• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my power steering donor!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found a '76 Ramcharger for slghtly less than scrap value!

My M884 serves as my plow truck / work truck.
It ain't easy backing an 18 ft car hauler without power steering either.
Got the power steering off it already and now we are Processing this ramcharger prior to the scrap yard monday,
pulling off what I know is good for the M880.

Anyone want anything in particular?
I can pull it off before it goes.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would the power steering parts from a 1992 W250 work on an M880? I may have one soon, for parts.

N1265

I thought about getting a radio and insturment cluster bezel for mine, ( if it has one ) I could also use a rear vue mirror that has the flip up lever on it .

AZDeuce

I need a good left door inner panel, w/window winder, & armrest (if they have one), also need a good glove box door, mine is all cracked let me know plus prices, either in this thread or PM me

Thanks

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH,
as these were the same basic design from 72 to 93. I think the whole 92 steering setup could be transferred to an M880.
75-77 parts could be interchanged, other years require more donor parts.

I can help with some of those parts needs.
Will send PM

The mission is to have it out of here in the morning, but the urge to keep it here is strong, parts that I may never need or ever be able to sell are calling to me, "Save Me"

Last edited:

m880 unimog

ha ha -this how it all starts!!

i like to have a few spares lying around,you never know what you might need-

and then i wonder how on earth i ended up with 42 tonnes of green cr*p-

but,hey,without us where would all these great vehicles be ?

the world would be full of computer designed,moulded plastic ,eco friendly , gutless vehicles.

chriskonen

Rats, someone beat me to it, but I could use a set (or at least a driver's side) arm rest pad(s) also :-(. Too bad we're so far apart, I'm desperate for a tailgate, but can't find one any where around here local and freight charges are murder for stuff like that. ( I would know, I work in trucking). I'm kinda looking for a hood release assembly (handle, mount and cable) , need a dome light assembly too if that happens to fit a '77 M880, but that's the only small things I can think of if the Ramcharger has them to spare ?? Chris

Elwenil

If you are still stripping this, you may want to post up over at RamchargerCentral if you haven't already.

As for the steering boxes themselves, all years from '72-'93 will swap but the design changed in '77 or so. '72-'77 used an old swing arm style steering setup like a semi that is commonly referred to in Dodge circles as the reverse rotation box. To use the later style steering you have to use the drag link from the donor and I was always of the mind that you had to swap the steering arm on the axle as well but lately I've had conflicting info on that from different people. Some say the '72-'77 arm works fine with the later box and drag link, others say they have trouble getting a full turn to one side so take it with a grain of salt. But yeah, swapping power steering onto an M880 is pretty straight forward and a bolt in swap, regardless of what donor you use though the parts will vary a little. Another point to consider is the '92 318 and '93 318 and 360 are Magnum engines with serpentine belts so the power steering pump from them would be different as well as the ones from the various Cummins powered trucks.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She went to the scrap yard on Monday morning, never left the trailer.
Covered the purchase price and gas for the M884, so for a couple days labor I have my power steering & a few spare parts.
All body panels had rust through.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After owning an M887 twice, I can attest to the need of PS. My Dodge was harder to steer than a deuce! Looks good Bob, I love it when a plan comes together.

MatthewH

Would the power steering parts from a 1992 W250 work on an M880? I may have one soon, for parts.

Yes they bolt right in place of the old box, like Bob and Elwenil have mentioned. The only problem you will have is the shaft between the column and the box. On the 880, the rag joint is down by the box, while the '92 has the rag joint up by the steering column. You will have to buy an aftermarket shaft, or make one yourself. I have pics of the one i made if your interested.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I dont have an m880, yet! But I will keep the extra parts off the parts truck, just in case I do get one someday. Power steering would be real nice.

I have the 1990 tug and I'm considering putting that engine in an M880, or an M1008. Too many ideas...

citizensoldier

She went to the scrap yard on Monday morning, never left the trailer.
Covered the purchase price and gas for the M884, so for a couple days labor I have my power steering & a few spare parts.
All body panels had rust through.
Just harrasing you Bob but this is a typical picture of a Dodge! :cool: They win the hood up award at every event..

jamieboy

Hey Bob, while on the subject of power steering, I have a 77 d-100 parts truck with all the power steering set up. Will this fit my m-893 ambulance?? Same year just a d-200 instead of d-100. Thanks.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Bob, while on the subject of power steering, I have a 77 d-100 parts truck with all the power steering set up. Will this fit my m-893 ambulance?? Same year just a d-200 instead of d-100. Thanks.
Should be a direct swap of the steering box (leave the pitman arm on the steering box), and bolt on of pump. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

knipex

You can buy a new power steering gear for 77 w200 reasonably. Power steering pump and brackets from junk yard, new power steering hoses and in 2 or 3 hours have 1 finger steering. Easy project. Hardest part was getting Pitman arm off manual steering gear. 77 power steering gear is definitely different from newer ones and will eliminate a lot of work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks