• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can Propane Cylinders replace the Ether Cylinders for cold start?

goldneagle

My truck has the Ether Cold Start Kit installed to the new engine. They never installed the actual cylinder. i was shopping around for the cylinder, but have not found a source. Looking at the Propane and MAPP gas cylinders and they seem to look the same as the ether cylinder.

I started to wonder if a Propane cylinder could be used to help start in cold weather. Would the cylinders fit the existing ether socket?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Propane will work better in fact because it is not as volatile and has a tendency to start on -0 days better than either. CAUTION"""Propane has more pressure and requires a quality regulator for lower pressure.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
napa can get the correct cylinder there are a few threads with part numbers listed . here in the north just about every truck stop has them.

jdoktor83

I just picked up 4 Ether cans at my parts store. There are made by Cold Start. The parts guy said they retailed for $49 each, but let me have them all for $49 because they had been there for a long time.I think that was a good deal

greg2560

If you need that big of a can of start a bomb. You might what to do some work on your motor. I hate useing start a bomb. Not good for the motor. Mabe a block heater?:grd:

motomacguyver

"Quick start" brand, From the factory, is the most cost effective I have found, and I searched A LOT. 18.50 per canister, HOWEVER there is a HAZMAT fee for any shipment. 25$ whether you order one or 25.

Propane/MAPP is bad because the gas is heavier than air and can settle to the bottom of your crankcase and could cause an explosion. (It has happened)

datadawg

"Quick start" brand, From the factory, is the most cost effective I have found, and I searched A LOT. 18.50 per canister, HOWEVER there is a HAZMAT fee for any shipment. 25$ whether you order one or 25.

Propane/MAPP is bad because the gas is heavier than air and can settle to the bottom of your crankcase and could cause an explosion. (It has happened)
I just searched for an ether start can and they seem to be quite expensive, $49 per can. Does the Quick Start brand have retail distribution anywhere? I may want to start the truck once or twice in the winter, so heater is not practical or cost effective.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any truck shop, farm shop, or other construction type equipment dealer should have them.

Gunzy

I don't think propane will work as starting fluid because when it is compressed it turns back to a liquid state instead of combusting, that is why propane and natural gas diesels have had ignition systems installed. MAPP I have no idea about.

DrillerSurplus

I don't think propane will work as starting fluid because when it is compressed it turns back to a liquid state instead of combusting, that is why propane and natural gas diesels have had ignition systems installed. MAPP I have no idea about.
Gunzy is correct that propane won't work. To run on either natural gas or propane, a diesel engine needs either a spark ignition or a small amount of diesel injected to ignite the propane/natural gas.

http://www.alternatefuel.com/PropaneWithDieselFuel.pdf
Propane (LPG) by itself will NOT self ignite in a compression ignition Diesel Engine.

rustystud

December 8th, 2016.

Which is why I always loved my flame heater starter unit, no extra parts, no extra cost, worked every time!
The problem with the "Flame Heater Starter" units is the constant maintenance they need. They work great and get the job done, but since they need constant maintenance most people don't do it and they end up with problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks