• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help needed at Nellis AFB

BadMastard

Hey Noaccount,

I just got mine too, so I'm heading out there for a Thursday 10am pickup. If I had a tow bar, I'd volunteer to drag yours someplace. I could meet a tow truck out there if you arrange it, and see that it gets off the lot and into storage? PM me if there is something I can do to help.

Jerry

islasaero

It takes about 3 months from the time You submitt the paperwork , so don't worry about it. When I picked up my truck at Barstow, I drove for 140 miles to my home. They don't let you drain fluids at the bases, so, you will have to take it out first. You can check for fluids like the oil level, water, and amount of fuel you have. Always check tire pressure cause they may feel hard, but can be really low on air. Oh, turning is a pain! so practise on a truck near you! Other than that, its fun!!!

BadMastard

Hey Islasaero, I think he means his is already cleared. but the rest of your advice is good. He's got a LONG haul though, and needs to pick it up in a month or two because of work conflicts.

noaccount

It takes about 3 months from the time You submitt the paperwork , so don't worry about it. When I picked up my truck at Barstow, I drove for 140 miles to my home. They don't let you drain fluids at the bases, so, you will have to take it out first. You can check for fluids like the oil level, water, and amount of fuel you have. Always check tire pressure cause they may feel hard, but can be really low on air. Oh, turning is a pain! so practise on a truck near you! Other than that, its fun!!!
EUC cleared in 12 days, I have a theory about why it came back so quickly even being my first, but its speculation.

Badmastard is correct though, work has me locked down for the next 6 weeks, and I just got the paid in full invoice email 5 minutes before my last post. So now I am in panic mode.

BadMastard

lol.. DON'T PANIC! Don't forget your towel though.

You have two weeks (10 business days), and if you call the site, they CAN extend that, if they feel like it. In any event, we have some resources there that have volunteered help.

Check out the post from airbornebandsman, he's on base. You already know about me, and you can always use a third party transport to help get it picked up.

noaccount

Perhaps 'panic' is a bit of a strong word. I am trying to get ahold of airbornebandsman. I have a ton of options really. I the tow to RV storage is nice, I can always get it shipped (already have a decent quote). Its just a matter of getting all my options lined up and picking the one that works best.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Airbournebandsman is a Recruiter and lives on base. He's office is south of the base and sometimes is slow on responding due to his schedule during the day.

He is a great guy to work with as he has helped me before. [thumbzup]

466Navastar

I actually have a 1ton pickup that we use to pull a three car trailer (it routinely pulls more than the deuce plus the weight of the trailer), but I have to figure out a tow bar that would work since the 1ton only has a 5th wheel hitch. Again though the RV storage yard is a great idea, would give me allot more time to get this done.[/QUOTE]

pulling a deuce with a towbar/ one ton truck is a bad idea ....no brakes on the towed 13000# load...not legal and unsafe

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Noaccount,

I just got mine too, so I'm heading out there for a Thursday 10am pickup. If I had a tow bar, I'd volunteer to drag yours someplace. I could meet a tow truck out there if you arrange it, and see that it gets off the lot and into storage? PM me if there is something I can do to help.

Jerry
Jerry,

Does that truck run? If so, I can store it at my house not far from there...but it needs to run so we can back it into my side yard, and out again (there is a slight 6-foot jog we need to turn around, so it's a little hard to have to winch it in & out of there).

I have a truck & trailer that should be able to transport it from Nellis to my yard, BUT..... I work on Nellis' pickup days (Tues, Wed, Thurs). I might be able to take a little time off work in a week or two to load & transport the truck, but it would be much easier if it were running & driveable.

While you're there Thursday, can you take a look at it & let us know the results please? Chris who works for DLA there is pretty easy going, hopefully he shouldn't have a problem with you looking at it.

Otherwise feel free to PM me so we can see if we can work something out for a fellow member.

I'll be going there in several weeks to pick up the 5 M105A2 trailers I won for minimum bid on each....so with 5 trailers hogging up my yard, it would be much easier for storage if that Deuce is driveable.

BadMastard

Hey Silverstate,

Rumor has it that it runs, so that's a plus. I've got the basics down to get it to running if it's close or serviceable, and will gladly do that, including fluids check, PM, etc. Now, you said something interesting. You can pick up from Nellis on Wednesday? I called, and was told Tues/Thursday. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference to me this time, but nice to know.

Ok with you noaccount?

noaccount

I am pretty open to about anything at this point, I hate for you guys to have to do all the work, but if your willing I would be more than happy to do what I can to help and compensate you for your efforts.

I will review some of these posts and send some IM's.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BadMastard, I may see you there!

I will be at Nellis on Thursday, also pickup a Deuce with my Deuce. Going to tow it back to AZ, well that is the plan anyway.[thumbzup]

noaccount, Nice looking truck! If I can help let me know.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry fellas, I guess I jumped the gun a bit in my haste to PM (RE: possible pickup this Thursday).

I'm PM-ing NoAccount to give my address & contact info, as well as arrange for pickup & transport.

I might need a favor from a fellow member someday, so this is a good opportunity to step up and build some favorable brownie credits. :p

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Silverstate,

You can pick up from Nellis on Wednesday? I called, and was told Tues/Thursday. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference to me this time, but nice to know.
OOH, you're right....Tues/Thurs only, between 0800-1430! Oops...

When I called to pick up my M101A1 a couple of months ago, because of holidays & vacations, they adjusted their pickup schedules to Mondays/Wednesdays.

But you are correct, thank you for pointing that out!

[thumbzup]

BadMastard

Well, in this case I hate being right. Would be nice to have another day in there!

M35a2-AZ- I've got a 10am pickup time, it would be great to see you there. I'll have a metallic green jeep there getting my rig, if you see it there, I'm either on my rig, or working one or two other steel soldiers trucks over to help them out.

resqur

Noaccount,
I live in Vegas and can give you a hand if needed. I will be leaving for St Anthony sand dunes on Thursday and I will be back in town on the 29th. I have a line on a place to store it (my neighbor has empty RV parking) but it may cost you in beer moneyrofl
I'm rather new to all this as well but no better way to learn then to pour through a few TM's and get it running.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, in this case I hate being right. Would be nice to have another day in there!

M35a2-AZ- I've got a 10am pickup time, it would be great to see you there. I'll have a metallic green jeep there getting my rig, if you see it there, I'm either on my rig, or working one or two other steel soldiers trucks over to help them out.
BadMastard, I will look for you, but my pickup time in 1:00 so you maybe gone by then. Good luck with your pickup!!!:driver:

I will be in a Deuce.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noaccount,
I live in Vegas and can give you a hand if needed. I will be leaving for St Anthony sand dunes on Thursday and I will be back in town on the 29th. I have a line on a place to store it (my neighbor has empty RV parking) but it may cost you in beer moneyrofl
I'm rather new to all this as well but no better way to learn then to pour through a few TM's and get it running.
How very kind! Do you happen to have a towbar, so you can tow his Deuce with yours?

91W350

91W350 I might have to take you up on the offer of looking at your deuce I will be passing through Salina on the way anyway.
I think right now I am planning to just load up the truck with a generator, air compressor, a bunch of tools and fluids and a friend or two.

Any buddy have any ideas on a tow setup to pull the truck back if I have to?
When you come through, I have a medium tow bar and the correct pins and feet. I also can send along fuel filters and the compressor wrenches. I would go with if you scheduled with me. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks