• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow Bar Connection to M37

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, There have been several threads about towing an M37 using the std. towbar. My question is regarding the connection of the 3/4" adapters to the shackle points on the M37.

The adapter is 1/2" wider than the shackle point. Have ya'll just been letting the adapter move around or do you shim the adapter to fit the shackle point?

This is not an immediate need, but you never know. I have the option to trailer but if it is an off-road recovery the tow bar is my only option.

Looking for your input.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would shim it.

Towed the Jeep once with the medium, didn't like the idea of the feet moving around.

ODdave

Moving around can cause unnessisary and undesierable stress to the pin. I would shim it just to reduce wear on both your pins and the shackle mounts. Lil safer as well. 2cents

Jimma

The shim idea is best. You could really put some twist / torque on those things and the movement could break something.

Bivouac

I am seeking a source for a tow bar to move an M37 about 10 miles. Thinking of a military medium grade model.....
‘located near Smithfield, VA.
Any thoughts on sources?
Many tanks, B

CGarbee

You know, I have never measured the gap between the feet of my medium towbars and the shackle points on my M37s (or those owned by others...)...
I also have never used a shim when flat towing any of them...cross town, from NC to Indiana (Haspin), MD (Aberdeen), from Atlanta to Raleigh...etc.

Of course, now that it has come up, I have to admit that the Engineer in me says that you should shim them...
From a practical standpoint, I don't think that it would matter for a move across town or so...

Biggest issue I have ever had was "forgetting" that I had one on the towbar behind a XM813 on a trip once...didn't scratch anything, but I did get some folks excited... :)

AMGeneral

You know, I have never measured the gap between the feet of my medium towbars and the shackle points on my M37s (or those owned by others...)...
I also have never used a shim when flat towing any of them...cross town, from NC to Indiana (Haspin), MD (Aberdeen), from Atlanta to Raleigh...etc.

Of course, now that it has come up, I have to admit that the Engineer in me says that you should shim them...
From a practical standpoint, I don't think that it would matter for a move across town or so...

Biggest issue I have ever had was "forgetting" that I had one on the towbar behind a XM813 on a trip once...didn't scratch anything, but I did get some folks excited... :)

I remember that trip, and still have a mental image of the M37 behind the 813, (think knot on the end of a whip):shock:

That plus seeing that same M37 almost sending an M35A2 "wheels up" making a turn, Convoy memories.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks