• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF 97 Charges unfair

Chief_919

Have people forgotten only a few years ago when NO TITLE WILL BE ISSUED was a standard line in GL ads? I'll gladly pay the $60 bucks.........
Have people forgotten before that when you got it with the sale, no problems.

Government Liquidation screwed everyone when they stopped doing SGF-97's, then as a solution for the problem they created they started charging more money- and we should be glad that they are charging for what used to eb free, just because they have proven they are capable of being even more %^*&((&^^^% up?

That is like GL adding another 5% "forklift operator training premium" to the cost to train their people not to screw stuff up when they move it- should we be happy to pay them extra to do what should be the right thing to begin with???

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if you can't afford $ 60 for a SF-97 you most likely have no business buying a deuce because you can't afford it . Here in michigan you walk into the secratary of state office with
form SF-97 give them $15 more and you walk out with a temorary title and the actual title in about 2 weeks . There are some offices for $20 you can walk out with title in hand .If you title with bill of sale inspections are required ( $100 - $150 ) so the SF-97 is a deal here.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can the kind senator fix that BS 10% fee too? I don't like paying that. As a matter of fact, I don't like paying at all. Maybe if we stir up enough congressmen they can start handing out surplus like food stamps! Free MVs! Why should I have to PAY?

Actually, why can't GL pay ME to take that rusty crap off their hands?

Chief_919

Well if you can't afford $ 60 for a SF-97 you most likely have no business buying a deuce because you can't afford it . Here in michigan you walk into the secratary of state office with
form SF-97 give them $15 more and you walk out with a temorary title and the actual title in about 2 weeks . There are some offices for $20 you can walk out with title in hand .If you title with bill of sale inspections are required ( $100 - $150 ) so the SF-97 is a deal here.
On a duece $60 isn't a big deal.

On a trailer, it is.

But that doesn't matter-what matters is that there should be no charge for the SF-97. Just because Government Liquidation has proven they can be so incomptent that they can screw it all up doesn't mean we should be happy to pay them $60 to get right what should be- and used to be- provided at time of sale at no cost.

GL gets the SF-97 at no cost from DRMS. $60 to reassign it to you, and taking many weeks to do it, is unreasonable.

In addition, it is a way for them to make more money without the taxpayers getting a proper return. If a person has $500 budgeted to buy a truck, that means after buyers premium and tax they have a $440 limit to allow for the SF-97.

If the SF-97 was included they would bid $500. Having to pay extra for an SF-97 drives the initial bid prices down, especially on trailers.

Now, how does that affect things? The US Taxpayer gets their cut back from GL based upon sale price. So that $60 they get for doing the SF-97 goes 100% in Government Liquidation pockets. If the SF-97 was included in the sale and the bidder went $60 higher, then the government would get a cut.

It doesn't seem like much- but take all the vehciles sold and $60 each adds up big time....

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

On a trailer, it is.

But that doesn't matter-what matters is that there should be no charge for the SF-97. Just because Government Liquidation has proven they can be so incomptent that they can screw it all up doesn't mean we should be happy to pay them $60 to get right what should be- and used to be- provided at time of sale at no cost.

GL gets the SF-97 at no cost from DRMS. $60 to reassign it to you, and taking many weeks to do it, is unreasonable.

In addition, it is a way for them to make more money without the taxpayers getting a proper return. If a person has $500 budgeted to buy a truck, that means after buyers premium and tax they have a $440 limit to allow for the SF-97.

If the SF-97 was included they would bid $500. Having to pay extra for an SF-97 drives the initial bid prices down, especially on trailers.

Now, how does that affect things? The US Taxpayer gets their cut back from GL based upon sale price. So that $60 they get for doing the SF-97 goes 100% in Government Liquidation pockets. If the SF-97 was included in the sale and the bidder went $60 higher, then the government would get a cut.

It doesn't seem like much- but take all the vehciles sold and $60 each adds up big time....
It's no different than document fees dealers charge , usually a couple hundred dollars in michigan . To the end use buyer it is no big thing , to a dealer it's a fight over who gets the $60 bucks , So the argument is who should make more profit you or them . You being a resale dealer figure they shouldn't make anthing for there time to process it , but I would bet you don't lower your price if you didn't have to pay it .

Chief_919

It's no different than document fees dealers charge , usually a couple hundred dollars in michigan . To the end use buyer it is no big thing , to a dealer it's a fight over who gets the $60 bucks , So the argument is who should make more profit you or them . You being a resale dealer figure they shouldn't make anthing for there time to process it , but I would bet you don't lower your price if you didn't have to pay it .
It is different, because it is something was was done for free before.

Most folks here don't remember how things were done before GL. I do. Your SF-97 came for the final bid price.

Now we pay more- for crappier service.

Would I not lower my price? Maybe, maybe not- but in resale the name of the game is profit after all.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is different, because it is something was was done for free before.
Not accurate. Document fees when buying a vehicle is fairly new. There were no document fees on a 1971 Mustang. This is something that was added to boost profits along the way.

Chief_919

Not accurate. Document fees when buying a vehicle is fairly new. There were no document fees on a 1971 Mustang. This is something that was added to boost profits along the way.
I meant specific to military surplus sales. Prior to the whole fiasco of Government Liquidation, the process was simple. Stuff was sold at whatever DRMO it was turned in at, and you got your SF-97 when you bought the truck.

Ahh the good old days- when you showed up, looked at the stuff, bid on the items, paid for your purchases, loaded and went home- all in one day. If you wanted to bid and were not there, you submitted your bids via fax or email.

No screwed up payments when they can't properly run your credit card then blame you, no dealing with half assed minimally staffed sites where you can't ever get someone there, no buyers premiums, no paying $1000 to ship $150 worth of goods across the country at taxpayer expense so Government Liquidation can save money on staffing. No fees for SF-97's. No having to ahve an appointment to preview, just show up during posted hours.

It is rare when government employees can do a better job than contractors- but this is a case where they were 10000x better.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

On a trailer, it is.

Just curious - do we know the Gov (and taxpayers) don't get a cut of the 60 bucks? Has anyone ready the contract? Or even found the contract to read?

Chief_919

Just curious - do we know the Gov (and taxpayers) don't get a cut of the 60 bucks? Has anyone ready the contract? Or even found the contract to read?
I would like to read the contract- but given that Government Liquidation just "invented" the $60 fee when they were forced to start issuing SF-97's again I tend to believe it is not included in the contract.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to read the contract- but given that Government Liquidation just "invented" the $60 fee when they were forced to start issuing SF-97's again I tend to believe it is not included in the contract.
Yeah, probably not, but I would like to REALLY know what the cut/split is. I wonder how much of the BS is GL driven and how much is GOV driven?

I wonder how someone could get a hold of the agreement/contract? Freedom of information request?

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I meant specific to military surplus sales. Prior to the whole fiasco of Government Liquidation, the process was simple. Stuff was sold at whatever DRMO it was turned in at, and you got your SF-97 when you bought the truck.

Ahh the good old days- when you showed up, looked at the stuff, bid on the items, paid for your purchases, loaded and went home- all in one day. If you wanted to bid and were not there, you submitted your bids via fax or email.

No screwed up payments when they can't properly run your credit card then blame you, no dealing with half assed minimally staffed sites where you can't ever get someone there, no buyers premiums, no paying $1000 to ship $150 worth of goods across the country at taxpayer expense so Government Liquidation can save money on staffing. No fees for SF-97's. No having to ahve an appointment to preview, just show up during posted hours.

It is rare when government employees can do a better job than contractors- but this is a case where they were 10000x better.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that things are better than they used to be, only that of all the things to make a fuss over...the $60 fee for the SF-97 is really low on the list and not without precident in the private sector.

998Junkie

The transfer document they send is notarized and I suspect a portion goes to that, here I think they charge 25 to 50 for notarized documents. I remember a having to get some real estate papers notarized.

papercu

Ahh the good old days- when you showed up, looked at the stuff, bid on the items, paid for your purchases, loaded and went home- all in one day. If you wanted to bid and were not there, you submitted your bids via fax or email
Boy how quickly some forget, you don't remember sweating bucket under a hot tin roof or when it was so cold it was hard to lift your hand to bid? How about standing in line three hours to pay and then comming back the next day because it then quitting time?
The DRMO ONLY had one way to fix something. You either pick it up or got your money back, that was it.
BTY The only bids that was faxed in or sent USPS (no email) was the National sealed bids and you waited months for a catalog and then waited months for the EUC to come back.Wayne

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
SF 97 Charges unfair is the title of this thread

Life IS NOT FAIR,(all you guys that have more MVs then I do is UNFAIR) WHY should GL along with the SF 97 be fair or for that matter anything else, come to think about it, I DO NOT remember any thing in the CONSTITUTION about things being fair, at least for now FAIRNESS is NOT A RIGHT

AMYs first post is about fairness instead of Hi I just joined ect,ect,ect,, I like to keep new members but if she wants to stay fine, if not, all well, If she had checked out the 97 moaning threads FIRST, we would not have a SIX page on SF97 FAIRNESS, things like this that are causing older members to just fade away and not attracting new ones
:soapbox::rant::soapbox:

Last edited:

bubba_got_you

[FONT=&quot]Ok who told you life was fair? What was was and what is is, it was free and it is not now. They are within there rights to charge what ever they want for a paperwork fee. Just like you or I are within our rights to charge whatever we want for the trucks we have. If it was a hidden fee then I would be all up in arms about it but it is right out there in the open. We know that before we bid if we want a title we will have to pay $60 extra for it. Life in not fair and what used to happen doesn’t anymore. Getting the government involved in this is not going to help anything because it won’t change anything for the good. At best the gov also will start charging a fee for the EUC paperwork. :roll:[/FONT]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks