• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel no more?

Lax

Hey guys. I just had a guy look at my engine on my M35 I bought from GL in Aug. He told me that the truck is no longer a Multifuel. He told me the Army had changed it to just diesel. He said that is best. I don't think so. I really liked the idea of a multifuel.

What are your thoughts? Is it a big or expensive deal to convert it back to multifuel. The guy looked at (I'm guessing) the fuel pump and told me something was disconnected and now it was only diesel. Thanks for your thoghts.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, technically, it's still a multifuel. The Fuel Density Compensator (FDC) has been bypassed.

Do a search and you'll find a few threads about it.

It was probably bypassed becuase it was leaking (as they seem to tend to do).

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lot of times they are bypassed when they are overhauled. To prevent them from leaking. It's not a big deal to put it back. Just some hose and a couple of fittings. Cranetruck has posted the pick of how it's plumbed. You'll have to reset the fuel rate when done. But that's easy also. Shouldn't take more than a hour to do the job.

Lax

Thanks guys. Is setting the fuel rate tough to do? I do not have any special equipment.

Where does it leak and can I prevent it before it gets started? I really like the multifuel aspect incase I really need to get somewhere or from something. :wink: I guess the guestion is is it worth the trouble? and where do I get the parts? Thanks.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worth it? I think so. I mix used motor oil in mine, it really helps on the fuel costs.
They leak under the base. and the only way to know it's leaking is you'll find diesel in the crankcase. I don't think the leaks are real common. I got mine 9 years ago and it's leak free. None of the ones i've worked on a the fire dept have leaked eather.

Lax

Thanks Ken. Where do I get the parts to turn it back into a multifuel or are they still on there do you think? I would think that if I check the crankcase oil on a regular basis I could detect a leak fairly soon.

Is a leak expensive to repair, etc? Thanks for your help.

Lax

Thanks Eric! I am totaly confused but at least I have a place to start... I think. I know you most likely have no idea but do you think all the parts are still there and it is just a matter of re-connecting everything or do i need to get some parts? I can take pictures if that helps anyone. Thanks.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ken said:
Worth it? I think so. I mix used motor oil in mine, it really helps on the fuel costs.
They leak under the base. and the only way to know it's leaking is you'll find diesel in the crankcase. I don't think the leaks are real common. I got mine 9 years ago and it's leak free. None of the ones i've worked on a the fire dept have leaked eather.
Ken, were the fuel; costs less because of a large volume of used motor oil you were burning, or because the motor oil somehow had more BTU's in it?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should just require re-routing the fuel lines ( no parts needed ).Look at your truck and figure out which picture in the post matches your fuel lines on the IP. If you have two loops (circles) in your fuel lines, you have been converted to diesel only. Figure 1, is what the fuel lines look like if your FDC has been bypassed. Figure 2, shows where the lines were before converting (multi fuel configuration).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks