• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Cat 3116 Max Operating RPM

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There have been several posts on SS discussing the slower operating speed of the M35A3 vs the M35A2, the limiting factor being the CAT 3116 engines. I personally limit my A3 to 45 mph for most driving and 2500 RPM. Others have admitted to running their CAT 3116 engines at significantly higher RPM. I now may have the final word. After a great deal of difficulty, I finally was able to talk to an engineer at Caterpillar concerning the 3116 engine. I found a lot of information on the CAT 3116 engine for marine applications and generator applications, but little for trucks and other applications. I discussed the CAT 3116 engine used in the A3 with an engineer at Caterpillar named Joe Gibbons, who it turns out was very knowledgeable about the engine and the ESP program the Army was running. I provided him with the S/N of my engine (5RMO3750) and he looked up the specifications for the engine in it's application. The engine is rated at 170 HP at 2700 RPM. This information was identical with what was on the data label affixed to my engine. I was told that although the engine would run at RPMs higher than 2700, that Caterpillar absolutely did not recommend anything higher, and that unpleasant things could happen at higher RPMs and that engine life would definitely be shortened. He also warned that the higher operating RPMs would result in a more frequent need for top-end service. The limiting factor with the CAT 3116 engine is apparently the valve train as opposed to piston speed. He recommended not running the engine continuously over 2650 RPM. He also told me that the same or similar 3116 engine used in heavy equipment was recommended to run at 2350 RPM for maximum engine life. Obviously, running an A3 and limiting the engine RPM to 2350 would slow the truck down to an unacceptable top speed. It's too bad AM General didn't use a transmission with an overdrive.

I have also heard people say that the CAT 3116 engine was not a very good engine. According to the CAT engineer, the CAT 3116 and 3126 engine series was very successful, especially in marine and generator applications with constant RPM requirements. I didn't realize it, but there are a significant number of variations of the CAT 3116 engine to the point where I would have guessed that most manufacturers would have given some of them separate model numbers.

Last edited:

big block 88

The 3116 is a great motor all around, the only reason Cat people talk bad on the 31 series is the motors are basically throw away motors. If I remember correctly they are not sleeved blocks so when they wear out the block is trash as you can't just knock out the old liners and slid new jugs in.

3116 is capable of great power and reliability at the same time. I would not worry about it if I owned one. We have had them in Medium duty trucks before and all made it far past 350k miles.

camp9

:ditto:We always called them a 6 pack motor. That motor was used in on a lot of stationary machinery too, like conveyors, crushers, pumps, and always running full bore. Also used in city buses.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
BigBlock88,that is the same thing my heavy equipment mechanic said.He also said they are a dry sleeved engine so becareful not to overheat them.

big block 88

I know a guy here in town that built a 6500 topkick/suburban that he fab'd and he has his 3116 runnin very good, rolls the coal when he is gettin mean with it.

03silverado

Whe have a 1993 GMC Topkick dump truck at work and it has pretty much the same tranny minus the shift pattern of course as the deuce it even has the direct drive when in fifth i read the manual that was in the truck from caterpillar and it said that max operating speed is around 2900 i have the throttle stop backed all the way out so i could go faster than around 50 towing our backhoe to southern maryland and its been that way for about 3 years now and we run the piss out of it if i drive the foot is to the floor trying to push through the floor and no problems with her uses a little oil now and then but hey its got almost 200,000 miles on her so thats not bad in my opinion but its all up to you CAT is going to tell you what the engine is designed to run at constantly such as a generator i would run the piss out of it and not worry they are good engines and yes they are not sleeved i've heard them refered to as 100,000 mile throw aways.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cruse my A3 on I-75 with the cat from Syrose @ 55MPH. the tack says 2200rpm and it goes just fine. Remember the cat is not a chevy big block.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2200 RPM for the eway is a good way to go with the cat. Change the oil and check the fuel pressure pump for heat.

motomacguyver

I cruse my A3 on I-75 with the cat from Syrose @ 55MPH. the tack says 2200rpm and it goes just fine. Remember the cat is not a chevy big block.

Yup, something is off on you instrumentation. 2700 rpm = ~50 mph on mine. I will be running 2650 rpm from now on. The OP. spent a-lot of time to figure this out and I prefer to believe he is correct.

On a further note, how much time is 2 mph going to save us on an average trip?

50 MPH for 8 hours = 400 miles.
48 MPH for 8 hours =384 miles.

16 miles. @ 48 MPH = 20 minutes.

I didn't buy an MV to go fast; I bought it to go far, anywhere: especially where you can't take a RV! = Off-road.

lonegunman

I had my tac verified by Cat when I had the top end done. 48-50mph is between 2550-2650rpm with max revs of 2925rpm. Mine ran that speed 12 hours a day for five days straight at that rpm with zero problems and used less than a quart of oil.

Still runs wonderfully.

motomacguyver

I had my tac verified by Cat when I had the top end done. 48-50mph is between 2550-2650rpm with max revs of 2925rpm. Mine ran that speed 12 hours a day for five days straight at that rpm with zero problems and used less than a quart of oil.

Still runs wonderfully.
Not sure if you’re saying it ran at 2550-2650 rpm or 2925 rpm. However, IF you ran 2925 RPM….

No offense, but that is 60 hours of runtime, on a power unit designed to run 10-15 THOUSAND hours. We could probably run these engines 60 hours without oil and they would still run great. I have read of the CAT 3116 putting out 1000 HP....However with, a MTBF (Mean Time Between Failier) at around 100 hours.

A top fuel dragster puts out between ~ 5000-8000 HP. BUT only has to do it for ~600 Revolutions. (8000 rpm/60 * 4.5 sec per run=600, or close enough)

Shoot…… I could probably get that out of the old lady.....ONCE. (i would be dead, of course.)

Just my 2 cents, but at the cost of a rebuild; my time, at this point of my life, isn’t worth the $. But if I/WE were to have 6 months to live. By all means, LET ER’ RIP.

Just trying to say, 2650 RPM, as CAT designed, is probably a prudent, long life, kind of RPM, to expect from the 3116.

IF you ran @ 2550-2650 RPM I would expect/demand that your rig would run for 12 hours a day for 833 days straight MINIMUM. (Factory rated 10-15k hours)2cents2cents

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks