Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brake fluid -how to tell which kind you have DOT 3 or DOT 5

Thanks

Default Brake fluid -how to tell which kind you have DOT 3 or DOT 5

The important part first, the story is after.

DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 can be mixed if necessary, according to the instructions on the cans. The temperature range is higher as it progresses from DOT 3 to 4 to 5.1

DOT 5 and DOT 5.1 are not the same.

DOT 5 is a silicone based fluid, and DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are glycol? based.

don't guess.... this is how to check:-

Essentially, there are two types. The first one is regular auto brake fluid. The second type is Silicone-based brake fluid.

You can not mix the two types of fluid (well, you can, but you will end up with a jelly-like mess).

You need to find out which you have already in the system. Here's how:-

1. Get a dropper (an eye or ear-dropper) and withdraw some fluid from the master cylinder.
    2. Put it into a glass jar and then add some clean water to the fluid.
    3. Now put the lid on the jar and shake it well.
    4. Let it stand for a few minutes.
    5. If the water and the fluid have mixed thoroughly and can not be separately identified, then you have regular auto brake fluid.
    6. However, if the water and the fluid have not mixed, or have formed blobs or layers, then the fluid is Silicone.

That's all there is to it. Lots of people think that you can recognise which is which by looking at the colour of the fluid, or by its odor. Don't risk it. Use the test outlined above. It's already been said that DOT 5 is not always purple, or that it can change color after time to a yellow that looks like DOT 3.

=====
    Being faced with this today, I dug the above info up from the mil veh list. It's worth posting here since a mistake can be costly and dangerous. My DOT 5 had indeed turned yellow, or maybe it was the original military fluid, which has been reported to be light-colored.

The M35's brake pedal had been requiring much more travel before engaging the brakes. Not finding any leaks but having put alot of miles on the truck, I checked the master cylinder and found it nearly empty! This was a disaster waiting to happen. The brakes had apparently worked just fine until the master was almost completely out of fluid and then there was little warning before the brake pedal gained about 3" extra travel.. The truck still stopped OK when hot but it didn't 'feel' right. When cold, the brakes had become very mushy. What was going on is that the fluid level had gotten low enough to where air was entering the master cylinder itself, creating the mushy feel. Inspection revealed that the resivoir was about dry. As I poured the new fluid in, I could hear air bubbling up from places air should not have been. It took almost the entire 12oz can. There was some concern that after refilling the master cylinder resivoir that the system would have to be bled. I was fortunate in that after gently and slowly working the pedal a number of times, the air trapped in the cylinder bubbled up and I have a nice hard pedal again. It may still need to be bled on general principles, first needs a road test.

The moral of the story I suppose is to check the fluid periodically, no matter what a pain in the butt it is, even if there seems to be nothing wrong. Several times I almost cursed the guy that decided to put the master cylinder right under a cab frame mount.

The vent line came off with a 3/8" line wrench and the resivoir cap came off with a 11/16 wrench. The resivoir cap 'nut' was square so an open end wrench fit best.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to OPCOM For This Useful Post:

1 Patriot-of-many (10-10-2011), 1943ht (06-12-2012), ageregunner (03-01-2018), Cleveland Iron (01-03-2013), dave70454ss (03-27-2016), EMISSARYx (07-27-2011), joshuak (12-15-2015), microjeep (05-03-2019), n8roro (03-26-2019), Nitrodiver (03-20-2019), njfarmer (07-04-2018), roger-wilco-66 (12-09-2009), sgn (08-03-2019), tankdriver (03-05-2015), Thraxen (04-17-2014), Torisco (09-12-2011), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (11-26-2014), Valence (04-21-2015), Zero_cool (09-30-2011)

Thanks

Default RE: Brake fluid -how to tell which kind you have DOT 3 or DO

You can spare yourself a lot of agony by removing the vent cap and adding a barbed fitting and line up to the fire wall which will allow for a remote tank to be mounted making fluid checks much easier. There are some motorcycle reservoirs which are suited to the job, though small your just looking for a fill and level point to check as you already have the masters reservoir to hold the required amount of fluid. Many autos with remote power steering reservoirs are well suited to the task too.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devilman96 For This Useful Post:

1943ht (06-12-2012), Cleveland Iron (01-03-2013), sgn (08-03-2019)

Rock = older than dirt
    GA. MAFIA
    Dirty deeds done dirt cheap
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,383 Times in 2,872 Posts

wow, what a great idea, thanks, its funny how simple little things like this can make life so much easier yet goes unthought of for so long, thanks again for such a neet idea.
    Ron, AKA , FTF (FIVE TON FIXER), AKA KGR (kinder/gentler Ron)
    Gainesville, Ga.
    vietnam-1/66-8/68
    "Technical Manuals are the path to Illumination...
    Download, Study Learn"---rlwm211
    POOR PLANNING or NOT READING TM on your part does NOT constitute a EMERGENCY on our part.
    RECOVERIES (to a point) WHERE EVER, 703-389-6705, 73m819@gmail.com
    73m819, tractor/wrecker AKA NO LONGER Wrecked Wrecker
    What ever else that can be drug home
    Neutered 6X6s (bobbers) = 10t wheel chocks
    Use CUCVs, a small step below BOBBERS as 5t wheel chocks
    GOD help the MV or LEGO world if I win the LOTTERY
    Long live BIG GREEN IRON

Thanks

I always check by getting a tiny bit on a finger and touching it to the tongue...3&4 are bitter, 5 is like olive oil. Rinse. Repeat if necessary. Chase with favorite beverage!

dg
    Always checking conditions on the road to perdition...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to G744 For This Useful Post:

NormB (01-28-2017)

Senior Chief/Moderator hndrsonj's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,093 Posts

so what would have to be changed to go from DOT 5 to DOT 3? I am guessing all rubberized components-wheel cyls, master cyl-ect?? As for this remote resevoir, anyone have any pics? If it's a remote resevoir, why couldn't a low light be hooked up?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,281 Times in 4,613 Posts

Do a complete and thorough flush. Empty the master cylinder with a baster if you can before you start. It needs to be a very thorough flush as you don't want both fluids in there. Any specific reason you're changing?
    1986 M1008
    1984 M1031
    1984 M1010

Where the 23 Fwy. T-Bones the 101 Fwy in So Cal
    Thanks

Here is a great item that Kenny put together for one man brake bleeding.
    http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.p...on+brake+fluid
    Gary

The Left Coast of California
    Where Hwy 23 T-Bones US Hwy 101

1973 AM General M35A2 Hard top w/ Cargo Canopy (Sold)

MVPA member #28663
    www.leftcoastdesign.com

See my Ebay Online Store for all your replacement decal needs.

In life, you only need 2 tools - WD-40 and Duct Tape.

If it doesn't move but should, use the WD-40.

If it should not move and does, use the duct tape.

Thanks

Default Dot brake fluid

If you change from DOT 3, 4 or better to DOT 5 silicone based brake fluid, you have, to avoid desasters, wash your brake system with concentrated alcohol. This means you have to take out all brake parts, strip to the last nut and bolt, wash in alkohol (including all tubes and hoses), regrease with brake grease blue, for ex. ATE, reasemble and reinstall. If you do it not this way, several rubber parts will fail. Then your brake fails.
    Wolf

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf.Dose For This Useful Post:

sgn (08-03-2019)

4 Star General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.Dose View Post
    If you change from DOT 3, 4 or better to DOT 5 silicone based brake fluid, you have, to avoid desasters, wash your brake system with concentrated alcohol. This means you have to take out all brake parts, strip to the last nut and bolt, wash in alkohol (including all tubes and hoses), regrease with brake grease blue, for ex. ATE, reasemble and reinstall. If you do it not this way, several rubber parts will fail. Then your brake fails.
    Wolf
    With our vehicles being DOT5 from the military, any changes go the other way around.
    my photo album
    1969 M35a2c with M34 rims and 1100 singles
    1985 M1008 CUCV w/Banks Turbo
    6" superlift springs
    crossover steering
    rear disc brake conversion
    38.5" ground hawgs on hmmwv rims

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. Starting now.

Thanks

Default Brake fluid

Cleaning the brake system is recomaned for the other way around also. Do you know how long the fluid was in the vehicle. Was it installed properly? Was the old rig while beeing changed to silicone treated propperly. You do not know. I any Army / public service of this world there are somewere sometimes working idiots who ignore the roules. You and I do not want to suffer from them. So clean your system as I do it!
    Wolf

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast