• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Frame Seal

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did notice this thread was about WS-frame seals.......?

G.
Thx for the reply, and yeah, hijacked the thread but figured the people posting here would know without starting a new thread.
Sorry

BTW, I did the seal instal and full assembly the other day; THANKS to all the Posters!!

rtbcoop

So a LITTLE off topic, but I was curious if anyone had welded in windshield frames? As in having two stationary windshields that do not fold out and are mounted like standard vehicles. This could be a good way to never have to worry about seals again... so long as you never plan on opening your windshield. Just a thought

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So a LITTLE off topic, but I was curious if anyone had welded in windshield frames? As in having two stationary windshields that do not fold out and are mounted like standard vehicles. This could be a good way to never have to worry about seals again... so long as you never plan on opening your windshield. Just a thought
The amount of work to do that wouldn't be worth it. Memphis used to make one piece windshields, with sealed glass. Don't know if they make them anymore.

rtbcoop

I wouldn't even consider it unless I installed A/C.
Yeah I completely agree with you here. I am planning on putting in AC so that isn't an issue. The fixed winshield would help seal the truck for the AC too.

The amount of work to do that wouldn't be worth it...
All you would have to do is weld a 3/4" flange around the inside of the frame, cut glass to fit, and glue it in. Not too much work for never having to worry about water pouring in when it rains. You could also get rid of the windshield supports which would open up your field of vision. Just an idea I was throwing around and was wondering if someone before me had pioneered the way.

Last edited:

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my 2019 addition to this very helpful thread.

Clean the groove in the windshield frame. It cant be too clean.

Any lubricant which won't hurt the gasket is OK. Like Barbara Walters, I used Astroglide. Get it in the groove and only on the parts of the gasket that go in the groove. Like Sally used to tell me...." Too much lube is almost enough."

I got an inch and a half putty knife at the local IGA for $1.99. After dulling the blade, it worked perfectly to push the edge of the gasket into the groove.

Fit the two bottom + side corners on before doing the bottom edge. It wouldn't hurt to start in the very center of the bottom after getting the two corners in...if you can.

I used three small, orange handled spring clamps to hold the gasket loosely into place, so I didn't have to keep reaching down for the gasket while working it into the groove.

DO NOT stretch the gasket. Consciously make yourself only push the gasket down into the frame, and do not pull the gasket tight.
In the unlucky event you do stretch the gasket, all is not lost. You can heavily lube the gasket in the frame and work it corner to corner as needed. Glad I figured that one out!

Don't trim the two loose ends of the new gasket until the windshield is reinstalled. Its really easy to think you're cutting them perfectly, yet once reinstalled in the truck, you may have cut them a bit shorter than perfect.

Between 20 minutes and 90 minutes per side should be a reasonable time goal to set while installing these gaskets.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing I would add is, orient yourself before you rip the old rubber out - which side is which. It is very frustrating when, after you got the new one in and perfectly seated, you discover that it is inside out and re-do the whole thing, only to discover that you had it right the first time.
On the plus side, the second window went much, much faster with the extra practice!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks