• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Motor Carrier Inforcement in Michigan

rmgill

So let us see take a look at these past two weeks. A Ludington judge throws out a drunk driving charge because there was a discrepancy in the two blood alcohol tests a .29 and a .30. Also a 21 year old convicted last may of a dui pays our states new "bribe for a clean license" in April and then hits a 19 year old on a moped in Standale, drags it 3 miles only to then call 911 and tells the dispatcher " I think I was in an accident." Police believe he was under the influence, big suprise. Moreover heartbreaking beyond belief the 19 year old was killed. Hold everything, oh my goodness a swinging license plate...WE HAVE LOST OUR MINDS
You missed the people ticketed by FOUR officers in Rochester for parking more than 12" from the curb in the suburbs.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will eventually get to the point where CDL drivers will be as professsional as airline pilots.
Not until they are considered skilled labor and paid properly by the hour, not cents a mile, forced to work with broken equipment, and treated like cr@p. You may get your wish but don't be at the front of the complaint line when it cost $25 instead of $9 to ship a 1 lb box by fedex or $1000 to ship a transfer case instead of $400.

Truckers Trucking Forum | Largest CDL Truck Driver Message Board - The Largest Truck Driver Forum

natem

I just would like to remind all why I started this thread. I have been repeatedly pulled over with my work truck (a IH 4300), in the process I learned MI has Hired and trained a number of NEW motor carrier officers. These new officers will be by the book.
Just be forewarned they will want to show they know the law.

dave wagner

be carful when the the dot starts to inforce the new regs. over 10k with com. plates class a cdl, no alcohol at all on truck, inspection records, etc.

ranchhopper

Not until they are considered skilled labor and paid properly by the hour, not cents a mile, forced to work with broken equipment, and treated like cr@p. You may get your wish but don't be at the front of the complaint line when it cost $25 instead of $9 to ship a 1 lb box by fedex or $1000 to ship a transfer case instead of $400.

Truckers Trucking Forum | Largest CDL Truck Driver Message Board - The Largest Truck Driver Forum
AMEN I got tired of being stopped by nit pickey local cops that just see dollar signs as you drive by. I used to drive an 18 wheeler pulling tanker, dump trailer as well as low boy for the company I work for now I operate heavy equipment for the same company because of excessive stops for thing a few years ago were laughable. Every time I was stopped and ran into the scales I thanked the cop for wasting my time and the companys money to satisfy his curiosity when sending me on my way being way underweight. I truly think if the law were changed to where if a truck was not heavy when ran into a scale the municipality the officer works for should be liable for the truck time involved this would cure a lot of (fishing) for extra cash dragging legal trucks to the scale in hopes of netting a fist ful of money from the occasional over weight truck. This and the ignorance and lack of courtesy of the driving public finally got me fed up with driving a truck and my change over to running a loader but its coming a time where nobody in his right mind will want to drive a truck anymore then think about the old saying " if you have it a truck brought it" OK my rant is over for the day.

natem

so how many times will you get pulled over before you fix the plate?
Two times in 10 days, second time was when I found out why. I drive under 26000 so I don't need CDL. I gave up my class A license when we went to fed. drivers license. Just know in MI any vehicle with a "obvious commercial appearance" or displays a DOT registration number is within there jurisdiction. If you display a dot number on your pickup the driver must have a class c license minimum and a current medical card. Also if you are more than 100mi. from home you must have a up todate log book dateing back min. of 3 days. If you really want me to rant, ask what kind of paperwork you should have on file at home.

Nate

Edit: we are wandering a little from the MV hobby, but keep what I said in mind if you live here or do a recovery here.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

December 13th, 2011.

It says something when you can buy a boat and run it with no training and just a state registration, but it's getting to where owning a deuce privately is going to be too much of a pain! I never could get a straight answer in Texas on the Fuel Sticker requirements, but at least they don't harass the MV owners to death like some other states. One last comment, I knew a lot of old truck drivers who would never have passed the current CDL tests who drove for years, and most of them were more intelligent, better practical and courteous truck drivers then the ones we generally see today as OTR's. The other one that should cause one to have pause is the old guys driving 40' 3 axle motorhomes and no CDL or Medical......
Just my 2cents worth,

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is the LAW, then there is the officers version of a law. I have nothing nice to say about ANY Michigan Law enforcement officer. Nevermind.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would be happy if the cops would just learn from the same book. 2 years ago I owned a repo business. One of my trucks got pulled over in lower Michigan and was told and wrote a ticket, because he said a repo truck had a special law that stated we had to have magnetic signs on the side of our trucks, so when not hauling they were to be taken off. We bought all magnetic signs for my 5 trucks. A few weeks later in another town a different driver got pulled over and given a ticket
($500.) and was told the law stated that repo trucks were not allowed to have magnetic signs on the truck that they had to be permanet and to get the vinyl lettering. Of course he get a ticket. A few weeks after that one of my drivers got a ticket because he had vinyl signs on the truck. This cop said they had to be painted on. We went to court on this and told the judge what had been happening. The judge asked me one question, what would happen if I peeled a corner up and tried to peel the letter off. I told him they would just break up in pieces. This judge dimmissed the case and gave us a letter signed by him with the # of the law and a brief explanation of what it meant. We made copies of it and carried it in all the trucks. We have been pulled over several times since but after we showed the cop the letter we were just let go.
If I do wrong I should get punished for it. But don't keep changing the rules and telling me I'm wrong.

camp9

This is called discretionary function, and it seems that it is being exercised and used more and more, redefining law to suit a give situation.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My neighbor Charles went outside and started his F350 Diesel Harley truck to warm it up 2 weeks ago. His neighbor is a bieotch and called the Oakland County sheriff because of the sound level, and they drove in his driveway, opened his truck, removed the keys and put them in his pocket, went to his car and wrote Charles a ticket for vehicle running unattended. Charles called me and was crying the ticket was $300.00. I told him to call the Capitan and verify the ticket was legitimate. He was told to tear up the ticket the officer was mistaken and that law was for people at the gas station, grocery store, party store anywhere BUT home.

My point is, Just because the law writes a ticket or charges you for what they think is a indiscretion does not mean it is legal ticket.

My advice QUESTION EVERYTHING...!

derby

I had touched on this a couple months ago in another thread. Most of the replies were of the "It does not apply to me"
I have farm plates on my M51 and I am required to have a USDOT# and health card. The new USDOT rules were extended for farmers until this past week.
Don't believe me, go to there site and see where your farm plated Deuce ends up. And the guy's with Historic plates driving all over hauling whatever I think your day's are numberd.
Not to be a downer but the State/Feds are broke and they will get there $
A buddy of mine has a 1 ton Ford and was pulling an empty goose neck trailer he was pulled over and given ticket for no USDOT# and a shorted tail light.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nats & camels

Our govt has found a new way to justify
over taxation and over governing its people.......progress?
I think not...............:popcorn:

camp9

I pulled my farm plate off my one ton and put a regular plate on to get around it. I've talked to DOT officers about it, and anything under 26001lbs is in a gray area of that law, it can be interpenetrated either way. The DOT is only focused on one tons, if you put a farm plate on a mini van, (and you can), you won't to stopped and told to put a DOT # on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks