• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Air assist cylinder repair.

R Racing

When I first picked up my M35A3 it had a steering problem that it was hard turning left , but easy right . It also cause my air buzzer to go off if you held the wheel to the left. it would drop from 120 psi to less than 60 in a few seconds.After some testing I found my air assist cylinder was bad . After some call I found the company that makes them is still in business. The problem was they had no seal kits in stock and were months out before they may have them again. So I take the seal toi a hydraulic repair shop and they ordered me 2 5" cup seals and I made 2 spacers that supported the new seals and I now have Air assist steering again [thumbzup] here are a few pics .

Attachments

R Racing

I was going to John , But I need to bring up a compact john deere with forks to help do some unloading. I don't have a pintal trailer that will hold it so I'm bringing the F350 with the gooseneck.I may bring it later in the week. there a easy truck to drive ! LOL ;-)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Funny, looks a lot like the piston in an air-pack. How much was it, and are you going to be selling them?

R Racing

Thats what was in the cylinder with bits of aluminum and paint chips that look like they were in there from assy. The company claims its a special grease that they use to assemble them that lasts forever LMBO That didnt look healthy to me. Haven't though about it Gimpy but if anyone is in the same boat I can duplicate it again.

broman78

your problem sounds like the opposite of mine, I can turn left with ease but turning right I have to man up. I currently only drive it on the farm, so no worries about not being able to turn. What is the cost of the spacers and cup seals?

rolling18

When I first picked up my M35A3 it had a steering problem that it was hard turning left , but easy right . It also cause my air buzzer to go off if you held the wheel to the left. it would drop from 120 psi to less than 60 in a few seconds.After some testing I found my air assist cylinder was bad . After some call I found the company that makes them is still in business. The problem was they had no seal kits in stock and were months out before they may have them again. So I take the seal toi a hydraulic repair shop and they ordered me 2 5" cup seals and I made 2 spacers that supported the new seals and I now have Air assist steering again [thumbzup] here are a few pics .
in your 2nd pic can you confirm after removing the snap ring, if you had to unscrew/ twist the end out?
or did you have to "shock/ pull it straight out??:grd:

great pix and info these forums are responsible for many of these beasts still beiing on the road!!

rolling18

Just to update,
I (machine shop) FINALLY repaired my cylinder with the bent main piston rod. got the thing apart took the rod to a friends shop and he bent it back straight again... re-installed all is well again works just like before!! cost..$0!! (just six pack) savings of a (rebuild $700!!!!)

I also had some of that pink grease, before re-assembly I coated everything with some GAA (gl1?)
my kit was NOS and hadnt had much use so rest of rubber parts were good.

rolling18

yes some sort of hydraulic press/ measurement/ truing devices Place called "Precision cast parts" they deal in military/ aerospace manfuaturing if they couldnt get it straightened he would just make another one:) i couldnt see what he did cause of security I was not allowed in building

Last edited:

URSATDX

I was able to find the seal required to repair the air cylinder from MFPseals.com.
I believe the part# is PCD-500. I used a micrometer to measure my failed seal.
You should do the same. The PCD-500 is a 5" dual action pneumatic seal with a
3/4" opening for the shaft. It was plug and play on my air assist on my M35A3.

BoxTruckMan

Is there any trick to getting the end cap off? I removed the ring, have new seals in hand, but can't for the life of me get the dang thing out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks