• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to Use/beat use the search function

whyme

How to Use/best use the search function

After reading all the issues relating to the use, misuse, and lack of use as well as my personal experiences with the "search" I thought I'd start a thread to offer tips and advice to users, new and old alike.

I like many have been frustrated with the results I've gotten while using search to find simple problems. The issues usually are either an excessive return of semi relevant results requiring hours to find exactly what I want or a return of totally unrelated results altogether. But recently I spent some time trying to learn the quirks of our search.

First and simply putting the word "and" between each word your searching for is a huge help. I for one have become complacent with using google but frankly the forum search algorithm doesn't seem to be quite as advanced in terms of ranking relevance so go a tad "old school" while searching.

Next, if you don't come up with anything at all try using fewer words and eliminate irrelevant words like to, the, ect... Instead use just a few key words rather than phrases.

If your getting alot of results and your only interested in those relating to a cucv then use the "advanced search" and you can select which of the sub forums your searching, in this case you'd select and highlight the cucv area. I believe you can select multiple by holding the ctl key while clicking.

Dont give up after one search, try changing up the words your using; replacing "wheel" with "rim" for instance might change the outcome drastically.

And finally, don't concentrate on just the titles of the threads, we often use wacky or irrelevant words and phrases for threads that otherwise contain very useful information. Don't be afraid to poke around a bit.

If anyone else has suggestions post them up, I'm certainly not perfect at this and I know some of use have better methods than others.

Last edited:

whyme

Probably would have helped if I would have checked my tittle before publishing this, darn iPhone keyboard and auto correct...

Hope for the sake of my ego a mod can correct that, tap talk sure doesn't have an option.

FYI: best not beat

Last edited:

cornrichard

If I have bad luck with the search here I often try the same search in google. The results usually sends you right back to steel soldiers. This has worked well for me several times.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I have bad luck with the search here I often try the same search in google. The results usually sends you right back to steel soldiers. This has worked well for me several times.
When using google add this to your search: site:steelsoldiers.com

This works for any website. Google spend BIG $$$$ to make their search work very well. Unlike the vB search feature

RealCavDog

Thanks for some great ideas ! But we all know you have to try it first for it to work at all !

Seems a lot of folks find it easier to start a new thread and have the information come to them !

I would be in the hundreds by now already, but I find the searching fun because I read and learn even more than I was originally looking for !

KsM715

I would be in the hundreds by now already, but I find the searching fun because I read and learn even more than I was originally looking for !

That is exactly what the site "elders" have been trying to teach new/newer members. Searching this site can be just as fun as a day walking thru an unknown salvage yard.

Tlauden

Thanks for some great ideas ! But we all know you have to try it first for it to work at all !

:ditto:

I've learn lots and seen some nifty stuff just poking around threads from months and years ago!!

jasonjc

Probably would have helped if I would have checked my tittle before publishing this, darn iPhone keyboard and auto correct...

Hope for the sake of my ego a mod can correct that, tap talk sure doesn't have an option.

FYI: best not beat
I think that you can go back and edit your title your self, I think.

whyme

I think that you can go back and edit your title your self, I think.
yeah found it under "go advanced" after clicking the "edit" button. last night i was using tap talk and there is no option (that i could find anyway) to change it from there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks