• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First '52 XM211

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the wheels back from the sandblaster this week. He put a coat of primer on them for me. I sprayed the first coat of paint on the easy side of the wheels tonight. Let them dry for a day or so and hit the inside next.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice stove and A/C going through the garage door! Is my mounted rainbow Trout in the basement; or is it half red? Just asking.:roll:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I moved it out of the shop today. It is in the neighbor's shed. I need to focus on the red 211 this month or I will never get them done! More on this later in a diffreent thread. Back to the M211 build!

I really did not want to post that project yet, I uploaded the wrong picture.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"The PTO...or the fish gets it!":twisted:
All right, All right-don't paint the fish! I'm going to Casper to pick up the bed for the M59 and the GMC PTO as soon as I can get ahold of the guy. I just also won a M101A1 at McCoy so i'll be there end of SEP or so. (BTW clean that spray gun).

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I clean the spray gun the cup won't seal.

If you want I will pick the trailer up at McCoy and hold it hostage for you?

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
All right, All right-don't paint the fish! I'm going to Casper to pick up the bed for the M59 and the GMC PTO as soon as I can get ahold of the guy. I just also won a M101A1 at McCoy so i'll be there end of SEP or so. (BTW clean that spray gun).

Jim is right that spray gun looks bad. A clean spray gun is the sign of a clean mind (or something like that).I have been using this gun for the last 10 years or so. For the price it works very well. Cuts the paint required for a deuce down by at least a gallon or better. And no over spray. There are better quality guns I am sure but for us low use folks this gun is the best deal I think. I have painted at least 15 trucks with it and it is still going strong. Oh Ya.........with this gun you can paint upside down which makes it a real nice shooter for those things like up under the dash etc.

Professional HVLP Spray Gun Kit

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, I think you are right maccus. I need to wear gloves when I paint. The trigger fingers and knuckles of the ring finger gets painted every time I use the gun from the leaking seals.

I'll buy a new HVLP after this one starts to not work as good.

Sold the M101a1 today $400. Maybe a new paint gun is in my future?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got them mounted tonight. 7 done, 3 more need to get aired up. Spare has a hole in the tube. I'll get it fixed Tuesday.
Purchased a second 50' hose and put my air valve between the hoses and added a clamp on chuck at the end. I was able to air them up from inside the concrete stairwell. The last 3 are stinkers to get to seat. I will re-lube and try again in the morning. I hate to tap on the rings , but may have to.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the weather is going to be clear today. I will put the truck on blocks and paint the frame before I put the tires on. I got a carb rebuild kit from maccus, needs it bad. Have to run the choke 3/4 to keep it going. May as well get that done this weekend too.

Gunfreak25

I am glad to hear somebody else out there is actively restoring a GMC. Gives me hope and strength to continue on. Like you, I pay attention to detail. It's the small stuff that matters to me, and when it's all done it's all the small stuff that really stands out. Decals, white paint on your light switch letters, dash nomenclature, etc.

I don't know if anybody else has thought of it yet, but padding the dash bar on the passenger side and adding seatbelts to these trucks is an important safety feature. The GMC brakes will throw you out 50 feet onto the pavement if you stomp on them in an emergency.
I will be putting some of that foam pipe insulation on my dash handle and making a lace on vinyl cover that matches my upholstery. Keeps from denting the passengers head if they should forget to buckle up.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You obviously don't sleep at night either?

All I know about the brakes is the hand brake is one good one.
I should bleed them before I put the tires back on. I also have one leaking rear wheel seal. Got any idea what size the rear axle nut is?

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Are you going to add a set of turn signals? If you do Dan give me a shout as I have the issue wiring harness needed to do it correctly. You would have to change the connectors from Packard to Douglas or I could do it before I send it to you. Also you have to add a pin to a connector or two........no biggie have done it a few times. I have a lot of Douglas stuff around. I added turn signals to my M211 and M34 and went with a red taillight on the right rear also. Both items were a safety item to me, For safety I make minor mods, however I never make them by cobbling them up. I always make them so one can go back to the issue set up with only disconnecting/reconnecting using the the issue style plugs.

As far as not sleeping at night cause you are thinking about your projects........its an inherited thing.

M211 with two red taillights.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks