,when I get this mobile sss unit up and runing, ill need a bathroom attendant,you would be perfect for the job since you already have lots of xspierance:grd:!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks