• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38/GPW wannabe!

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
I know its not Reilly a military jeep but it really wants to be! My 1946 cj2a has been setting neglected for about 6 years and Zout has inspired me to get the old girl back in driving order! The frame rail in the LF has a bad case of cancer! over my 2 1/2 days home i stripped her down to the frame and dropped it off at the welders. I do not weld! The wannabe roll bar my dad put on is coming off, it is a light bar from a pickup and wouldn't do much good in a roll over any way! The fiberglass body is in fairly good shape , the paint is peeling and it will get a good sanding and repaint. Few holes in the floor will be fixed, whoever put the holes in for the brake,clutch peddles must have measured once and cut 4 times to get them to fit. It will be completely rewired and all new gages because most of them are missing! the brakes will be redone with new! My plan is to have it at the GA rally this Oct. Engine,trans,transfer are all in good shape. i did buy a electronic distributer for it. and it will get a good cleaning and tune up. Going to make it into a WWII medic jeep since I have most of the stuff to do it already. The old guy down the road from me spent the hole time with me telling me war stories and was a great help with info I did not know. I told him he could be the first to drive it when it gets running again! I think it Reilly made his day! He watches my place while I'm gone and gets my mail for me. I think i have him talked into going to the GA rally with me too. He has no computer so he cant get on. don't have much time before the GA rally but I'm sure i can get it done. this wont get updated vary often because I'm only home every 2 weeks so bear with me!

Attachments

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
no tailgate .
data plate ,military lights and switch ?
are you sure it is a cj2a.
I have both and this is for sure a hybred if not
Glass body has no tailgate. the original body did but it fell apart on the way home with it back in 97. got the glass body for $300 so i put it on.( used) the data plate is for a m38a1 my dad put it on there for the shift pattern. the lights and switch i put in because the originals were missing and i got them free. I used 4 jeeps to get this one back together back in 97. the engine is out of a 53 it's a mismatch of parts but im trying to get it as close as i can with the funds i have to work with.

Last edited:

Capt.Marion

Looks like you got your work cut out for you! I'm jealous--I've always wanted an early CJ or an MB to play with. Remember--it doesn't have to be running to be at the rally (of course, this is coming from a member of the GA bunch that has been notably delinquent at the GA rally). If anything, it'll leave the rally with more stuff fixed!

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
It runs well . it was just ready to break in half due to the frame rot! The welder said he would have it fixed by the time i get home in June. As long as i took it apart some other things are going to get fixed.

Last edited:

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Well after getting home from the hospital sat. Ashley helped me with the jeep. we got the frame back from the welder and i am vary pleased with the work he did. I gave it a once over with the blaster to nock the loose stuff off and it got a coat of POR15 by Ashley while I instaled the new E brake on the back of the transfercase. Yesterday changed all the motor mounts with new ones and instaled the new brake master and lines. I for the life of me cant find the push rod for the master cilinder. I set it somewair now i cant find it! Did a little touch up paint where i wont be able to get to vary good when the motor is in, and this afternoon the motor is going back in. have a bunch of photos i will poast when i get back on the road. I go back to work tomarow. My team is comming in this afternoon and we are having a little cookout at my place. I need a right side front fender for a cj2a if anyone has one! I dont think the fiberglass fender will handle the litter rack even with bracing.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Well the brakes got new shoes, wheel cylinders. I'm waiting on bearings i took the old ones apart and they don't look good! i put it all back together so parts don't get lost while I'm gone! Don't have any picks. it started to rain and i forgot my camera outside and it is toast! I had one of my scouts stop by and he wanted to help so i let him fix the back of the tub where the spair tire broke the fiberglass. he did well for never doing it before. will have to be sanded down next time I'm home. Still waiting on the rear cross member. then the body can go back on!

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Got the dash sanded down and painted, worked on the tub got the passenger side sanded down to get all the old paint off and primed and painted got the back sanded down where had to repair damage from spair tire. Got most of drivers side sanded down and primed ran out of day so i ended it there.

Attachments

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Still a few places I'm not happy with but i ran out of time and just wanted to get some paint on it while i was gone. Going to have to reinforce the tub where the fenders mount it is a weak spot. Got the brakes bled after replacing the brake T that i split while putting it together.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Thanks PB I'm trying. I'm going to get it drivable first because i might not be able to get it all done for the rally but i can tinker with it there too. Photos below are kinda what im going for when it is complete!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks