• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Frame Seal

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been searching for the past hour trying to find posts that could give me tips on installing the three sided windshield seal into the windshield glass frame. I have the new seals ready to go and hope someone can tell me the best way to do it

ranchhopper

You have to be careful when putting them in if you stretch it you will make it to long on one sde or the other. I used a butter knife and got both bottom corners in first so it would stay centered and used dish soap they went right in.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
search for posts by dabtl. You will be richly rewarded.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry, I had to run to an appointment. I don't really remember how I did the last ones. Yes, make sure you don't stretch it.

oddshot

Other seals you may want to consider if you are re-sealing the entire windshield assembly.

I just disassembled, cleaned, primed, painted, and resealed the WHOLE enchilada on my truck.

ALL of it. It was a LOT of work.

Anyoldways … here’s some stuff I found helpful.

The roll with the green and striped paper is a 3M product … its ½” X 1/16” double sided tape. I use this stuff to center the glass in the windshield frames. I just folded 1” strips of it in places around the edge of the glass. I guess I placed 3 strips per side. I used GE Silicone II sealant … filled all four cavities of the frame with it … slipped in the glass in the U shaped frame member, pushed it in at the bottom, pulled the sides close with a large wood working clamp … and pushed down the top.

The spec sheet on the Silicone II sealant tells me that it’s OK to use with ALL metal EXCEPT galvanized steel. A LOT of the silicone oozes out when you do this … and it can get VERY messy. If you just set the frame aside after you get the screws tightened down, and let the silicone cure over night … clean up is a LOT easier.

The Frost King products I got down at the Home Depot.

The ¾” X 5/16” installs along the bottom of the frame where it meets the cab of the truck.

The 3/8” X 3/16” goes along the front of the top of the windshield hinges where they screw into the Frame.

The 3/8” diameter Poly Foam Caulk Saver (the rope lookin’ stuff) I used at the ends on the windshield hinges. BTW … I LOVE this stuff! Its very resilient and works as a good gasket or seal anytime I screw two sheets of metal together and don’t want to glue or silicone goop them all up.

Speakin’ about Goop … Amazin’ Goop is a GREAT adhesive. It works fast … its real strong, and “just a dab will do ya” in most jobs.

oddshot

Attachments

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't find anything that worked really well. I used some vegetable based tire soap to help seat it though. That and the dull putty knife and a combination of screw drivers. Make sure the grove is clean first!

ANGRET

M35 Windshield Rebuilding

Rebuilding M35A2 front Windshield
My passenger windshield was cracked and I wanted to replace it. The frame also had a lot of rust on the lower corners. The plan was to restore window frame install new glass and new seal.
When I start researching how to do this job on the internet I came across a helpful article on doing the window job. Would like to give the guy credit but can’t find name. Some of his tips and my lesions learned are below. Included are before and after photos.

-Remove windshield assembly
-Disassemble windshield
-Remove glass
-Remove paint from frame
-Bead or sand blast frame
-Repair frame to your liking (weld, bondo etc)
-Treat frame with POR15 (POR15, Inc. - Stop Rust Permanently - Repair Gas & Fuel Tanks )
-Epoxy prime frame
-Paint to your liking
-Replace hardware with stainless

After restoring frame I took it to a local glass shop and they cut and set glass for $65.

Installing Seal
- Start with smooth clean frames and make sure the groves are clean
- Butter knife with a rounded edge
- Use a glove
- Use dish soap on the seal prior to insertion

Lay the inside frame face up (see drawing below). Insert the inside edge of the seal on both corners first, about one inch on each side using the thick side of the butter knife rounded edge. Use the knife to roll the edge outside lip of the seal into the groove. Do the same on the other corner and work toward the middle of the bottom windshield. Finish with the sides. The sides will be longer then you need. Trim but leave a little extra.
My intention on writing this was to be helpful and safe others some time in my lesion learned. Please feel free to add or correct mistakes I may have made.

See photos below I hope!

Attachments

JCKnife

That PNG drawing 2 posts up won't open for me. My question is: does the beveled side or the flat side face forward?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks