• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric fuel pump plumbing question

Cav Trooper

I have been reading on the various M37 forums and it seems to be a concensus that the electric fuel pump should be located near the gas tank. Well, I have a problem, the PO mounted the electric fuel pump and in line fuel filter on the right inner fender, right across from the exhaust manifold. He had did not even leave the mechanical pump mounted on the block so, I found one as a dummy with a broken cam lever just to fill the hole and look more original. I also noticed when looking at some of the M37's at Findlay that there is supposed to be a fuel shutoff valve before the fuel pump and I have none. The fuel lines are new and armor guarded but, the hard fuel line appears to extend further into the engine compartment than the ones I've seen with the valve installed. I guess I could try to cut the line and re-flare it and add the valve and correct rubber fuel line but I don't want to use the mechanical pump and thought I could modify it so that a brass nipple passes though it and attach the lines so that it looks like it's plumbed in. Next task is to cut the line out of the tank and mount the electric pump on the frame I assume, along with the in line filter. Another PIA project but, from what I've learned, it needs to be done to help prevent electric pump failure. Am I right or just being too cautious?

AN/GRC-46

Electric fuel pumps PUSH fuel through the lines; mechanical ones PULL the fuel through. There is no particular problem mounting the electric pump in the engine compartment - as long as there is fuel in the line between the tank and pump. If, for some reason the fuel in the line drains back into the tank, of if you run our of fuel, the pump won't be able to draw fuel out of the tank and you'll have to fine some way to prime the line, or pressurize the tank until the line is full again.

As far as the shut off valve, this is needed in the event that there is a failure in the fuel system somewhere between the pump and engine. If a fuel line breaks (a possibility in an accident) or a seal in the carb fails, the pump will continue pushing fuel through the break and spray it around the engine compartment - a definite fire hazard.

Bill W

For aesthetic purposes
I mounted Backup elec fuel pump under the truck back by the fuel tank. there is a fuel line coupling on the frame rail ( by drivers side rear shock ) that you can use to install brass hose nipples to plumb the fuel line so no fuel line cutting. When I did my fuel pump I also plumbed in a spin on fuel filter and threw away the intank filter.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks