• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Plow Question

ryan77

I think you will have to get a used one for bolt on or weld one on i dont think they still sell a kit for these old trucks? But you will have plenty of power for a plow!!

willey10

I used my front battery for the main 12 volt power to my unit ,I have been plowing for 2 winters and no problems. The headlights use a relay on each side for the plowlights and 12 volt power from the fuse panel to power the controller. my plow is a Myers

Attachments

Jersey4x4

Meyer makes a 24v pump in the E60 and E47 and also 24v controls. What I did was use a standard E-60 pump but installed the 24v motor so I can just plug it in to the slave plug(Had to add a relay) and then just wired the rest into the 12v side of the fuse block under the dash. The same with the lights which are 12v, I use the night sabre II lights and relays. But you must remember there is 12 and 24 in the fuse block so use a meter not just a test light. If you decide to go with the Meyer setup I have an extra Chevy mounting frame that fits perfect and is the EZ Mount classic style for sale or trade. If you need any help just let me know, I just did an install so it is fresh in my mind.

sporanox

Plow Wiring

I might have one on craigslist, but not sure how to wire or if I need a relay( is there a kit) and where to pull the electrical power from.

Jersey4x4

every plow is different so wiring and kit info will change. I have the exact setup that willey10 has except I use the E-60 pump and don't use the MDII Lift arm but basically the same and I push a CP-8 blade with it and it works fine. You will need a relay on the slave plug if you go that route because you will need a way to control the power to the pump motor or it will just run all the time. If you are talking Meyer than I can send you a wire diagram to show where to connect everything so you dont burn up the truck or the plow pump. I will say the Meyer has been a great design until they went with that wireless setup and quick attach nightmare that they have now. I guess a design that had been used since the 1940s was bad so they had to change it to be like all the other junk out there.

I might have one on craigslist, but not sure how to wire or if I need a relay( is there a kit) and where to pull the electrical power from.

homegrown

I just put a western uni-mount pro plow on my m1008 last month. I liked the uni-mount because the headlights and pump head can be taken off the truck in about 5 minutes when not in use. You can download wiring manuals from almost any plow maker online. The hardest thing about installing my plow set-up was removing and re-installing the front bumper. For my western set-up I only had to drill 2 holes, everything else was bolt on. I used the front battery for my pump power and a 12volt slot in my fuse box that turned on with my ignition for the controller power. All said and done it was very easy to do. I can snap some pics if you need me to.

svlsmokey

I just put a western uni-mount pro plow on my m1008 last month. I liked the uni-mount because the headlights and pump head can be taken off the truck in about 5 minutes when not in use. You can download wiring manuals from almost any plow maker online. The hardest thing about installing my plow set-up was removing and re-installing the front bumper. For my western set-up I only had to drill 2 holes, everything else was bolt on. I used the front battery for my pump power and a 12volt slot in my fuse box that turned on with my ignition for the controller power. All said and done it was very easy to do. I can snap some pics if you need me to.
I'd like to see your set up - how about those pics?

Sasquatch

I have an old Boss V-plow on mine, it was installed by the National Guard with a custom welded mount. I put a new motor in last winter and ran new cables from the front battery, not sure where the headlight wires ran since they were already installed.

jsutherland

You still have pics?

I know its been a while since this tread came out but I am new to the game. Just got a M1008 and wanting to put a plow on it. Looking pretty hard at a western plow and was wondering how to wire it as well. Anything you got would be a help. Thanks.

jsutherland

Thanks Marcus. Pretty excited to get this M1008 up and moving. Lots of things to learn. Needless to say this site has been a blessing when it comes to figuring stuff out.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello JSutherland! I too want a plow for my M1008. I am following this thread to see what develops. I have no idea which plow model I need to locate or where I might find one, but I think it would be AWESOME to have a plow and perhaps earn some snow money to pay for my hobbies...

snowtrac nome

I've installed a few plows on them, just get a plow of your choice for a square body chevy. I've mounted boss, meyer, and western plows on them, and got my control power from the 12 volt battery. getting the headgear and mount for the older trucks may be a challenge if wanting to buy new you might look on craigs list. I've done plowing for a lot of years I never seemed to make any money at it I just poured it back into the truck to keep it reliable. at the end of the day I did have a reliable truck but had I not plowed it may have been just as reliable. I still plow now days but just out of town driveways and I use a snow cat or dozer that way when I slide off the road I'm not getting stuck.

jsutherland

Thanks. Yeah I'm going with a Western Pro Plow. It's definitely not cheap. But with the time of year I couldn't hunt around on a craigslist for a used mount and plow. The gentleman at the shop says a mount for a K30/K35 will work. He told me to take off the grill guard and the shackle mounts from the front frame for clearance. Looking forward to it. Should be a monster plow truck.

rmesgt- I did find another M1008 in town that has a Hiniker plow on it as well. Pricing out all of the plow brands (Boss, Western, Meyer, Fisher, Hiniker, Snowdog) they are all pretty close to the same pricing for all the pieces. I went with Western because I've heard they are one of the better manufacturers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks