• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$3500 M1008s??

camp9

Not a bad bad looking rig, mine has that same Texas Hood Rust too, strange ain't it? Just surface rust on the horizontal surfaces and otherwise, no rust anywhere else.

Mind if we know--- what did they get ya' for it?
Not at all, more than a lot of you all paid for yours, but it's only 6hours from home so I'll save a bunch on trucking. It cost me $4300. Living is rust heaven I've never had a truck with rust like that. :smile:

Camp

rnd-motorsports

Wow after reading this I guess I got lucky :beer: I normally buy parts trucks just for axles and parts when I needed a wood truck I found and bid on my last truck a M1028. Add stated 15580 miles and parts missing on engine and no tailgate . that didn't bother me final bid and selling fee and Ohio taxes I paid 1680.00 total, me and the wife drove down and trailered it home in a day same as all others I buy. Both alts were gone belts and radiator top plate.Tailgate was in the bed behind cab, Had the parts it needed, one battery along with one in it and it started. somebody had took off pass rear brake shoes and the norm bent rear drive shaft. just replaced glow plugs and now drive it daily. paper work in glove box delivery papers and decommission papers along with maintenance records spent its life in Arizona no rust anywhere underside is spotless wife drives it more then her impala!

chupa

My M1028 was on the high-price side. But i got exactly what I wanted. A freshly restored "blank canvas". Bone stock condition. Now I've been adding back all the military gear and accessories. Since Jan. I've installed new fiberglass troop seats, top bows, decontaminator, receiver hitch, convoy light, red MP light, tank headlights, fake Claymore mine on grill, sliding rear window, military radio speakers, pioneer tools, jerry can, antennas, chocks, first aid kit, dash decals, M1010 style roof spotlight, USAF markings, fake boat propellor on back (painted black of course)etc. Also, its my daily driver.

hmsgoodhope

One (perhaps one of a few besides good wine and great scenery) reason to live in CA - Barstow seems to always have great prices on all sorts of things - we see nothing like that here in VA. Richmond/Norfolk, in MD - Ft. Meade, and PA sites all are usually way over bid for most items - I got my non-running M1008 for $1100 at Meade last year and have had to put over $3000 in it so far before even beginning to address the cosmetics. Wish I had gotten into the hobby when I lived out there :beer:

bigjmcconnell

I stubled upon this thread. Interesting points on value. I'd have to say that most of the east coast CUCV auction trucks are way overpriced. I don't think buyers realize what you need to put them into decent condition. Also, on more than one occasion I have gotten trucks that were more abused than I realized.

Also, I just picked up a 1008 that was listed as a 1028 (had the 1028 door and data plate)... buyer beware!

Darwin T

We've got a dealer up here that has 1008's and 1009's. I stopped by there one day and asked about them, and he said "We're asking between 4 and 6,000 depending on the truck." I turned around shaking my head and left. Then again he also had an 83 GMC truck he wanted 13k for, and sold it to some guy I saw driving it around.:???:
i think you are talking about the place i bought my M1028a2/3 with maintance bed. i flew to O'hare and took a cab north to Motorsource and jeff and i did the paperwork. i got in and drove across to Iowa and then south to Texas. no problem and i am still very happy.

i think there are some people who are trying to cut out the middle man and buy direct. if they are going to pay they think they would save the money the dealers would charge and put it into the truck. however i think some of them don't understand that GL truck don't always run.

Attachments

ProPower

I paid 12,800. for one of my 1008s back in 2001 . Truck was flawless and only had 4,300. miles on it. Its still in perfect shape today with only 12,000 miles on it and I think it was the best money I ever spent . I would sell my 04 2500HD long before I let this one go!

ABN173

The well is starting to run dry on cucv's. Its simple supply and demand, supply is running very low while demand has remained the same or increased. I saw a M1008 with "needs new starter & does not run" go for 4k in Alabama about a month ago. Prices are going up fairly soon I will not be surprised if the only way to obtain these will be private sale.

-Dale

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What transmission do the CUCVs have? TH400? TH350? and what about the ring and pinion gear ratio? Thanks.
They have a TH400 transmission and the the trucks have the a 4.56:1 ratio and the blazers have a 3.08:1 ratio.

---

Oops, didn't see there were two pages here.... Old information now.

Last edited:

GPrez

I think in the long run "Patience" and a little "Luck" is key. I picked up my M1009 at Ft Meade for $1,240 3-years ago when I saw others going for $1,800 and up. That was luck. I was on the lookout since then for a M1008 or variant, but the numbers were going up near or over $4K all the time and some were in rough shape. After 2+ years of looking I finally bid victoriously on a M1028 a few weeks ago at $2,170. It was the first time I bid on something at Meade that actually ended at the given time. Anything else I have ever bid on there always had some yahoo throwing a last second bid on it and extending the time.

What I have learned from my experiences is to look for auctions where there are several trucks bidding at one time. The prices seem to stay lower. I think what helped me on my M1028 was that there were about 8 selling at the same time and there were 8 more auctioning off the following week. If you see 1 truck selling all by it's self you can bet it will fetch a hefty sum.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I probably have the most expensive 1009 ever : I bought an M109 shop van turn-key ready (well, if it had a key ) for $ 9500 + $4500 for the super single A3 wheels & tires, then after working it 2 years traded straight across for the 1009.

cotton

Man I feel much better about my m1009. I paid $250. It had been in a flood, but about $800 and A LOT of labor later I'm driving it all over the place.

I also scored a rebuilt 6.2, trans, and a lot of spare parts for another 1k, so I hope to keep her on the road for a long time.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid $1461 for mine a few months ago, put almost the same in repairs. Tranny pan gasket leak, turned out to be front seal so had both the front and rear replaced, while they had the tranny out had them replace the rear main seal on the engine and new pan gasket as it had an oil leak too. Mechanics sad not to bother rebuilding the tranny as it was in beautiful shape. Priceless when my county road wasn't plowed last storm. I definitely wouldn't have made it home in my mercury mystique.

Last edited:

Varyag

I paid 3k for mine last year. It runs perfect and has only a tiny bit of surface rust. The previous owner bought 2 and fixed them up. He had the paperwork showing him taking a loss on just parts. His wife was making him sell one :D Anyway, I gave him a deposit to hold it for a week for me. He said he got cussed out by 2 prospective buyers that came to get it the next day.

K9Vic

M1009 went for $7500 on GL today, No BS.
$8,151.00 :shock::shock::shock:

Event 10759
Lot 7405
Sparta, WI

Speedo was replaced....:) it has a rust problem.

WHAT???? :shock::shock::shock::shock:

If a ratty looking M1009 went for that much then I really did ask way too little for my 86 M1009 I just sold. I mean really, $8200 for something that you will likely have to spend even more on to fix those little things that add up. Sure it ran and was seen being driven, but I have seen better M1009 on eBay for less.

I lived in Wisconsin from 0-27 and the most common term I always heard on old trucks was "rusty but trusty". I would guess that under that floor mat are large rust spots and probably some holes.

cpf240

$8,151.00 :shock::shock::shock:

Event 10759
Lot 7405
Sparta, WI
Ok, I must be missing something. How come I can't find this Event number at all on GL? I've not been playing around much with their site, but I can't even find this Event number when I'm looking up past auctions.

Is there some wait period from the time the auction closes to when one can look it up under the past auctions search?

Is there some URL-foo that one can construct to pull it up?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks