• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003A Starter Lockout Switch...

Polycop

The starter lockout switch in my 003A hasn't ever worked right, resulting in the starter griding against the flywheel when starting. To work around it, I've gotten pretty good at releasing the switch at 'just the right time' to keep it from grinding. I've read the TM and adjusted the points about 2810 different times, none of which fixed anything. If I set the points to .040" when it was running it wouldn't start (as suggested via the TM). To get the thing to start, I had to adjust the points closed, but they wouldn't open up when the machine was running.

Today I had some time on my hands and I decided to tear into it a little further. I pulled the switch and housing off via a thin open ended wrench (I initially thought I was going to have to remove the oil filter). Once it was off, the cam and flywheel seemed to be working as they should. The plunger in the cover also seemed to be working right. Hummm, I buttoned it back up with some blue RTV when it hit me.

I adjusted the points all the way in (leaving about a 1/8" gap) and then took a small set of pliers and bent the contact spring so that points were closed (but moving the spring closer to the plunger). I fired it up and low and behold I had a gap as now the cam / plunger were working. Basically, the spring was out of the operating range of the cam / plunger and by bending it back it fixed it.

Who knows how long it's been that way, a loooong time is my guess. All I know is it's working as designed and I thought I'd share in case anyone else has the same problem.

Poly

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice fix. That's been a problem for several members on the board. Someone a while back did almost the exact thing you just posted. Basically, the spring arms are thin and flimsy to say the least. Improper adjustment before you got the set must have bent the springs away. Setting the gap would never solve anything because the plunger couldn't move the contact [thumbzup]

bookpile

Can anyone think of a reason the starter lockout switch wouldn't be working when the unit is hot? The switch works fine to start it but if it's been running for 30 minutes or so it won't allow it to restart. If you unplug the switch you can then start it up but you don't have the cutout protection. I've tried adjusting the switch the contacts but it didn't do any good.

Thanks

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure you're unplugging the starter lockout switch. If you just unplug it, you'll NEVER be able to start the gen, hot or cold. It is a normally closed switch that opens at engine speed via a flywheel affect, so just unplugging it from the circuit will disable the crank relay entirely.

bookpile

Good point, you're right. I unplug it and then jumper two of the pins to make it start when the engine is hot.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it may just need cleaned/degreased really well and adjusted properly. If it works cold and not hot, I would lean toward it being a grime related issue or an adjustment problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks