• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 radiator replacement 432098; engine oil cooler lines don't fit

top_prop

Like I posted above, I put one of these Vista Pro's in my CUCV and another in my 87 R20 Suburban... one of them developed a leak at the solder joint (about a year after installed) near the upper radiator hose. Got a replacement (I purchased mine from Advanced with a lifetime warranty). When I pulled the covers off the oil cooler lines on the new one the female threads were completely corroded... had to go back and get a replacement for the replacement... second replacement was ok, but had a little corrosion there too (like the original poster's pics). Also had large chunks of solder floating around it it. Had to shake them out.

Seems like the manufacturer has quality control issues.

K9Vic

Got mine in today and it arrived fine even with a small hole in the box. I did not have any of the issues top_prop noted with mine, all was well and no solder fragments. I flushed it out before I put it in just in case, but all was clean inside.

Install was easy expect getting the trans lines to line up to thread them in. After bending them around some I got it and that part really took the longest installing it. It is not as tight a fit as the OEM, but works well enough. I also cleaned my A/c condenser fins before I installed it back in.

Took it on a 20 mile test drive and the temp gauge did not go over 200 with the A/C on. Before I would hit 220 and start getting to 240 with the A/C on or sometimes with it off. So far so good and this weekend I will take it on a longer trip to test it out.

It was about $220 shipped as I had to pay tax, guess that was because it shipped out of Houston, TX. Still a good deal with the coupon code.

Last edited:
***********************************UPDATE ON NAPA PRICING OF RADIATOR AS OF 08/12/2014***********************************
1984-87 chevy k30 1 ton 4wd
M1008
M1009
m1010
m1028
m1031

Part Number: NR 2098 Product Line: NAPA Radiators

Attributes:Engine Oil Cooler Size : Plated 6 8 1/2
Radiator Core Size : 34 1/8" x 19 3/16" x 2 1/2"
Radiator Inlet Connector Size : 1 3/4"
Radiator Inlet Header Size : 21" x 3 5/8"
Radiator Make : CHEVROLET GMC
Radiator Mount Type : Saddle Mount
Radiator Outlet Connector Size : 1 3/4"
Radiator Outlet Header Size : 21" x 3 5/8"
Transmission Oil Cooler Size : Plated 8 1/2

How to Measure a Radiator

Technical Notice: Stress Relief Cuts

Warranty:
Warranty PDF
Buyer's Guide:For a list of specific cars that this part is compatible with, please visit our Buyer's Guide.

Purchase Item
$521.10 /ea
In Stock

Its been more than two years now, no issues with leaks or any problems. I installed five of the radiators so far. In the following 2 1986 M1009, 1987 3/4 Ton Federal Suburban,1987 GMC 3500 Postal Service Wrecker and a M1010. I have worked all these 6.2 powered vehicles every week with not a sign of failure.

K9Vic

Its been more than two years now, no issues with leaks or any problems. I installed five of the radiators so far. In the following 2 1986 M1009, 1987 3/4 Ton Federal Suburban,1987 GMC 3500 Postal Service Wrecker and a M1010. I have worked all these 6.2 powered vehicles every week with not a sign of failure.
You are referring to the aluminum one looking at you past post, correct?

I also have had no issues with mine for almost a year now and did allot of off road driving in this hot Texas summer. Seems to run cooler at idle over the slow driving, but that is probably the transmission and oil adding to that extra heat. Have no worries letting it idle on a 105* day, stays under 200. Only when I was towing a heavy trailer with a M1008 did I start to push 220. I added an electric fan to help cool and that does help, powered by the A/C or Defrost switching.

Overall I would put one of the aluminum ones in over anything else, they run so much cooler and cost allot less over that one from NAPA.

top_prop

The vesta pro I replace and had soldier chunks in it may have blocked passages... Suspect from the soldier as it will run a little hot when it's hot and on a longish trip.

K9Vic

The vesta pro I replace and had soldier chunks in it may have blocked passages... Suspect from the soldier as it will run a little hot when it's hot and on a longish trip.
I read that either from you or someone else about the aluminum ones so I flushed it out before I installed it. Did not see any solder on the ground, so it was likely fine. Mine came from Genesis and was shipped out of Houston.

Awesome to hear the reply with that info was to give an update in case someone was looking for a current pricing situation,I have the napa radiator I spoke of and im happy have been for 3 years.I was Amazed it went up considerably I paid $425 for mine and so far so good.The post wasn't persay a plug more of a Recent Part number.I was frustrated when I first started messing with the m1008's so if this post pops up,maybe it will help someone.i agree if I buy another radiator it will be an Aluminum myself.

Keith_J

Wow, they must be made of gold. Thankfully I was able to repair the tank seam leak in my step son's 1009. Not EPA or OSHA approved method, torch and blow gun to get the old solder off, then clean to bright metal and coat with flux. Clamp together and solder away.

i used a Rubbermaid stock tank as a test tank, also using empty caulking tubes to plug hose connections. Set air pressure regulator to 15 psi and all was golden. Had only one bum tube, also soldered shut.

Newtire

I replaced the fittings with the ones out of my old radiator after first fishing out the o-rings with a small screwdriver. Use teflon thread dope on fittings and use the new o-rings of course.

Keith_J

These are called Beadlock fittings, used in mobile air conditioning. There are TWO lengths of ferrule, short and long. These are the #8 beadlock fittings.

Yes, you can make a short out of a long.

Ran into this problem with my boy's 1009.

helobravo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I searching for a radiator now and thought I would add to the info here.
As of 10-6-15 Ebay has the radiator for about $150 with $47 shipping.
1-800 Padiators in Baton Rouge has it for $215.
Rock Auto, who I use to price match Advance has it listed for $147.
I did use the part number (APDI number?) of 8010607.

helobravo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These prices sound like they are 305/350 gas engine radiator prices. Show us the pictures of the radiator when it arrives.
I didn't buy it. I got my leak fixed and found that my radiator won't hold up for a good rodding, so I will run it until it gives out.
The radiators I listed are for the K5 Diesel, however, I believe they are aluminum and plastic, although one review said all metal. I don't believe that for those prices.
Aluminum and plastic is what you get these days. Screaming at the sky won't change a thing.

cucvrus

I happen to like aluminum and plastic radiators. I had been using them for years as GM direct replacements. They discontinued copper and brass radiators for te CUCV's many years ago. 15 years ago I had a collision and the other person was at fault. I sent my M1028 to a body shop at a GM dealer and they did the repairs. Repainted the entire truck original camouflage . And when I went to get it I noticed it had a GM plastic and aluminum radiator installed in it. And they did an awesome job on the repairs.

nyvram

if anyone is still interested in the autozone copper/brass radiator (B850) that normally sells for $325, they have a coupon code right now WIND20 that knocks 20% off making your total $260 (FREE SHIPPING) + tax.

for a lifetime guarantee plus a manly 4 core metal radiator this is a no-brainer deal.

scottladdy

CU850/B850 Radiator Specification Changes

if anyone is still interested in the autozone copper/brass radiator (B850) that normally sells for $325, they have a coupon code right now WIND20 that knocks 20% off making your total $260 (FREE SHIPPING) + tax.

for a lifetime guarantee plus a manly 4 core metal radiator this is a no-brainer deal.
A few things:
1. Advance also has a deal that can be used on what looks like their version of the ADPI radiator http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/Local-Search-P20-Detail?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-Enhanced-_-Cooling_System_Radiators_phrase_chz&_Air_Conditioning&jt=1&jap=1t1&js=1&jcpid=8a8ae4cd468849b40146aeb61efc5944&jkId=gcp:se_34339:t_kwd-10789360:ag_17824347325:cp_186118165:n_g:d_c:cr_74150831365:fi_&jsid=34339&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwIKxBRDKhOz7ytT30vkBEiQAT1NaPQXT-H2njyqzlgcrp571YEBH5nHqmjvzyF9hW86SSckaApDY8P8HAQ#utm_source=acq&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=enhanced&utm_content=cooling_system_radiators_phrase_chz

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-or-toughone-radiator-432098/3900681-P?navigationPath=L1*14922|L2*15022

2.I've had issues getting the copper version of the CU850/B850 shipped without damage. The radiator is HEAVY! (compared to modern aluminum/plastic tank models). Spectra packages it in cheap corrugated. The vendors don't repackage in tougher material more suited to shipping. I went through 6 at my local AZ before I got a "good" one, which just developed a leak after being installed for a year. The staff at the store were really good about it, but could NOT get the shipping team to properly package no matter how hard they tried (and they tried).

3. A number of recent reviews have indicated that they are now shipping a 3 core or aluminum/plastic version from Spectra. Their site now lists it as a 3 core.

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/prod/CU850

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3MK3X...etail-glance&nodeID=15684181&store=automotive

http://www.amazon.com/review/R399JVSXV1FO96/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000C7QIKW&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=15684181&store=automotive
Note: A good write up on copper vs aluminum radiators - http://www.caparadiator.com/aluminumvscopper.html

4. While I'll probably pursue the lifetime warranty on the now leaking unit as I paid for it, for < $150 plus shipping I just ordered the ADPI unit from RockAuto just to see how good it is. Unfortunately this is the wrong time of year to test cooling capacity up heeyah in the Nor'east. Anyone have experience with this unit?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3606795&cc=1053021&jnid=478&jpid=0

nyvram

If this one arrives in poor condition we might just go the rock auto route.

Also autozone just sent me an email saying the thermostat was no longer available.

Could anyone recommend a decent thermostat brand? Preferably something we could pick up locally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks