• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 vs M813???

andytk5

New to the MV world and I have a question about the pros/cons of getting one vs the other. Seems most 813s are non-turbo vs most M35s being turboed. Is it harder/more expensive to maintain the 813, how are parts availability of each. From the GL auctions I have seen the 813s don't seem to be that much more, I may be wrong.

Also would a GL surplus Cummins NTC-400 fit into either truck? Do the trannys match up? Engine mounts, could weld new ones? Either one better off road, on road?

Just looking for friendly advice, if this is a beat issue I am sorry, I just didn't find this topic in my searches.

Thanks guys!

armytruck63

1. True, almost no M813's are turboed, unless done by a civilian owner.
2. Non-turbo (and gasser) M35's exist, but they are outnumbered by the turbo trucks.
3. It IS harder and more expensive to own an M813 because they use more fuel and the tools required to work on them tend to be larger etc. etc.
4. Not sure about the NTC-400 answer...
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being even more basic,
The 813 is a 5-ton and the M-35 is a 2-1/2 ton. The 5-tons are 50% more weight, with twice the load capacity, and handle crudely as compared with the 2-1/2. The 2-1/2 ton is a sports car and the 5-ton is clumsy big oaf. (And yes I can say this......)
Roughly twice the fuel required and a CDL for the 5-ton. (This is NOT a CDL discussion.)

Older 5-tons are also available in gas models.

Hope this helps.

andytk5

Great points guys! Thank you.

The tool situation is one I never even considered, my garage is setup for boats and reg trucks, largest stuff I have is 1/2" drive for frame/suspension/drivetrain/trailer stuff.. I have engine stands, and hoists but I doubt they would even lift the engines in these trucks.

Sounds like the 2.5 tons are more my speed.. for now.

Just off hand what size tools are used on the 5-tons 3/4 or 1" drive stuff? And a 6' pipe? lol

Thanks for all the help fellas

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One thing not mentioned is that just about everything on the 5 ton is heavier.....I have had a 5 ton multi-fuel tractor and a M816 wrecker.

Wrestling 5 ton tires and rims is a beotch.

Anytime I get the urge to get another 5 ton I go out in the back yard and move that 5 ton brake drum from one side of the yard to the other......that usually stifles the feeling for a month or so.rofl

They are also louder and slower than the deuces.

Hearing protection and patience is mandatory when driving a 5 ton.

Fuel milage on a 5 ton is asbysmal and there is nothing you can do about it......and you can run a little UMO or automatic transmission fluid in it but you will be buying a lot of diesel if you drive it much. You are driving a low geared truck with the aerodynamics of concrete block.

LanceRobson

Hello Andy

All the M809 series trucks were normally aspirated. The NTC 400 will fit but you'll have quite the project on your hands to do it. The bell housing is different, you'll have to fabricate mounts, an oil pan, air intake stuff etc and change the oil pump pickup location. The NTC 400 will likely shorten the life of all the other driveline parts, too. The truck would still have the same top speed but you won't be doing as much downshifting on hills.

The M35A2 maneuvers off road and in close traffic a lot easier than the M813. Visibility in either is marginal. The M813 has much stiffer springs and even with it's longer wheelbase it can be a real bruiser on rough roads.

As far as driving them I don't worry about the speed. I figure I'm driving a 35-45 year tactical vehicle that was never intended to drive much over 45 MPH.

I strongly disagree with the statement that the M813 is a crude handling or clumsy truck. It is just plain bigger and has a bigger turning radius, wants to be on more solid ground due to the greater weight, etc. This is a function of it's size, not any defect. I like driving my M813A1 more than my deuces. It feels more like a truck. The deuce feels more like an over sized pickup truck by comparison.

The M813A1 has a much longer nose and the front bumper and winch seem a long way away. By comparison the deuce seems to be like driving a far smaller truck although the total length difference is likely less than 5 feet.

The M813, especially when loaded, can be painfully slow in hilly terrain.

Tools for am M813 really aren't much bigger. You may want a 3/4 ratchet wrench set, though.

As said, parts for an M809 series truck are bigger, cost more and cost more to ship. They both seem to need about the same level of preventive maintenance but the M813 will use a LOT more fluids. M813 air and fuel filters are a lot more expensive.

If you are new to MVs, I'd advise using a deuce as your training wheels. The learning curve will be steep enough without the CDL, weight, fuel consumption and other issues a 5 ton or bigger truck brings to the party.

Lance

shootiniron

I've also got one of each and I have to say that I too enjoy driving the 813A1 a bit more than the deuce.The power steering is great,one handed and an elbow resting on the door just like a pickup and my deuce has the air assist.Getting around in traffic with the 5 ton is'nt really a problem for me,seems like the traveling public gives the big truck a wide berth.As far as maintinance goes for both the deuce and 5 ton,the parts are all heavy,so just prepare yourself for it.When I bought the 5 ton I already had the deuce so the plan was to eventually sell it,but after fixing it up and driving it I cant seem to part with it.You gotta have both in my book. [thumbzup]

armadillofz1

my 818 feels like a sportscar compared to my m35. The power steering alone is worth it. that said if i ever have to part with one i'd keep the m35 and put power steering on it.

andytk5

Wow, thanks for the great new responses, as obsessive as this may sound my plan is to have a 1009, 1008, m35, and 809 series (thanks for the terms education).. Of course like was said start slow, going for the Cucv first but there are some private guys selling some of the big boys very close to me so my first MV could either of the bottom 3, like was said CDL puts the 809 option into the future a tad, but still love it!

Definitely like the single wheels on these guys, also to those running these trucks alot are these MV's easily acceptable to running homebrew bio, specifically the duece and 809? I know there are fuel line swaps, and the filters from the solvent quality of bio..

Basically if someone pandering to be more self sufficient are the range of MV's I listed a good group to donthis with? I know newer diesels don't like it with all there bs slapped on them..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce will run on most anything. I cant begin to guess how many hundreds upon hundreds of gallons of used motor oil I've recycled (burned)

03silverado

I personally preffer the 5 ton i enjoy my M813A1 W/W yes they are bigger ride rougher cost more to purchase and fuel the parts are a little harder to get only because they weren't as highly produced like the deuce. But it sits higher looks cooler personally. has HYDRUALIC POWER STEERING from the factory were as deuces have an aftermarket kit that can run you another grand or so for air assist power steering which have a tendancy to wander going down the highway. Now I am also bias towards the five tons because I do not really care for the deuces where as they deserve alot of credit for all they have done the 5 tons can do more with less.
:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks