• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M105 Tow Job

3dAngus

Dang, that doesn't even look like a grade 8 bolt, but I could be mistaken. The slop in it could make it shear right off though. Not smart!

Westech

CPL
looking at the bumper and trailer light hook ups I would say that person is low on the IQ bell curve. I have towed things all across this country and not once have I bashed in my bumper or anything !
Cant fix stupid folks.

Nonotagain

Did you see where the top of the tailgate has hit it? Wayne
I see a dent in the top of the gate but can't say that the ring mounted on the trailer caused it as the truck appears to have lots of "love taps" on it.

One of the security personnel at Ft Meade ordered me to drop the tail gate on my truck. The other security officer with the K-9 dog told him I couldn't lower it. For two minutes they bickered back and forth to leave it alone or lower it.

Finally the K-9 officer that said leave it alone won out when he showed the other officer that the tail gate would hit the trailer jack mounted right behind the trailer lunette.

91W350

I was smoked for time today, his turn is coming.... along with his buddy that had a tandem axle trailer with most of a motor grader stacked on it, no lights, no brakes, bald tires, no safety chains, stacked about 8 feet tall with a single nylon ratchet strap... being towed behind an extended cab F150. Probably on a 12M tag...

flyxpl

lets hope the trailer is going to be left at the scrap yard and that he does not use this setup every day to haul scrap.

Atomic

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

that doesn't even look like a grade 8 bolt, but I could be mistaken
That's just dumb and funny at the same time. :cookoo:

Grade 8 bolts can have a clear or yellow zinc finish. Yellow being more prevalent. You can get grade 2 in yellow zinc.

michigandon

Eghads! :eek: At least use a longer bolt and "double nut" the bottom of it. Or better yet, use a dedicated "farm wagon"type pin with a "bobby pin"clip in the bottom.

Oldfart

Eghads! :eek: At least use a longer bolt and "double nut" the bottom of it. Or better yet, use a dedicated "farm wagon"type pin with a "bobby pin"clip in the bottom.

I was going to say the rig looked like something set up to tow with a farm tractor. Expect to see a slow moving vehicle triangle on the back.

The shear of a hardened bolt is interesting. John Deere uses hardened bolts as shear pins on their small square balers. When they shear it is right now and a clean seperation. In desperation one Sunday afternoon I found I could use a grade 5 bolt which raised the shear point because the bolt wanted to distort rather than shear. This makes a mess of the bolt replacement because the softer bolt is stuck in the hole and has to be driven out with a pin punch. Maybe the owner of the scrap trailer is counting on some bolt flex to keep from shearing the bolt off. ~~ I wonder what the cross sectional area of the bolt is compared to the original lunette?

jollyroger

All I know is that is some farm engineering right there........I know. Cause I'm a farm boy........But if I do that it's not leavin' tha farm. And I did it cause it's an Easter Sunday and I just had to make do...........Funny thing is that will probably hold up and be haulin scrap iron even after the apocalypse happens.

Of course if any of us did that it would have run over a car load of children on their way to Sunday school 2 miles after we left with it and we'd be handcuffed........So maybe this is the charmed life that guy is going to be payin for when he's reincarnated.rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks