• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing, rebuilding, reinstalling Hydraulic Head

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As with anything, once you take it apart, the fear starts to leave and you begin to understand how it works. Now alll I need are the little clips and figure out how to compress the spring enough to install the clips. The book says to use a press, I always wanted a good press :p

Thanks guys!

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, that's how I lost one taking them off. I'm going to try a more controllable method. Book says to use a press. I would like to have both hands free to fudge with clips.

Thanks

peashooter

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I used it as directions on how to remove the HH so I could replace the o-rings and fix the leak I had in that area...... unfortunately I learned afterwords that the orings werent where it was leaking afterall. I found the leak was that 16 point screw thing on the side of the HH and after removing it, cleaning, and reinstalling it leaks worse than ever. Now I need to find where to get a new one of those:(

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Peashooter, those are known to crack and leak. Might want to see if AMBAC sells them. It took me 4 different IPs to find one that would work with my truck when mine cracked.

Kenny, I just took apart an IP and the head had the bottom parts fall off. Any way you could walk me through putting it back together? My biggest concern is, is the plunger oriented to anything in the HH? The plunger has a square section near the bottom, does anything need to line up with the "bow tie" thing you cracked?

kennys@wi.rr.com

The plunger should have machined portion on the bottom that looks like a loaf of bread. That lines up in the butterfly washer where it looks like the loaf of bread. If you need anything more just give me a call in the morning. I would say now but I need to get some sleep, just took a day trip to KY and back.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just got it apart today, won't look at it till tomorrow anyway. I think you answered what I needed. Thanx

peashooter

Peashooter, those are known to crack and leak. Might want to see if AMBAC sells them. It took me 4 different IPs to find one that would work with my truck when mine cracked.

Kenny, I just took apart an IP and the head had the bottom parts fall off. Any way you could walk me through putting it back together? My biggest concern is, is the plunger oriented to anything in the HH? The plunger has a square section near the bottom, does anything need to line up with the "bow tie" thing you cracked?

I'm all good now, Scott (tie6044) got me one of those funkly little HH screws and it finally fixed my leak.... no more spotted driveway or stinkly cab when driving anymore. Thanks again for the great write ups on IP/HH repair.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy....hope you can help me out. I have another thread about my motor quitting on me, but in researching this and other threads, I have been troubleshooting the engine. Using the info here, I removed the hyd. head today. I found the keeper and button from the bottom of the plunger to be off the plunger and laying in the lower casing. It appears from the thread that you are the man on these things. Do you have new or overhauled HH's? Do you have links to anyone who does? What is the chance that the barrel/plunger may be OK and that I can just reattach the button and keeper? How would you go with this? Thanks

kennys@wi.rr.com

Try to move the plunger by hand up and down and rotating it. If it moves smooth, not easy, it's fine. Many times the button just falls off and needs to be put back on. Inspect the keeper spring to make sure there are no cracks or breaks. I that needs to be replaced I couldn't tell you where to get one. Maybe try an injection shop. Considering when I looked up the part number I found it to be the same or similar to that used on a Case tractor I would start with a farm dealer.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Kenny. I will have to try to find a shop in town with a press so I can take the spring and keepers off the plunger shaft. It seems the plunger is stuck in the barrel, but hard to tell with the spring pressure. We don't have any injector shops in Juneau, so I will have to send it to Seattle or Anchorage if the plunger is seized. I would love to know of a shop that has an overhauled HH in stock. I would get that coming in the AM and then send mine in for a core or to be overhauled and sent back to me. Let me know if you have any good sources. Regards

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks folks. Looking at this unit, it is clear that the plunger is stuck in the "up" position in the barrel. The spring is fully compressed. This unit will need a new barrel and plunger. I am going to be driving this rig on the ALCAN convoy in Aug. and don't want to experiment with polishing out the barrel/plunger unit. I may do that later with this bad unit, to keep as a UBG spare? I have PM'd Floridianson, thank you for the heads-up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks