Page 1 of 202 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Issues with SF-97

Thanks

Default Issues with SF-97

I bought this M880 utility truck from the Oklahoma Forestry Commission just south of OKC back at the end of February.

The GSA auction site said Salvage/parts use, and having attended many auctions through the years, I figured this is a sort of disclaimer to the buyer, so buyers wouldn't assume the vehicle(s) are functional, and they should be aware the vehicle may be only good for just that, -parts.

The item description said nothing about a salvage, non-road use title, it merely said an SF-97 form would be issued at my request to obtain a title.

The for came from Houston, TX within only 2 days, and I didn't even have to request it. Problem is, it came with a big, ugly "NOT TO BE TITLED FOR HIGHWAY USE" emblazoned across the top of it.

Being that the paperwork comes from Texas, this doesn't surprise me- as they would issue a dismantle only order on Grandma's car for having a bad wiper blade in that state.

I took the form to the DMV here in Arkansas with the hopes that it wouldn't be noticed, and that they would register it for me, and it almost worked- but she noticed at the last second.

There is literally nothing wrong with this truck at all- there is not a scratch on it, it has never been wrecked, and it runs like a new truck (in all definition, it IS still a new truck, mileage is only 35K) so it boggles my mind as to why they would declare it a "salvage" truck.

What does any of you guys think I should do with this situation? Surely many of you have been exactly in my shoes before- should I get ahold of the lady that issued the SF-97 form? (her name is Donna Rice if anyone has dealt with her before)

Should I just take it back to the DMV and see if a different clerk will push it through?

I am at a loss, any advice you guys have is greatly appreciated- I bought this truck for work, not as a yard ornament.

Thanks in advance, -Josh
    Last edited by road_toad666; 05-01-2011 at 23:55.
    1989 M880 Utility truck

Thanks
    Thanked 4,786 Times in 2,744 Posts

Does your state do rebuilt or salvage titles ?

Thanks

I am pretty sure they do, and I don't even care if they do issue me a salvage title, really- as this truck isn't going anywhere til I die or it dies- but it does no good to me if they won't let me plate it. It is just nonsense that any such thing was ever put on the paperwork to begin with- this truck is still new in a mechanical sense.

How funny you are in Saginaw- I used to have a bunch of friends I partied with there years ago- I grew up in Flint.
    1989 M880 Utility truck

Possum Connoisseur wreckerman893's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,015 Times in 4,715 Posts

What year is it?

In Alabama you can get a vehicle manufacturd before 1976 registered with a Bill of Sale only.
    And the Dark Man said to him, "I will set you high in my artillery. You are the man I want." Then he saw an army of ten thousand driving across the desert and into the mountains, a rough beast of an army whose time had come at last. And riding in a giant tanker, he saw himself, and knew that the truck was filled with Napalm. Behind him, in a long column, were trucks loaded with bombs, mines, plastic explosive, flame throwers, flares, heat seeking missiles, grenades, machine guns and rocket launchers. The dance of death was about to begin, and already the strings of the fiddles and guitars were smoking and the stench of brimstone and cordite filled the air.

Exclusive Media Agent for the prestigious firm of Smingleberry, Smingleberry and Smingleberry.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,786 Times in 2,744 Posts

Youcould call Dan at detroit vintage cycle 586-777-6992 people have had good lubk with him creating clean micigan titles from the bill of sale . It will probley cost a couple hundred bucks . There website is ; WWW.DETVINCYC.TK

Thanks

me personally i would bring whatever papaerwork you had from the government sans the sf-97 and take it to the clerks office and register it normally from the government invoice as the bill of sale. I have never used a sf-97 to register anything in tennessee i always just use my invoice. It usually has a sale price, address of buyer and seller, ect..
    Dave in Tenn

19?? M818 tractor
    1985 Bombardier Iltis
    196? M35A2w/hardtop
    196? M35A2 W/softop
    1985 M1009 Blazer (2)
    1968 Kaiser Jeep M715
    1961 Mercedes Unimog 404
    19?? MEP-002A 5KW Generator (sold)
    1970 Gama Goat (sold)
    19?? MEP-003A 10KW Generator (2)
    1966 M101 3/4 ton trailer

Thanks

If it was not disclosed in the GL ad that the sale would be "not for highway use" I'd be back in GL's face with it. Just know that the end result of that might be you'd have no truck, but might get your money back. Otherwise, one of the previous suggestions should suffice.
    1953 M37
    All kinds of photos at: www.pbase.com/baywing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 819 Posts

Its was a GSA sale and it was disclosed as a scrap only sale.
    Jeff

Sent from my two cans and a string.

'71 M818 (now a w/w w/o PTO) ---- SOLD

M101A2

Thanks

The terms were misleading, as on the website is says "INTENDED for scrap or salvage purposes" instead of "for scrap or salvage ONLY."

The description said the SF-97 would be issued on request for getting the vehicle titled, it said nothing about the vehicle having a non-highway use destruction order on it.

The words used were intentionally misleading to drive up prices at sale is my point.

I finally got this resolved. After countless emails and phone calls that went unreturned to the office in Texas, I found a way around my problem.

I filed for abandoned vehicle through a bonded title agent. She ran an ad in the paper listing it as abandoned, and after 45 days with no reply, she filed for title and got me a clean one. It took 60 days and $140 to fix, but having paid $611 for the truck, I am not complaining.
    1989 M880 Utility truck

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to road_toad666 For This Useful Post:

98G (02-06-2017), msgjd (11-04-2019)

4 Star General /Moderator doghead's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,863 Times in 5,998 Posts

Is there any penalty for intentional misrepresentation of information(providing false information), when claiming an abandoned vehicle?
    M817, M818, M819, M35A2 w/w, M35A2, M109, M105, M116A2, M101A2, Pioneer tool trailer, MEP-002, MEP-017A, 5ton winch shear pins, Oral-B toothbrush

Ah Beefco Industries Northeast marketing associate

Don't judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=T6BTcEwtmZo

Page 1 of 202 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast