• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help needed at Nellis AFB

noaccount

Alright, a quick update.
Madmastard is going to do a quick inspection for me Thursday (Silverstate may be able to be present too). After we/I know a more accurate condition of the truck we can make better plans.
Silverstate has offered to transport and store the truck if its able to move under its own power.

If all else fails a tow to an RV storage lot is always an option I am taking quite seriously.

91W350

A lot of water, open windows and hit the road! We have been in the triple digits several times already. I think I would rather have the easy start at 100 than the fuel issues at -20. It was -20 the night before we started mine for the first time. It had warmed all the way up to 6 above when she started rolling smoke and blowing ice chunks out the stack. It was sweet music....

Alright, a quick update.
Madmastard is going to do a quick inspection for me Thursday (Silverstate may be able to be present too). After we/I know a more accurate condition of the truck we can make better plans.
Silverstate has offered to transport and store the truck if its able to move under its own power.

If all else fails a tow to an RV storage lot is always an option I am taking quite seriously.
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. If the truck will not run and they can have it dragged off the lot I can tow it later in the day. I should also be available in the afternoon (1200-1400), we have a Change of Command rehearsal in the morning and it has completely jacked up my already jacked up schedule.
I will help where I can.

Last edited:

noaccount

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. If the truck will not run and they can have it dragged off the lot I can tow it later in the day. I might also be available in the afternoon (1200-1400), we have a Change of Command rehearsal and it has completely jacked up my already jacked up schedule.
I will help where I can.
Hey, don't sweat it, I meant to send you an IM earlier that we had things sorted, I will let you know if it needs a tow, I think at this point if its not mobile I will likely have it taken to an RV storage lot, I have found a few fairly close that should be able to store it, and then deal with it as I can.

Trust me, I understand jacked up schedules, I really appreciate your offer of assistance, but I think things are under control at this point, and i still haven't had to move into plans b through d yet. [thumbzup]

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
noaccount, glad you got it setup. If I have time I will have a look see also.
But getting there at 1:00 and they close at 2:30 I'm going to be pushed for time.

BadMastard,
Yes it is going to be hot!!! But it's a dry heat....[thumbzup]

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only concern I have with RV storage lots in this town is the frequency with which rigs get broken into while stored in them. I've had a couple of friends & co-workers have their toy haulers broken into & small trailers with ATVs loaded on them get stolen from these places. Especially the ones around Nellis, that area is Tweeker Heaven.

The only concern I have with RV storage lots in this town is the frequency with which rigs get broken into while stored in them. I've had a couple of friends & co-workers have their toy haulers broken into & small trailers with ATVs loaded on them get stolen from these places. Especially the ones around Nellis, that area is Tweeker Heaven.

I have an RV space on Nellis (just has my M105 in it now), and have had no problems. I keep my M35 at my house on base as well.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SWEET!!! Do you need a hand moving it?

Sounds better than storing it in my side yard...

noaccount

Just looked at the weather out there Current; 94, 10-20mph winds, with a high of 102. Heat index: 90.... I don't think I have ever seen a negative heat index out here lol.

Hope things are going well guys, can't wait for the report to come back. :jumpin:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perfect timing!!!

Just returned from inspecting the Deuce, with the assistance from BadMastard.

I must say, first and foremost, Steel Soldiers has NO FINER of an ambassador than BadMastard. Very enthusiastic and helpful, he is also a fine salesman as well by trying to sell my boss & co-worker (who accompanied me) into buying a Deuce or two....my boss was impressed with the M101A3 trailers, though, so you never know.... ;-) THANK YOU so much for your helpfulness and generosity!!

Anyway, BadMastard was generous enough to go over your Deuce for you, and I must say, I am impressed! NoAccount, you have a nice truck here. The front tires just need a little bit of air in them to run, the oil level looks good, the batteries are discharged just enough to prevent a start but still have life in them (and the fluid levels are good inside of both), you have the newer plastic battery tray, there are NO signs of leaks from the motor area, the radiator was still pressurized when the cap was removed but the coolant level was low enough to not be seen (just needs to be topped off), and overall it looks like it won't take much to get her running. The fuel level is almost empty, so 5-10 gallons of diesel will be needed to get her started & running good.

The batteries just didn't have enough to turn the starter over more than once or twice, otherwise we'd have fired her up for you. But I don't think that it would take more than a jump start & a little coolant and diesel to get her running. For a newbie, NoAccount, you could have done a lot worse...you've got a very nice truck here. We'll make sure she's stored safe until you can come pick her up.

[thumbzup]

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just looked at the weather out there Current; 94, 10-20mph winds, with a high of 102. Heat index: 90.... I don't think I have ever seen a negative heat index out here lol.
That tells you just how dry it is out here! No kidding, you can almost watch tire sidewalls crack in front of you....tires typically last only 5-6 years here, and unless you drive A LOT, most tires get replaced here by age, NOT mileage.

I have a Deuce with a dump bed on it, and it needs some major work...everything rubber or non-metallic has dry-rotted, as it wasn't running when I got it, and now when I touch any hose or line on it, the rubber just crumbles into dust. Same with my G7117. Oh well, it beats living in the humidity...few bugs, no fleas, next to no ticks! :grin:

noaccount

Perfect timing!!!

Just returned from inspecting the Deuce, with the assistance from BadMastard.

I must say, first and foremost, Steel Soldiers has NO FINER of an ambassador than BadMastard. Very enthusiastic and helpful, he is also a fine salesman as well by trying to sell my boss & co-worker (who accompanied me) into buying a Deuce or two....my boss was impressed with the M101A3 trailers, though, so you never know.... ;-) THANK YOU so much for your helpfulness and generosity!!

Anyway, BadMastard was generous enough to go over your Deuce for you, and I must say, I am impressed! NoAccount, you have a nice truck here. The front tires just need a little bit of air in them to run, the oil level looks good, the batteries are discharged just enough to prevent a start but still have life in them (and the fluid levels are good inside of both), you have the newer plastic battery tray, there are NO signs of leaks from the motor area, the radiator was still pressurized when the cap was removed but the coolant level was low enough to not be seen (just needs to be topped off), and overall it looks like it won't take much to get her running. The fuel level is almost empty, so 5-10 gallons of diesel will be needed to get her started & running good.

The batteries just didn't have enough to turn the starter over more than once or twice, otherwise we'd have fired her up for you. But I don't think that it would take more than a jump start & a little coolant and diesel to get her running. For a newbie, NoAccount, you could have done a lot worse...you've got a very nice truck here. We'll make sure she's stored safe until you can come pick her up.

[thumbzup]
Alright, PM on the way. HUGE thank you for you and badmastard, I can't tell you how much I appreciate both of your help with this, this entire thread is a testament to this community and, that there is still good people left in the world.

That tells you just how dry it is out here! No kidding, you can almost watch tire sidewalls crack in front of you....tires typically last only 5-6 years here, and unless you drive A LOT, most tires get replaced here by age, NOT mileage.

I have a Deuce with a dump bed on it, and it needs some major work...everything rubber or non-metallic has dry-rotted, as it wasn't running when I got it, and now when I touch any hose or line on it, the rubber just crumbles into dust. Same with my G7117. Oh well, it beats living in the humidity...few bugs, no fleas, next to no ticks! :grin:
Hmmm, i would take that trade, dry rot for a reduction in insects...

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SUCCESS! This Deuce is now parked at Airbornebandsman's house, nice and safe! Many thanks to BadMastard & Airbornebandsman, fellows like these 2 make Steel Soldiers a group to be proud of!! Thanks fellas!!

Airbornebandsman used his Deuce and slave cable to jump-start it; it fired right up without even a puff of smoke. Runs like a sewing machine! You sure got a nice Deuce in this one, you have a lot to be happy about!

If storage ever becomes an issue for your Deuce, I'd be happy to keep it at my house, no charge, until you can come out to pick it up...you already have my home address & contact info.

Enjoy!

noaccount

Out of curiosity did they let you drive it off the GL lot with out a tag? I would love to hear a run down on it driving, starting and running it great, but the brakes and transmission are always of concern. I am so happy right now that I could scream like a little girl actually.
PM to Badmastard and Airborne next.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you that the brakes are in EXCELLENT condition and it shifts smoothly. :grin:

As I was driving into the DLA lot to meet Mik there to retrieve your Deuce, someone came out driving an M818, wearing a huge smile, and followed by a one-ton pickup pulling an empty gooseneck trailer...is that anyone here???

You've got a great running Deuce!

Your easiest method to bring it back to Missouri might be to borrow or rent an equipment trailer and load the Deuce on to it for transport back to your home state...that's what I'd recommend anyway. Even though it looks & runs great now, you never know what could happen far from home & away from the nearest help.....that's the way my luck runs!

ETA: Some negatives that Jerry & I noticed are that the heater flex hose is missing & the electrical lead for the heater is disconnected, and the bottom of the exhaust (behind the right front tire) is all rusted out. The wood in the bed needs replacing, but the bows & tarp are piled into the bed so I didn't get a chance to inspect them.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks