• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting Straight Vegetable Oil Directing into Tank of M35A2

GammaGoatGuy

I met some people who where putting vegi oil straight into their multi-fuel dueces with no conversions.

Was reading on this site http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html which seems to be have alot of good info on SVO and biodiesel and their recommendation was the professional German single tank conversions and that any other method i.e. putting the vegi-oil straight in the tank or mixing it with diesel would cause damage to the engine and fuel injection system in the long run. They didn't specifically address military multi-fuel engines and I was wondering if the multi-fuel aspect of the engine would compensate for vegi oil and therefore would be able to handle it without damage or having to do a conversion.

Any thoughts on this?

The Professional German Single tank conversions consist of replacing the fuel injectors with ones more able to handle the vegi-oil and turning up the fuel injection pressure, etc. You can check it out, at this site http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html.

Thank You

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Putting Straight Vegetable Oil Directing into Tank of M

Bjorn and I have run it before but mixed. Bjorn feels that anything over say 25% could cause some starting issues. You could probably run a little higher percentage on road trips where you would be running out most of a tank but on the last tank of the day I would drop the percentage. Always filter your WVO.

GammaGoatGuy

What are the actual differences between a diesel and a multi-fuel engine?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have burned nearly 250 gallons of biodiesel and used veggie oil during my cross country trip, sometimes up to 80 % veggie oil. The fuel gets heated up during use (by warm return fuel) and will reach 120 °F without any additional heating. The warm fuel burns very nicely, but with slightly lower EGT and turbo boost compared to straight diesel. Like Kenny says, starting on cold (65 °F or lower temp) fuel will take longer and may cause a build-up of coking on the injectors.

jwaller

I've been running 50% WVO for some time now filtered and poured into the tank. starts and runs awesome. much better than #2 ever could. wont be going back until I run out of WVO. that stuff is getting hard to find.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
7Freedom7:
The problem is that SVO has a higher cloud point than petro diesel. After only one night at 0ºC you could have all filters and fuel lines clogged. That's the reason for either burning a (cold) mixture (up to 50/50 is OK) or having a heated double tank system to start with diesel and switch over to 100% SVO (or well filtered WVO) once it reaches 40-50ºC.
A good starting multifuel will have some trouble coming to life with pure cold sunflower oil at 20ºC ambient temp. but it will start. Even so I don't recommend it because of the so much higher viscosity. Think about the extra strain on IP and primary pump. Also a cold combustion chamber produces coking of the injectors! This refers to all diesels, including our multifuels.

Gerhard

houdel

7Freedom7:
There are three major differences between a straight diesel and a multifuel diesel. All direct injection diesels have a flat cylinder head, the combustion chamber is built into the top of the piston. In a straight diesel, the combustion chamber is a simple cup shaped depression in the top of the piston and the injector sprays directly into the cup. In a multifuel, the combustion chamber is a hemispherical chamber in the piston, and the injector sprays at an angle into the chamber. This produces a swirling action to the fuel which improves combustion of whatever fuel is being used. Also, the multifuel has a fuel density compensator which adjusts the fuel delivery rate for lower density/lower BTU fuel to maintain constant power (i.e., lower density fuels are delivered at a higher rate to maintain rated power). Finally, the compression ratio of the multifuel is 22.5:1 vs around 18:1 for a straight DI diesel.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being said, all the "multifuel" label and combustion chamber does is give you the ability to run on straight gasoline without knocking itself to pieces. They also have hardened plungers in both the IP and injectors so as not to gall on gas or fuels designed for arctic use. Most folks don't know the history, but it was a MAN (German) design first licensed by Hercules as the Hypercycle in the US.

I regularly run all my Diesels (Mack, Detroit 2-stroke, Mercedes, Isuzu, and multifuel) on either mixtures of or straight pump Diesel, kerosene, or JP-8. All my used crankcase oil goes in, so does any ATF I can get my hands on. It alll burns just fine.

Burp!

dg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WVO is waste vegtable oil, SVO is straight vegtable oil and ATF is automatic transmission fluid.

jasonjc

WVO =waste veggi oil (used fry oil from restaurant)
SVO= I'm not shure but maybe new veggi oil???
ATF=automaic transmission fluid

SuperJoe

Even so I don't recommend it because of the so much higher viscosity. Think about the extra strain on IP and primary pump. Also a cold combustion chamber produces coking of the injectors! This refers to all diesels, including our multifuels.

Gerhard
i have a few questions here. first i know nothing about deisels. what is the IP? this comes up alot. also what is coking of the injectors. can this be fixed or cleaned or something or do they have to be replaced?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SuperJoe said:
i have a few questions here. first i know nothing about deisels. what is the IP? this comes up alot. also what is coking of the injectors. can this be fixed or cleaned or something or do they have to be replaced?
IP=Injection Pump

Coking=residue from incomplete combustion. Cold veggie oil will eventually coke the injectors, therefore, heat the fuel or use in smaller proportion, say less than 20% with the regular diesel or kerosene.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks