• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Motor Carrier Inforcement in Michigan

bill2444

That radius is suits me just fine for the deuce, my pick- up I just run regular plates to avoid any hassles. However I believe I can go outside that radius, with proper log book. I would have to reread the Manuel. But by the time I do that the laws will probably change again.

undysworld

Sorry for the hijack, but...

Just one more reason, I like it up north!!!
A schoolteacher I met from Detroit once described his dream of retiring to da UP thusly: "I'm moving to F.U. Michigan, population one." accompanied by a gesture of raising his middle finger at me.

It's my favorite description of one of my favorite places.

CplJones

NitPicky

So let us see take a look at these past two weeks. A Ludington judge throws out a drunk driving charge because there was a discrepancy in the two blood alcohol tests a .29 and a .30. Also a 21 year old convicted last may of a dui pays our states new "bribe for a clean license" in April and then hits a 19 year old on a moped in Standale, drags it 3 miles only to then call 911 and tells the dispatcher " I think I was in an accident." Police believe he was under the influence, big suprise. Moreover heartbreaking beyond belief the 19 year old was killed. Hold everything, oh my goodness a swinging license plate...WE HAVE LOST OUR MINDS
In regards to what judges and prosecutors do, that is out of the hands of the normal road cop. You will be suprised as to how much politics goes on in our justice system. Your quote has me believe that we as road cops will overlook someone being dragged down the road by a moped to stop a truck with a "swinging" plate.

These NitPicky things you speak of, let me let you in a little secret. We cops used NitPicky things as legal reasons to get people stopped to find the big things. Perhaps we can find that drunk driver before they drag someone down the road. Perhaps we can find the person coming from Texas with 20 Kilos of Heroin in the trunk. You may think its petty, but traffic stops lead to big things.

Timoth McVeigh was caught after the Oklahoma City bombings after committing a simple traffic violation. One of the 911 terrorists were stopped by a normal road cop for a traffic violation. Had the Feds done their job, he would have been arrested prior to what he did.

So next time a cop stops you for what you think is petty, don't bust our balls, just be polite and 9 times out of 10, you will be let off with a warning. We all have jobs to do. Just my $.02.

kochevnik

This is all happening because the govt is broke and desperate for money.

How broke ?

Go look at the chart below of federal govt expenditures for 2010.

Now subtract 60% of those expenses and you get to break even.

Which 60% do you think we should get rid of ?

This is only going to get far worse as time goes on.

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In regards to what judges and prosecutors do, that is out of the hands of the normal road cop. You will be suprised as to how much politics goes on in our justice system. Your quote has me believe that we as road cops will overlook someone being dragged down the road by a moped to stop a truck with a "swinging" plate.

These NitPicky things you speak of, let me let you in a little secret. We cops used NitPicky things as legal reasons to get people stopped to find the big things. Perhaps we can find that drunk driver before they drag someone down the road. Perhaps we can find the person coming from Texas with 20 Kilos of Heroin in the trunk. You may think its petty, but traffic stops lead to big things.

Timoth McVeigh was caught after the Oklahoma City bombings after committing a simple traffic violation. One of the 911 terrorists were stopped by a normal road cop for a traffic violation. Had the Feds done their job, he would have been arrested prior to what he did.

So next time a cop stops you for what you think is petty, don't bust our balls, just be polite and 9 times out of 10, you will be let off with a warning. We all have jobs to do. Just my $.02.
There are alot LEO's out there that are on super EGO trips that have no business having a badge . There is one here local currently waiting trial for murdering his pregnant girlfreind ( he is also married) while on duty ,then begining the nivestigation , before another officer realized it was his GF. He is now also suspect in at least 3 other murders of boyfreinds of various GF's he has had all of which he was the lead investigator. It seems there are two sets of laws one for common people and one for law enforcement.

Last edited:

kochevnik

I will add -

this country used to be full of MEN - who weren't afraid of ANYTHING. I remember all the tough old bastards I met when I was a kid, guys who ate nails for breakfast.

Now everyone just wants to be 'safe' - have mama holding their hands all the time like little babies ready for their nappy time.

Freedom has a price and one part of that price is you give up your little girl dreams of utterly perfect safety.

That is one of the reasons I come to THIS place, because it's one of the last places where the men still act like men and not gonad-less little weasels.

If that's not Politically Correct, like Tom Selleck said in one of his cowboy movies : "You have no idea how little I care".

kochevnik

Lets not wander off.
Your thread - I respect that.

But keep in mind that just because you ignore the tiger does not mean the tiger is going to ignore you.

A lot of people are going to learn that very hard lesson in a very hard way over the next few years.

But I will shut up now. :)

camp9

That radius is suits me just fine for the deuce, my pick- up I just run regular plates to avoid any hassles. However I believe I can go outside that radius, with proper log book. I would have to reread the Manuel. But by the time I do that the laws will probably change again.
I use to haul hay all the way to KY with my farm plate, but once you go past that 150 mile point you have to do the log book and all the other stuff, and if you go out of state you need to get the IFTA stickers, and in KY you need to be bonded and have a KYU # along with the DOT #.

camp9

For years I did everything that was necessary to run trucks over the road, and I mean everything. I use to run my truck into the stations just to have them do a cat 1 inspection and get a cvsa sticker to keep them off my back when going over the scales. But when they started bothering me with my 3500 dodge after I got out of the trucking business, that was enough. I told the last DOT officer that told me I needed one that's I'll get one if I go back into the business for hire, but until then I won't. I'm all for safety, and playing by the rules if I have to, but as of right now I'm no different than a motor home running down the road that doesn't need to have any of that. As far as cops stopping to find other things, Good for you, but for those who get a rise out of it, that 9 times out of 10 doesn't work anymore. It's all about control. The latitude that has been given and taken by setting president has gone way to far in my opinion.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There are alot LEO's out there that are on super EGO trips that have no business having a badge . There is one here local currently waiting trial for murdering his pregnant girlfreind ( he is also married) while on duty ,then begining the nivestigation , before another officer realized it was his GF. He is now also suspect in at least 3 other murders of boyfreinds of various GF's he has had all of which he was the lead investigator. It seems there are two sets of laws one for common people and one for law enforcement.
There is also the "THIN BLUE LINE" on the back of LEO family vehicles, this lets the LEOs know this is a "LEO FAMILY " hence fewer traffic stops and tickets, or if a ticket, it gets LOST or the LEO does not show up, I was told this was "PROFESSIONAL COURTESY" when I said "I thought the LAW was the LAW for everybody"

Not saying that all LEOs are like this, but does not take a lot to look bad/causes miss trust for all

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CplJones, I actually do respect the law and the law enforcement officers in general, "Out of my County" they are for the most point real good Americans with a family and are not out to set a precedence with every traffic stop. My problem is in Oakland County all the cops know who I am, they all know I am over insured, my license is good and the maintenance is up to date so there are no brake lights out. They have pulled me over for no reason what so ever other than to harass me.

So 3-4 times a year when I get pulled over and they sashay up to the window to ask for the paperwork, I bark at them and ask "What civil rights of mine are we going to violate today..?" I understand attitude is everything but I give out what I get.

Look up Sturgis V Hyrch in the West District 9 federal courts and you will know what I am talking about. I had to sue 5 cops and the Judge in Vegas to change the rules to make it better for the next guy so he would not have to go through what I had to.

I am going through the same process now in a separate case here in Michigan just to make it better for the next guy, 1 man can and will make a difference. 2cents

natem

Know the rules, follow the rules. If you don't like the rules work to change them.

Having said that, let me add I once had 17 trucks. I now have 1 truck 1 driver(me).

Get the book, read the book. I use to carry the motor carrier rule book at all times.

Nate

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks