• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 - Combat Camper Build

I have not measured mine, but I believe they are 12' long, if I'm not mistaken. I'm wanting to convert one of mine to a camper, but I'm thinking of cutting a doorway between the cab and the front of the box, then fiberglassing in everything to sort of make it like a condominium. Wonder if anyone has attempted this?

59apache

Chipmaker
i think its possible, as long as make a flexible connection between the cab and the box...

look at axels M109, how much the frame flex...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZIvg4iCaj0[/media]

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great job ! May I suggest that you either move the house batteries outside or seal them in a box vented to the outside.
I had a customer with a battery on a charger in a closet, he opened the door one day and lit a match to see in the closet and it blew up. That hydrogen gas is really flammable. He had no eyebrows left!

Remember to check the electrolyte levels weekly, the level can go low without any warning.

I had a problem with a 12vdc forklift battery I have installed in a ballistic container with Inverter, balancing transformer and generator, Its pictured on the right painted yellow. It had a full charge and the inverter/charger kept it trickle charged for 5 months w/o any use. I just happened to pop a cap to inspect the cells. The level on all 6 were below the top plates. The entire battery took 2.4 gallons of purified water to get back to full.

Also of note, you can see how I ventilated the back with in-line centrifugal duct fans. Hydrogen gas is nothing to play with and is extremely explosive..! BTW, your build is awesome...!

Attachments

Last edited:

JimmyThompson

I've thought of doing a "pass-through" too. The flex is definitely something to factor. Google "accordian boot" they make an extra-large "boot" that should accomodate the flex, cheap too!

cx65083

Home made "pass through" Ideas....

I've thought of doing a "pass-through" too. The flex is definitely something to factor. Google "accordian boot" they make an extra-large "boot" that should accomodate the flex, cheap too!
What about splitting a 16.00x20 inter-tube and using pop rivets with extra wide fender washers? That would be CHEAP! This would be water proof and accommodate LOTS of flex. Not sure how loud that would be going down the road though.

59apache

Chipmaker
that will work. large fire hoses are also often used. if you build small frames for example of angle iron (cab mount) and flat iron and sandwich it between, you'll have a nice waterproof passtrough withn no sharp edges...

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not measured mine, but I believe they are 12' long, if I'm not mistaken. I'm wanting to convert one of mine to a camper, but I'm thinking of cutting a doorway between the cab and the front of the box, then fiberglassing in everything to sort of make it like a condominium. Wonder if anyone has attempted this?
Definately need a flexible gap seperating the cab and the box. Just turning a corner would rip the fiberglass apart. A 3" accordian rubber band would work great and allow enough flex for just about anything.

TB58

bringing back an ancient thread.....Any one try the accordion seal? With the dogs it would be really nice to have a pass through so they wouldn't be completely separated from us.

kurtkds

I'd seen a 900 series truck that the owner had put 2 bucket seats in the cab and a dog door through the back of the cab then put some walls and a floor out of steel to span the gap between the cab and the front of the box. The box was modified to have a small swing gate that opened to allow the dogs access between the cab and the box. The window on the front of the canvas was also modified to open like a tent door. It was a real slick idea.

Deucelander

I've started to install the pass through using the accordion boot. It will take me awhile to complete it as I don't have endless amounts of time to work on the deuce.
But here are some photos of the initial cut thru the cab. I started to cut through the cargo box wall but my arbor sheared off in the drill so that ended the days activities.
I ordered 12 feet of the accordion boot which should be more than enough to go around the hole. I ordered the 2" compressed, 7" expanded side boot. The site I ordered from now offers a 10" expanded with 4" compressed but I didn't want the boot pushing into the opening more than necessary. I am not worried about the flex between the cab and the box. The only off-roading I do in this truck is getting to my back yard.20150607_161903.jpg20150606_172607.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks