• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 - Combat Camper Build

Wolf.Dose

Hey Bad_carp,
you built something which US-Army batallion commanders had built for themselves (or better let built) in the 70's in Germany. That was the time after Vietnam and in the cold war, when they fit any vehicle to their rquirements. I have seen M109 with simelar equipment (except toilet, for not available by that time), used by Captains, Majorsand higher ranking, just modified to their needs. So it seems, everything is correct in the 70's. In the 80's to my information this was stopped officially, however, existing stuff was still in use.
My battalion commander in 1977 used a 5 ton MAN as a "motor home" quite well equiped, as far as I saw.
Wolf
Someone here built a M109 including shower!

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are you keeping your spare tire? I'm currently idle on my project. However, it's reads like this that help jumpstart things. Great write up!! Something that I really haven't thought about is the roof vent. May need to get that one in the books. Great idea!!! Do you have a model number on the battery equilizer? What gauge cable you running to your battery bank?
The spare tire will go in the box, along the back door on the driver side. I say will go as I currently don't have a spare tire (need to get one of those). That made it easier to decide to place the gen box there, and as I plan to switch over to larger tires one day, the larger spare wouldn't have fit there anyway.

The battery equalizer is a Vanner 60-100C Voltmaster I picked up used online, works great. I'm using 08 gauge cables from that to the battery bank.

The roof vent was simple to do and make a worlds of difference out here in the desert. I will add an RV air conditioner to the roof as well, just looking for the right deal.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that it is really anything to look at, but I did recently replace the old 25A Generator, Voltage regulator and wiring. I installed a 70A Alternator and complete front wiring harness. Works great.

Attachments

The Gimlis

Roof top a/c good idea for the desert. We do 90% mtns so we knew a rooftop a/c would get wiped off with the first tree branch...

Looks good! And it really works and you use it! awesome!

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roof top a/c good idea for the desert. We do 90% mtns so we knew a rooftop a/c would get wiped off with the first tree branch...

Looks good! And it really works and you use it! awesome!
The portable water cooler I have in there now does a pretty good job, but still plan on the roof top A/C.

Yep, it gets plenty of use, will be headed out this weekend in it for Mil-sim with Col. McKnight (Blackhawk Down) which is always a good time.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The roof vent is pretty cheap and really helps cool the box. Hot air rises and goes right out the vent. This allows the water cooler to really keep the box cool. I think the vent was only like $40.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks