• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF 97 Charges unfair

paulfarber

Is it fair that new wipers and blades for an M35 can cost $80+ There isn't $8 worth of metal and rubber....

Is it fair that places sell cargo cover kits for $500+?

Is it fair that that winch 'kits' are $1500+ when you can buy a complete running truck for less than that?

Is it fair that swappers will sell you a truck without a title? Then add that $60 SF-97 fee onto the price?

Its funny that some people think that GL is either out to get them, or everything GL does is just to screw them. You buy a truck/trailer according to the RULES you read AND AGREED TO.

Bottom line, you don't NEED an SF-97. But if you want one, its $60. I can't see how they could make it any simpler.

jarhead1086

Lively thread. I hear a lot of good points and history, but personally I don't see what the SF-97 really does to help your home state generate a title. The "Paid" invoice printed off your account has all the needed info my state requires but lacks good proof of authenticity. Why couldn't the GL people sign and notarize a fresh copy of the paid invoice to prove you are the owner? You could pay the notary directly right then if you planned on putting a title on it. The notary could double check the VIN to the invoice too since the load out guys I had at Barstow couldn't even get the 4 digit lot number right. I felt like I was missing something driving away with nothing but a ratty, printed invoice with no signatures or official looking receipts. If I got caught speeding up the hill and pulled over I would have had a big story to tell how I got this truck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't see what the SF-97 really does to help your home state generate a title.
Can't speak for other States but in Georgia, once it's a certain age, they'll only issue you a title if you already have one. Most of the deuces are old enough that if I went in to the DMV with just the BOS/invoice, all I'd get is registered. With the SF97, I can get a title.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lively thread. I hear a lot of good points and history, but personally I don't see what the SF-97 really does to help your home state generate a title. The "Paid" invoice printed off your account has all the needed info my state requires but lacks good proof of authenticity. Why couldn't the GL people sign and notarize a fresh copy of the paid invoice to prove you are the owner? You could pay the notary directly right then if you planned on putting a title on it. The notary could double check the VIN to the invoice too since the load out guys I had at Barstow couldn't even get the 4 digit lot number right. I felt like I was missing something driving away with nothing but a ratty, printed invoice with no signatures or official looking receipts. If I got caught speeding up the hill and pulled over I would have had a big story to tell how I got this truck.
Simple answer about SF-97 vs Paid Invoice...

FACT: ALL US Government Data Plates state: PROPERTY OF U.S. GOVERNMENT

- GL NEVER owned these vehicles. The Federal Government DOES own them before AND through the auction process!
- GL is ONLY the contractor the handles the LIQUIDATION (conversion to cash) of GOVERNMENT PROPERTY (NOT "GL property" - ever!).
- ONLY the Federal Government can release the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT's PROPERTY to the ownership of ANY other entity.
- The Federal Government uses the STANDARD FORM - 97 (SF-97) as their OFFICIAL RELEASE OF OWNERSHIP and authorizes the property to be transferred to PRIVATE OWNERSHIP.

Pretty simply really.
The old saying "YOU CAN'T FIGHT CITY HALL" applies quite well here. Their game - THEIR RULES ! ! !

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are ways to get a title in TN without a sf97 but it's a mountain of paperwork, fees, and fighting with the DMV. I'd much rather pay the $60 for the sf97.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some states will not issue any type of registration or title without the SF-97. Oklahoma is on of them. No SF-97, no title. And every vehicle has to have a title.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks