• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What would gen set owners recommend.....

rdixiemiller

All
I find myself in need of a generator, 5.5 to about 8kw or so. This unit will run my shop, and be used for back-up power for the house in case of a major storm.
Now, I can use a 208 3 phase unit, or a 120-240 single phase unit. I would like to know what the owners of the various military gen sets would recommend, and what the going rate for one is.
A couple of years ago I saw a military 10KW 208 3ph. unit with a 4 cyl. White diesel sell for $750 on E-Pay. I think a lot of people are not familiar with 3 phase setups, and are afraid of them.
I can use gas or diesel, basically whatever is the best/cheapest/most readily available.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MEP-018A is a good set. Its gas but the engine is almost aircraft. They are available and not all that expensive and they are 3 phase. Problem is they're a bit thirsty and loud. Manual says 2.25 GPh for continuous operation. Kits are available to convert them to LP or natural. I would think one could likely find one nearly running for under $500. Biggest problem is the regulator and if its the open frame one, it can be fixed, cheaply. I always prefer diesel but hey, the gassers work.

devilman96

The problem with Mil gen sets is not the unit cost but finding and buying parts... I have 2 MEP-003's that will proably end up in the dumpster over IP's and other odds and ends because I ether can not find the parts or they are an arm and a leg... Had I not wasted my money on these things I could have bought a 14KV head and would have a running gen set. I have a 10KW gasser that is practically new but diesel is my fetish.

3Ph is the way to go even if you don't need it because its a 12 wire head and can be rewired to suit whatever your voltage and phase needs are... Where you are limited with a 4 wire to 110/220 single.

I would go with a civilian unit and buy diesel if you can swing it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks