• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IHC M-1-4 4x4 Boyertown Ambulance

Cottonbaler

I purchased an IHC Ambulance in need of a rebuild, I would appreciate any help as to locating the neccesary manuals so that I can do the majority of the work myself, there were less than 1000 of these made and info is getting hard to come by. I've found some great pictures, but need specific info so I can craft what I need.

George

Knucklehead

Check with Boyertownmuseum.org They are located in Boyertown, PA and have a very exstensive library of the vehicle bodies they have manufactured.

Cottonbaler

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I can do most of the work myself, just helps if I have plans to follow instead of just pictures.

George

Boyertown Museum

I did some quick checking after Lane (citizensoldier) and I checked out the truck a couple weeks ago. There is one MVPA member listed with the IH ambulance. I e-mailed him, no response yet.

I couldn't find any military ambulance references on the Boyertown Museum website. You might have to write them directly.

BTW, George, welcome. You picked an interesting vehicle to start with. Did you pick it up yet?

FrankUSMC

Are you sure it is a M1-4? Looking at the wheels it looks to be a M2-4 (1 ton). I have 3 WWII Internationals, cool looking trucks, but parts can be hard to find. Good luck on her, the ambulance is a very rare bird.
One of the few. Frank

FrankUSMC

Cottonbaler
Go to the forums page, and look under CCKW. I wrote a couple of posts to Citizensoldier on this truck and Internationals.
Thanks for saving our history.
One of the few, Frank

Cottonbaler

To FrankUSMC & BigBee, thanks for the help & interest. I purchased an Army Maintenance tent to work on it in and have found some preliminary info on the Boyertown Amb body from a fellow in Russia, apparently they had some lend-lease and I'm able to get some. I know I have to drop and boil out the Gas tank & radiator. I also plan to drop the oil pan and check for sludge and/or metal traces. I used to (with cars from the 50's & 60's) be able to take engines apart & rebuild them. It's nice to be working on a vehicle without all the extra b******t on it. I chose this vehicle for two basic reasons, it was close by and it looks like a real challenge. I'll be taking pictures in series as I work on it and putting a scrapbook together. BTW, the Boyertown Museum has so far been unresponsive to email, I'll give them a little more time to answer my snail mail.

Thanks again,

George

Knucklehead

I should have told you in my first post, most of the folks at the Boyertown Museum are volunteer, and do not work full time. They have been friendly and helpful to me but are not speed demonds.

serf2

I live in Boyertown and if you are still interested I can stop in and get some pictures. I do know that all the ambulances bodies were built here in Boyertown by the Boyertown body Works. I believe this is maybe the only one that has been restored.

chesnimnus

Boyertown contact

I live in Boyertown and if you are still interested I can stop in and get some pictures. I do know that all the ambulances bodies were built here in Boyertown by the Boyertown body Works. I believe this is maybe the only one that has been restored.
Since I posted that, I have a friend that finished his M-1-4 ambulance restoration. He showed it at the Portland Expo when the National MVPA show was here in 2013.

To be honest, I forget why I was asking. Maybe it was to see if they would be willing to make a copy of their schematics?

I would be interested in knowing if Cottonbaler ever did anything with his. Most folks that start one of the old IH trucks get frustrated and pass it on to someone else in favor of something slightly less challenging.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks