• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tubeless One-Piece Rim for M37 / M101A1

0352Marine

First Post. I have learned alot from reading all your posts about the M101A1 that I just picked up from GL a week ago (I have attached pictures - hopefully I did it right. It is a 1968 Case-Master). Everyone seems very willing to help in this forum. This is my first Military Vehicle and I am hoping to find a M37 down the road. For safety and ease of having someone change the tires for me, I would like to go to a Tubeless one piece rim. I have read several posts on getting rims from Stocktom Wheel and an old post from the M37 Forum about some GNK Rims that were for sale (Please let me know if these are still available). Stockton Wheels does not look like I would be able even place an order with them for several months if they get the business going again and hopefully they will and then it sounds like it takes some time to get the rims. I have done endless searches on the internet and the only source I can find for these rims is Stockton or the old GNK source. Anybody have any other sources you have found? Also, where do I get tubes for the rims that are on the trailer now, just in case I have to keep them on there for a while? What types of tires will the tubes work with as I want to put new tires on it? Thank you for any help you may give.

Attachments

deaner450

hello, awsome trailer. i am also looking for some tubeless one peice wheels for my 1953 m37, have you found any information? im thinking about getting a custom set made, and i have also heard about some kind of lug nut adapter but can not find one. thanks

Attachments

nattieleather

Search the sale section there was a fellow selling tubles rims that fit the M101 tailer and would by default fit the M37. Gov. made and nice. You could put 900x16 on there with no problem. I don't know if he has anymore it was a while ago that he had them forsale.

bcowanwheels

I make custom rims for the m37. Problem with the m37 is theres not much room on the backside of the rim and with the big brake drums its almost impossible to keep the tires under the fenders especially the rear. 16.5 x 8" wide rims work good usig the stock rim centers. Cost is about 275.00 per rim. Steel & shipping prices have skyrocketed. Also keep in mind solid steel plate centers in rims "dont" like to balance out. HERES SOME PICTURES, THERE A LITTLE DUSTY FROM STORAGE.
Bob

Attachments

0352Marine

M37 / M101A1 Tubeless Rim Source

Hi "deaner450". I have called the company at this website Welcome to Stazworks extreme offroad web presence! and need to make some measurements and take some pictures and get them over to him to get a firm price. He said $150.00 to $175.00 per wheel. They are in Wisconsin. I am also going to call the Marsh Racing wheels that "still standing still cyco" told us about. I will make a post to let everyone know what I find out and my experience. I thought about the lug nut adapter and it does cost less then a custom rim, but then you still have to find rims to fit the new lug pattern and fit over the drum, which would add up to more then the cost of custom rims and it seems to me that it would create a weak spot in the whole assembly. Also it may have your tires sticking out farther then you want them.

I private messaged "jimbob1111" about the rims that "nattieleather" told us about and he does not have any more.

I keep monitoring the website at Stockton Wheels and calling there number, but they are not back in business yet.

Thank you bcowanwheels for your input, the rims look good and I may take you up on buying some, but I need to try and find something a little cheaper first - Any room on the price? What would shipping to California cost from where you are at?

deaner450

thanks, sounds good, i have a custom shop where i live that might be able to fab something up aswell, im just not sure what to order. they were thinkin about getting some blank steel wheels and drilling them out properly.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Snake River 4X4 makes an adapter to the Gamma Goat wheel, check out thier website. I really want 11.00-16 Michelins to put on my M37. It will give me 38.5" diameter tires, but am having a devil of a time finding a good set. There are millions of 11.00--20's out there for Duece's. Has anyone tried putting an M37 center in a Duece rim?

gunbunny

Sounds a little like the problem I'm encountering.

I recently purchased an M101A1 from a friend of mine to use as a utility trailer. It needs new tires because the tires that are on it have broken chords on both tires, and they are far too tall and don't balance the trailer properly.

My wife's SUV uses 265-75 R16's. I could get a new pair for her car, and put the two most worn tires on these rims.

Do I need innertubes? If so, what size? I do not have much experience with innertubes other than bicycle tires and floating down the river.

I may keep the lunet, and add a pintle to my hitch (borrowed a friend's setup to get the trailer home) or directly to the bumper. I'm still up in the air about it, as I wouldn't mind adding surge brakes to the trailer if I can get the proper brake mechanicals that fit in the backplates. I noticed that there are several holes in the back of the drums that might be there for the piston and such. I didn't get a chance to remove the drums and take a look.

The only other problem I've noticed is that my wiring harness isn't completely compatable with the trailer- the brake lights don't correspond to the brake lights of the tow vehicle.

Attachments

Last edited:

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to use tube type wheels, you will need to run tubes and flaps inside the tires. Talk to your local tire shop. As far as lights, the military are 24 volt. You can change the bulbs to 12 V and use a wiring adapter (you will have to buy one from the classifieds here or Epay) or you can leave the military lights as-is and just use a set of magnet mount or clamp on lights with a plug to your rigs 12v. I made up a set from some old boat trailer lights I had and a standard flat-four plug from NAPA.

gunbunny

The bulbs were swapped with the propper 12V bulbs, (2) 1156 and (2) 97's. I had a similiar problem with another utility trailer, but thought it was the way that the trailer was wired, not my harness. My harness is a simple plug-in three way that hooks up to the existing Jeep wiring harness in the fenderwell.

As for the ride height, If I can get the lunet unstuck and flipped, I might just leave it there. It is rusted fast from years of sitting out in the weather. I'll try to attack it with a wire brush, PB blaster, and a torch.

The picture is kind of misleading, as it is parked on a slight hill and just flipping the lunet won't be enough. I have about 5" of height difference when the trailer is level. I have 31" tires on the Jeep, and a set of them on the M101A1 would be really nice.

I was just looking at replacing the entire axle assembly with a commertial one rated for 3500 lbs, and with shipping will cost me about $325. That might be the best solution for me.

hurtlec

0352MARINE, IMHO STAY AWAY FROM STOCKTON WHEELS. I have a set that STOCKTON made from my old M37 RIMS and after $1400.00, I'm not all impressed. They don't fit well and don't look very safe, they created a new rim totally, even though I told them to use the stock rim centers. Problem with the M37, there is not much room on the backside of the rim and with the big brake drums its almost impossible to keep the tires under the fenders especially the rear.

deano, like your rims, could you take my old rims and place the stock rims centers on them? currently running 37x12.0x16.5? let me know the c:lost:ost of the centers and the labor...thanks

0352Marine

Tubeless Wheel Option for M37's and M101A1's

hurtlec (I will take your advice on Stockton Wheel) and all those looking for an alternative tubeless wheel option for your M37's and M101A1's (5 x 6 7/8 inch Lug pattern). Stazworks in Merrillan, Wisconsin will recenter a HUMVEE Wheel (Wheel size is 16.5 x 8.25) and it is a two piece with 12 or 8 bolts to hold the two pieces together. John at Stazworks [Email: johns351c@centurytel.net & Phone: 715-333-RIMS (7467)] said that the backspacing would be best if it was 6" to 7", but he may be able to do some backspacing that is close to this range. He said he will sandblast and powder coat (He said he has the Desert Tan and may be able to get other colors) the rim, put a new o-ring in it, and replace any studs or nuts that need it all for $190.00 Each (Plus Shipping). The pricing is for only two wheels as that is all I need, but he might have better pricing for 4 rims or other options to choose from. This may not be the look that some want, but it should look pretty tough with the combat rim look and will make it easier to change the tire yourself. There are a lot of pictures on the E-Bay of these types of wheels (See attached picture), but I am not axactly sure how these Stazworks wheels will look. I will probably be buying these and I will post pictures.

Attachments

dre8982559

I'm working on my M37 again and am planning to use H1 wheels. Here's my sheet metal prototype center. Plan to use 3/8" centers on the back half and cut out the fronts. It's nice to have a buddy with a water jet! Backspacing will be 6-3/4 approximately. wheel front.jpgWheel back.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks