• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First '52 XM211

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I was contemplating my fender issue, I got side tracked and started the Receiver hitch. I Need to get the gussets in and safety chain loops next. Found a #2 coil spring trap and made a hitch cover. I have the urge to push on the pan so I welded the jaws open! :cool:

The Pintle hole took me about 20 minutes using a hole saw.

Attachments

Stan Leschert

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the advice. I'll try Alpha Haven First. They were at the Iola show last week, and I found a potato farmer with a 211 about 15 miles from them with a winch he may part with.

Gunfreak25

You'll get over it. :lol:

Nothing to be embarrassed about really. Working with bondo is an art that not everybody can learn. It can be a real life saver if you use it properly. The important thing is you use it where needed and not to go overboard with the perfections. I love the stuff, has saved me lots of money before and if done right the repair will not be noticeable and it will last the vehicles lifetime.

Even the Military used a little bondo on fenders. I read stories of guys stripping CARC only to find the stuff.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a friend set the bed on an old wagon frame so I can patch up the hole in the side. Once was a fire truck.

Had to replace the bearings and seals on the wagon, Drilled rears for Ford wheels, will do the front next week and haul to the sandblaster for cleanup of the box.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got out of control with the paint today, Started edging. planned to do steps, edges inside and underside of fenders. Sealed the cowl to cab with $7 body caulk like Gunfreak25 suggested. I just had to paint over it to see how it looks. Very happy, thanks for the suggestion!

Yes, it was a fire truck once.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gene.
I'm going to pull it inside for the night. I will work on the rest of the cab tonight when the paint gets dry. I'd like to get the outside painted in the morning. I'm getting the hardtop back Monday too.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That be New Holland red $34.99 a gallon Farm & Fleet. Best part is it comes in spray bomb too. That way I can get a case of bombs and sit around the camp site and paint stuff while we are talking smart.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got out of control with the paint today, Started edging. planned to do steps, edges inside and underside of fenders. Sealed the cowl to cab with $7 body caulk like Gunfreak25 suggested. I just had to paint over it to see how it looks. Very happy, thanks for the suggestion!

Yes, it was a fire truck once.
Where'd the little Miller come from in picture 3? What happened to the industrial Snap On? Oh, picking up the PTO and linkage this weekend-cheap![thumbzup]

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that is my plasma cutter. I don't use it much. After 20 years of teaching extrication at the F.D. I have become a fan of the sawzall. -smooth edges, no warping, no slag burns in my tennies, no sparks in my chest hairs, and it is less likely to start one of those embarassing fire chief garage fires.

I'd trade the plasma for a M135 any day

I still have the Industrial Snap on welder.

PTO block off plate goes out in the morning [thumbzup]

Hey, this text matches my truck!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painted the cab today. A couple runs was able to smooth with my finger after they became stiff. Second coat covered them well. Looks great from 10' feet! I'm happy with it so far. Rims will be back from sand blaster this week, Then I'll paint them Red too. I hope to have the tires on by Labor Day. I found a GMC grill emblem that may get added to the project.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took the plate off the transfer case Sunday and sent it to my Brother in Wyoming. He found a guy who will sell the pto from his truck for $100. Plate went out priority mail Monday morning. Took the family out in the car for ice cream. Came home and it was starting to rain. Jumped in the truck and drove it a block down the road to the neighbors shed. Looked over my shoulder and it looked like a manure spreader- transfer case oil flying on the street. I was going to make a dummy plate out of light metal for a couple weeks, but forgot.
Oops! :oops:

Thanks JIM for thinking of me! Much appreciated.

Gunfreak25

Aside from some embarrassment the Tcase is probably just fine if there was enough residual oil on the meshing gears to lube them for a quick trip down the road. Make sure you fill up with a yellow metal safe gear oil. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks