• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flushing the brake system on an M-39

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced and flushed through my M-39 (in my case M51A2) brake system today. I had to replace some brake lines and thought it was proper time to do so. What I did:

All but the right front line and hose were removed. Basically, each brake cylinder was disconnected from the main brake line. The lines from the Master Cylinder until the splitting blocks on the front axle and on the tandem stayed connected.

I opened the bleeding nipples and let the brake fluid run out of the cylinders (catching it off course)

Using a small compressor, blew air into the bleeding nipple blowing all old stuff out. I did not put the air gun directly onto the nipple but about 1/3 inch away, not knowing if the high air flow might pressure some seals out the wrong way. Maybe over-cautious, but it did work OK anyway.

Then I started on the Master Cylinder. The construction of the vent line had me baffled enough to go back to the computer and the manuals to check what the @#$%$ was happening there and which .... idiot has design this system. In the end, I just removed the vent line, unscrewed the cap, and start pumping the brake, wait a bit, pump again etc etc.

Cleaned the reservoir a bit with a dry cloth and filled her up with the nice blue stuff; fresh new DOT 5. What actually came out was yellowish, and the stuff coming out of the cylinders was a bit mixed and dirty yellowish as well. Anyway, kept filling and pumping with a completely disconnected system until the ends on the front axle and the tandem started spitting out clean blue stuff as well. With all leaking, took about 1 1/4 liter to get that result!

The front axle was spitting blue first, so I connected the new brake line and by the time the rear line gave blue, the stuff now coming out of the front brake bleeding nipples was blue as well.

Tomorrow will connect the new rear lines and keep pumping until those nipples spit blue as well. Then we will do a normal bleeding procedure, then start the engine, try some power braking, stop and bleed again.

Forgetting anything?

The yellowish stuff. Was that the old color of DOT 5, or was the whole system full of DOT 4, or the color coming out does not say a thing about what was in it?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flushing completed, everything blows out blue, but by then it was getting late, and we did not manage to complete everything in time for tomorrow. #@#$% auaauaaua:hammer::mad::cry::cry::shock::sad:

But the truck looks nice with a fith wheel on it.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the flushing finished Sunday afternoon, all coming out nice and blue from all cylinders, and man, without engine, that peddle sticks high and has a lot of pack behind it not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks