• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home made 10 ton goosneck using military axles.

n0rlander

I have everything I need to build my own 20k capacity goose neck trailer except the most important parts. AXLES! Buying them new is not an option and I have not found anything used. I am asking the general populous of steel soldiers in all of its experience what military vehicle/trailer should I be looking for to Rat Fk the axles out of for use in my trailer build. I imagine the brakes will be air and that is not a problem as plumbing in an air source is not that complicated. Thank you all for taking the time to read/ post. This trailer will be towed by a civilian dodge ram. Thinking two dually axles rated at 10k each
Sua Sponte

Bighurt

Dexter Axles...love them, won't by a GN without them.

I wouldn't skimp on axles...kinda like a motor to a truck. The trailer is nothing without axles...

You could probably make M200 axles work.

n0rlander

thanks for the help guys- I know this sounds crazy but the plan is to make one out of my school bus that I have converted into my home. so the bus body bolts to the frame rails. I am selling or swapping into a different rig the international dt 466 and alison auto. That leaves me with two frame rails extending out a ways from the bus body where All the fabrication will take place. Best part about this is after I purchase my couple 4 or 5 acres I will jack the bus body up and drive the frame out from under leaving me a nice flatbed and a place to live/stay warm while I build my cabin. I came up with this idea myself but am sure someone out there has done it already. Thats how all my other ideas go.

Using military axles is the most cost effective way to go so thats why I am posting here.
Would love some feedback from some advanced fab guys. I have looked at plenty of 10 ton goose neck trailers and it is not rocket brain surgery.
Biggest thing will be tying in to the frame. I will go over kill on the welds and material as I am dealing with a lot of weight. I have yet to drive my bus over scales But i believe it to be around 12-14k By the time I take out the driveline and MASSIVE rear axle It should be at about 10k.

Stalwart

A bus frame is just too wimpy for your intended weight carrying capability. My little gooseneck has 21 lb/ft. wide flange I-beam plus torque tube.

I agree on the Dexter axles, I use 2 - 12,000 axles with electric/hydraulic disc brakes. My truck stops itself and ther trailer stops itself and the load. No hot brakes here!

Bighurt

thanks for the help guys- I know this sounds crazy but the plan is to make one out of my school bus that I have converted into my home. so the bus body bolts to the frame rails. I am selling or swapping into a different rig the international dt 466 and alison auto. That leaves me with two frame rails extending out a ways from the bus body where All the fabrication will take place. Best part about this is after I purchase my couple 4 or 5 acres I will jack the bus body up and drive the frame out from under leaving me a nice flatbed and a place to live/stay warm while I build my cabin. I came up with this idea myself but am sure someone out there has done it already. Thats how all my other ideas go.

Using military axles is the most cost effective way to go so thats why I am posting here.
Would love some feedback from some advanced fab guys. I have looked at plenty of 10 ton goose neck trailers and it is not rocket brain surgery.
Biggest thing will be tying in to the frame. I will go over kill on the welds and material as I am dealing with a lot of weight. I have yet to drive my bus over scales But i believe it to be around 12-14k By the time I take out the driveline and MASSIVE rear axle It should be at about 10k.
So as I read this you are taking a bus and converting it it into a GN and living in the body until such time as you can jack the body off the frame onto piers of some sort.

Then your intent is to use the frame as a GN?

I'm going to agree with the others in that you will never get the Payload out of the bus frame that you will see on a GN. It's just not designed for the load. 12" I beams, torsion tube, 12k dexter axles and a hydraulic dovetail all set up as low profile with a deck over the neck are all key aspects I'm looking for in a dream GN.

I'll settle for less but I think you should take a look at other options.

Stalwart

My deck is only 29 or 30, including the 11' beavertail. I didn't really need longer and being in the PNW and having vehicles with a high wheel load, I went for an all steel deck. From the day I ordered it, it arrived 30 days later and I went with LOTS of custom stuff on it. Made in Oregon.

Yes, my daily driver and kid hauler, an '08 F450.

Bighurt

Nice, I want an 08' F450 at some point I may buy one...

Right now the F350 hauls the RV and fam just fine. When we upgrade I'm not sure where I'll go. We want a toy hauler but I may just build that myself. Then we'll just take two trucks camping and use group came to park the toys...LOL

Stalwart

The '08 - '10 F450's have the big rear ends (Dana S110) and the Dana Super 60 front axle. The front axle turns so tight my F450 would turn tighter than my wifes former short bed F150 (we haven't checked with her new Raptor) and if I turn tight with the trailer the inside tires move BACKWARDS a LOT.

In 2011 they went to that nice new 6.7 Ford made engine and 6 speed transmission but NEUTERED the truck with a Dana 80 rear and std. 60 front with a payload rating WAY, WAY down from where it was. I cannot replace my truck without going to an F550 (no std. pickup box and no creature comforts). I'm upset they took a truck that was in a class by itself, and made it a rebadged F350. :-(

Bighurt

The '08 - '10 F450's have the big rear ends (Dana S110) and the Dana Super 60 front axle. The front axle turns so tight my F450 would turn tighter than my wifes former short bed F150 (we haven't checked with her new Raptor) and if I turn tight with the trailer the inside tires move BACKWARDS a LOT.

In 2011 they went to that nice new 6.7 Ford made engine and 6 speed transmission but NEUTERED the truck with a Dana 80 rear and std. 60 front with a payload rating WAY, WAY down from where it was. I cannot replace my truck without going to an F550 (no std. pickup box and no creature comforts). I'm upset they took a truck that was in a class by itself, and made it a rebadged F350. :-(
Yup I'm all too familiar with the changes...when they announced the 11' series with the 6.7L the first thing I did was grab the spec sheet for the 450 from a dealer in Missouri that frequents the diesel garage. I was disappointed, the sad thing is I did a F550 build and an F450 build the F550 is cheaper than the P/U by quite a bit.

Considering I want a custom hauler body...it makes sense for me to go with the F550. I bought a M915 instead...LOL

By the time I'm ready to upgrade I will either de-power a 08' and Frankenstein the truck or buy a chassis cab.

Honestly the changes that Ford did make sense, from a financial point of view. The can now eliminate the F450 assembly line...only difference is the cosmetic badge.

Honestly I can't stand the 11' body style. Our model's stock look great, modified they look sick and murdered they are untouchable.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I'm sure people hate the 08-10'...

How you like the Red?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks