• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Fiberglass Hoods

Docuscg

They look Okay, I have never seen a picture of the back side of the hood, or the rear of the hardtop. Because my hardtop has the slide window, I wonder if it has the window or just the hole? Or no hole.

Last edited:

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They look Okay, I have never seen a picture of the back side of the hood, or the rear of the hardtop. Because my hardtop has the slide window, I wonder if it has the window or just the hole? Or no hole.
He said the top has no hole for the window, but can be cut out for one. I have two pic's i found but do not know who made this hood.

Attachments

wsucougarx

In have a nos a3 fiberglass hood complete with the two rubber hold downs and the 3 lift handles painted with the green and black carc. Whats it worth? Looking to see before i list it.

wsucougarx

Good question, no idea what freight would be. If youre interested you can pm me. Haha I was just seeing how much they go for. I actually have two hoods but im holding one for a guy. If i dont hear from him then I ll sell that one as well

Last edited:

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have talked to Teds trucks in AL., he said $350.00, but there are a couple of different hoods. The one on my A3 is plastic with the metal strips on it. It has fallen down in the middle and looks like a bowl.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
When I put my NOS fiberglass hood on I had to do a little modification. If you place the hood on a flat surface, underside of the hood down, you will notice that the back of the hood is formed in a true 90 degree angle to the bottom of the hood. As we all know the hood does not sit flat on the truck but goes up hill a little in the front. So if you want a good fit you have to trim a little off the rear of the hood to make it fit evenly across the whole back of the hood.

I then found that after using the fiberglass hood a few weeks it did not wear well in the front area where it contacts the top of the grill guard. So I fabricated two small supports to position it to minimize the wear. I do not have a pic of the supports but if there is interest I can get some.

My hood was a GI issue one not a civilian MFG one.

Last edited:

Chain-Saw

I was planning to just screw a couple of rubber bump-stops under the front edge of my hood. Did you get more fancier than that? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing a Pic or 2. :smile:

Yellowsub1962

Hi Guys,

How many of you are (still) in the market for a new production A3 composite hood? and what would be your price point?

I have the mold (mil spec) and a process to make them very similar to the military, except for the spider structure. We would use a different process for that to keep costs way down, while maintaining the strength. These won't be $500 polyester hoods (like Boyce and I think Ranchers), I can guarantee that. I don't do polyester, it's just too heavy. As Docuscg and anyone else that's worked with fiberglass knows, there are just plain heavy parts, and there are parts that are properly designed and structured for maximum strength and minimum weight

These will be epoxy resin, vacuum bagged, and heat cycled just as the military hoods are. As of year ago I was hoping to be in the $1200-1300 price range, but I'm thinking we can come in at/under $1K if I can make several at a time so I can get the materials in bulk.

I have the mold ready to go, and a first run part out of the mold and ready for trimming. I just need some funding and some orders to get the ball rolling. I'm in Southern CO and could be persuaded to visit my family in Michigan/Indiana with a delivery of these for simply the price of my fuel, about $950 (at current prices) so if one of you is close and can take delivery of say, 10, then distribute through local pick-up and friends - Everyone could realistically wind up with close to a mil-spec for around $1100.

jesusgatos

Sounds pretty reasonable to me if you can come close to matching the milspec quality. I see way at least $1000 in the milspec hood that I've got. Easily.

Just a thought, but there might be a bigger market for an A3 composite type hood, but made to fit A2's. Am going to make a custom grill to adapt the A3 hood to my A2, but don't see many people wanting to do something like that, and there are just way more A2's out there than A3's...

Last edited:

Yellowsub1962

Thanks for the feedback, i posted in another thread last night about looking into the A2s and possibly the 5 tons. These would need more time than the A3s since I already have the tooling made and a good part.

I can match the quality of the mil-spec hoods, we built 10 of them for the .gov and I bought the mold. The outside surface and hole data would all remain the same. The inside "spider structure" would be what we'd change to some lighter materials and not as much resin, while still maintaining the integrity of the original part. As of now we are also looking to make the "spider" part of the part, instead of laminating it in a separate application. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think the inner spiders took 15 man hours each, and our proposed way would take 2-3 man hours each. That savings along with material savings is what we're hoping to be enough to bring the price point down.

Thanks again,
Peter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks