• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting Straight Vegetable Oil Directing into Tank of M35A2

Macanie

I am wondering if any of you guys that are out on the road with your trucks have ever been checked to see if you are burning the low sulfer diesel fuel. I would love to burn our used motor oil, but our trucks are used for municipal use; I can't take a chance on ending up on the front page of the newspaper as some kind of illegal polluter.

El_Guapo

Veggie oil is very low in sulfur. I can see headlines about airborne transfats though. . . :roll: Seriously, some of the motor oil on the cylinder walls is generally burned in the combustion process so it shouldn't be that bad. IIRC a bit of oil is supposed to be added to the fuel tank for lubrication purposes anyway.

jwaller

kipman said:
Any body run hydralic oil mixed with diesel and can anything be hurt if the FDC is bypassed?
yup. I put my old dextron in my tank. but you need to be very picky when using it. it can have some very bad stuff in it for sure and some of it wont filter out. old clutch material can ear out an IP very quickly.

jag7720

sermis said:
ATF ??? Can it be used stright or does it need to be mixed with diesel?

I don't know that I would use ATF in any great volume. ATF has a lot of detergents in it and they can tend to clog and coat things when it is burned.

I did a lot of research on the different oils that could be burned when I converted my 85 Mercedes diesel to burn WVO. It was the opinion of a lot of people that ATF should be avoided.

Jason

forbey

On warm days you should be able to run on straight SVO. During cooler days add Kerosene, increase the K to SVO based on temperature.

Installing a loop from the coolant exiting the engine to a coil in the tank and back to the bottom of the radiator will help keep the SVO hot enough to run.

One trick would be to add a 5 or 10 gallon diesel tank to the mix and the ability to start on diesel and then switch to SVO (with the ability to switch back to diesel befor stopping) will make things much easier and cheaper.

I have 80G miles on SVO in a GMC Suburban.

forbey

Beyond Biodiesel

I don't know that I would use ATF in any great volume. ATF has a lot of detergents in it and they can tend to clog and coat things when it is burned.

I did a lot of research on the different oils that could be burned when I converted my 85 Mercedes diesel to burn WVO. It was the opinion of a lot of people that ATF should be avoided.

Jason
Since 2008 there has been a great deal more exploration of burning waste oils in diesel engines. It turns out that WATF is the good stuff that many want to burn, because it will burn in most diesel engines without thinning or heating or modification.

WVO, on the other hand, can be burned two-tank as described above, or it can be thinned with gasoline at 20% and that blend can run on most diesel engines year round down to about 0F (-18c), as long as the WVO is canola oil, and the blend is made properly.

iatractor

During the summer, I will run super heavy on wvo or wmo, or combo blend. By this time of the year, I try to get as low as possible on the tank and flush with straight winterized blended fuel. Not that I drive my truck much in the winter, but in case I do need to fire up and run, I have a fuel to get started and run on.

Beyond Biodiesel

During the summer, I will run super heavy on wvo or wmo, or combo blend...
I am surprised that your combo blend has not lead to gooping up your entire fuel system, IP and injectors, because blending WMO with WVO will typically result in producing a very sticky tar-like substance. So, after doing so to my diesel vehicle several times before I realized what was going on, I now do not blend the two together.

iatractor

I have one guy who supplies me with wmo that looks almost like brand new. All highway miles and is religious about the 3000 mile mark. It's still a golden color when it arrives here. I'll take it and blend it with diesel, to thin it down, then I take the wvo, blend it with gasoline, then blend the two together. Outside of that I have been migrating away from the wmo since my supply of wvo is more consistent and in enough quantity to meet my needs now. One guy gets the wvo for his shop furnace but can't burn it, so him and I trade oils a couple times a year. Checked my tank, and so far the crud and turds haven't happened. Now that my wvo is plenty, I'll be on a diesel/wvo blend now.

Beyond Biodiesel

I have one guy who supplies me with wmo that looks almost like brand new. All highway miles and is religious about the 3000 mile mark. It's still a golden color when it arrives here...
That explains why your WMO does not leave behind sludge when blended with WVO. Black over burned WMO, which is of the WMO I see will lay down a 2" thick rubber-like mat of sludge at the bottom of my settling buckets after being blended with WVO.

Matlis

I have abused my multi-fuel priveleges. I use anything that resembles an oil. WMO, ATF, Hydraulic, WVO, stale nasty gas, used gear oil... Never a problem as long as I followed the TM that shows what ratios to use max. I have ran 600+ gallons of WVO straight without preheating one summer in Michigan without a lick of problems, but I make darn sure to use it hard to help burn out any gew. :D

Beyond Biodiesel

I have abused my multi-fuel priveleges. I use anything that resembles an oil. WMO, ATF, Hydraulic, WVO, stale nasty gas, used gear oil... Never a problem as long as I followed the TM that shows what ratios to use max. I have ran 600+ gallons of WVO straight without preheating one summer in Michigan without a lick of problems, but I make darn sure to use it hard to help burn out any gew. :D
TM on ratios to use in a fuel max? I would like to see that if you can recall the number or a link.

Beyond Biodiesel

I just got offered a bunch of new cooking oil. Would it require special seals in the fuel system/IP?
It depends upon how you run it. Presumably you are going to blend it with a petroleum distillate. If you are blending with ULSD diesel fuel, and running it on a vintage diesel engine, then I would not run any greater that 50% ULSD diesel fuel, because I have found that ULSD diesel fuel over 50% causes seal failures in seals that were common prior to 2006. If you are blending WVO with gasoline, then I would keep the gasoline content down to or below 30%. Then you would not need to replace any seals in your fuel system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks