• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme RV from M36a2

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much of your weight comes with the floor. Those oak floors have to be extra tough to carry the loads that they do. My guess is that 2/3 of the weight came off when you removed the floor.
WOW ! ! !

I just crunched the math that's been contibuted in this thread and am completly amazed.....

If removing the ENDS takes off HALF the weight;
And...
If you drop the floor and lose 2/3's the weight;
Then it stands to reason that....
Your going to have to TETHER the remaining top of the box to somehting PRETTY HEAVY to keep it from floating away like a BLIMP ! ! !

:cookoo: rofl :nothingfunny: :roll: 2cents :idea: :shock: :jumpin:

Last edited:

daddy2

I thought about the wieght issue coldwarrior. Your right, I ancored it down today with jersey wall barriers. Can't have it floating off :grin:. Ideas about the inside are still being tossed around. Basic layout is done. It will sleep 6 comfortably. More if it is between tight conditions and a wet butt. I will see if I can scan a scetch I did of the interior. Don't think the scanner is working though. Insulation might be TEC foil with bubble wrap from Farm TEK and maybe 3/4" polystyrene from lows. It has a alum. foil on one side. Then panneling

Awesome Possum

WOW ! ! !

I just crunched the math that's been contibuted in this thread and am completly amazed.....

And...
Your going to have to TETHER the remainin top of the box to somehting PRETTY HEAVY to keep it from floating away like a BLIMP ! ! !

Quick! Get that sucker to the scales! I just gots to know!

tamangel

D2, you mentioned that your overall height will be about 11'.. What kind of headroom to you anticipate interior wise and in the attic over the cab..You also mentioned opening up the cab for pass-thru access. What will be your method of sealing the pass-through area? If you have the available interior height, you might considered raising the walk-on floor a few feet, again if available per your overall height limits. This will provide a large amount of under floor ( but above truck bed base) storage and room for fresh and waste water tanks and other mechanicals/piping/electrical runs, what have you..see pic url's below..Interested in any more pic's as you go..great potential here..

Mike

http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/wot1/photos/large_photos/10018.jpg

http://www.mrsharkey.com/busbarn/potd/potd1.htm

Last edited:

daddy2

Mike, The overall inside height as of now is 6' 7". With insulation overhead and some cushion on the floor I figure it to be about 6'4". I am going to run all the wiring on the wall to ceiling joint with accessable channel or conduit. I love modifying things so the more I have access to them the better. I plan on putting two 40gal. fresh water tanks under the dinnette bench seats. I looked a water tanks and I think they will fit nicely. I am removing the spare tire and shovel / ax / spade holder and plan to put the grey water and brown water holding tanks there. Th toilet and shower will be right above them. I bought super single rims from GL this past winter, so I will need to relocate the spare. I've gotten some great ideas from you guys and by archiving the site. Hope I keep you guys interested. I never got so many replys before. I've been bragging to the wife. [thumbzup]

phil2968

......... I am removing the spare tire and shovel / ax / spade holder and plan to put the grey water and brown water holding tanks there. Th toilet and shower will be right above them. ...............
Excactly what I'm doing for my M109 conversion. Looking forward to following your build. We love lots of detailed pics so post away.[thumbzup]

Takai13

WOW ! ! !

And...
Your going to have to TETHER the remaining top of the box to somehting PRETTY HEAVY to keep it from floating away like a BLIMP ! ! !

He is tethering it to something heavy...an M36.

daddy2

Ok, got a few more pics. I finished the front frame and re-enforced the front corners. I welded the entire frame t the container. Both inside and outside will be welded and I pre heated the tubing since I used my mig. Next stpe is for me to make the frame for the back end and then I will weld the container walls to the bed. Then I will start on the front overhang. The overhang part will the the most time I think. I have some neat ideas but I'll surprise you guys.[thumbzup]

Attachments

The Gimlis

Hey Daddy - good to see someone actually doing this, instead of just saying they want to.

We did the crawl-thru from cab to camper. 1/8" Neopreme (like wetsuit material) will seal up the hole. If you look at some of our posts when we built up Army Bob, we explain how we made the hole to move with the cab and camper/bed. If you can't find it, let us know and we'll help you out.

We sank a 70 gal fresh water tank inbetween the frame rails at the rear. Access is under the one bed. Leaves more area for storage under the dinette, etc.

We were too busy and moved too quick to get many as-we're-building-it pics. Thanks for sharing yours.

If we can give you any help with something, let us know. Mr. Gimli loves to share all his secrets....about the build anyway....!

daddy2

Thanks gimlis, With it being only me and Poppy working on it and ambition not being what it should, I am sure I will have plenty of time for pics. I am gong to try to find some of your stuff now.
clayt:smile:

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Camper Kit and costs.

To All,

I have an idea for a Kit, for the two most common bed sizes, and if Daddy would be so kind please give me some idea of your cost for just the camper build and labor hours spent before installing anything inside.

No groaning. I know best laid plans, etc. but I have to start somewhere
and if this comes together all members will benefit greatly.

Good luck,
Orren

Thanks gimlis, With it being only me and Poppy working on it and ambition not being what it should, I am sure I will have plenty of time for pics. I am gong to try to find some of your stuff now.
clayt:smile:

daddy2

Orren, Not sure about the actual hours. Much of the time spent was with a beer in hand. I will say that custom fabrication takes much longer thatn most people think. I cut the container sides and top with a diablo circular saw blade. Can get them at Lowes or home cheapo. cuts like a knifew through hot butter. Installing it on the back of the truck took all afternoon. There were a few pucker factor minutes (close calls). I have been working on other things around the house. I hope to get back to fabrication this week. I'll try to keep a better idea of time and cost for you.

Smier

Sweet!!! We have to get together sometime soon, I'm really good at working while holding a beer, and I've been known to laugh when something bad happens... It helps lighten the mood. I can't be more than ten minutes from you, I'd love to come and hang/help out sometime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks